The Student Room Group

Does everyone who's married wear a wedding ring?

Is it compulsory to wear a wedding ring all the time?

I'm pretty sure some people who are married, don't wear one?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Also, how many wedding rings does an individual get from one person?
It's a symbol of love isn't it?

Like I know someone who had a diamond ring and then one day she was jsut wearing a plain one??
Reply 2
No, it's not compulsory.

Some people get given different rings, there are promise rings, engagement rings, the actual wedding band itself(which is often a plain gold band). You only get 1 official wedding ring, but there are other rings that people get during the process and as such may switch between them
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous

Like I know someone who had a diamond ring and then one day she was jsut wearing a plain one??

The diamond one is probably an engagement ring, the plain one is their wedding ring. Some people don't wear their (expensive) engagement ring all the time and keep it for special occasions. Some people in particular may be concerned about wearing it when walking in an unfamiliar area in case it attracts muggers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's not compulsory, and not everyone wears one.

When I was working in engineering, I never wore my wedding ring for safety reasons. I do however wear it all the time unless I am doing an activity which could be dangerous to so, such as sailing, or where I am likely to lose my ring, such as open water swimming.

My engagement ring is more decorative with diamonds and saphires, this I tend to just wear on special occasions.
It's not compulsory no.

A lot of people don't wear their wedding ring if it would get in the way whilst they are working (especially in manual jobs) or when they're doing sports or activities where it could be dangerous (or it could be easy to lose).

I have a few friends who don't wear their engagement ring all the time, the reason being because it is more expensive than their wedding ring and they want to save it for special occasions - I guess they're a bit worried about losing it too! :smile:
No could be due to the workplace, sports, high value ring etc etc.
(edited 5 years ago)

No. Many men don't, although both my wife and I wear ours. My wife does not wear her engagement ring other than for special occasions - it was her grandmother's.

It's really up to the couple to decide. Traditionally, women always do, but men may, or may not.
Original post by Miss Bones
unless I am doing an activity which could be dangerous to so, such as sailing

Interesting. I sail, including offshore, but have never had an issue with my ring. Where do you see the danger?
Original post by Volibear
Rings are so uncomfortable to wear. I'm not planning to wear one full-time if I get married.

Once you've worn one for a while, you don't notice it any more.

It's definitely compulsory. Wedding rings have secret powers; they allow you to control the police. Very useful if an officer pulls you over when driving. One ring to control them all. /s
Reply 12
Original post by TCFactor
It's definitely compulsory. Wedding rings have secret powers; they allow you to control the police. Very useful if an officer pulls you over when driving. One ring to control them all. /s

Only if it's precious.
(edited 5 years ago)
if they want someone on the side they won't wear it
Not obligatory. Others wear rings that were wedding rings for sentimental reasons, perhaps that belonged to an ancestor.
I remember a friend saying he doesn't wear one because he managed to lose his.

I once asked my dad why he's only just started wearing his again. It's because of work. He spent years doing manual work. Now, his current job does allow him to wear a wedding ring.
Original post by Doonesbury
Only if it's precious.

Its ever so useful for not getting challenge 25 at supermarkets.

Not every married person wears a ring, its certainly not compulsory. Just like not everyone wears engagement rings, we both just have plain wedding bands and haven't worn our engagement rings since our wedding day.

It's non-compulsory, some people like to wear a ring and some don't. It'll also depend on the situation, I usually wear mine except for situations where a ring could get in the way.

It also varies between cultures. In some South American cultures it's common for both partners to wear a plain ring while engaged and I believe (could be wrong, been a while since it was explained to me) swapped over to wedding rings when married.

Now for how it works in the anglo-sphere.

Traditionally a man will wear a wedding ring once married while a woman will wear an engagement ring commonly with a singular diamond (thanks to the diamond industry and an effective marketing campaign in the 1920/30's) when engaged and both a wedding ring and engagement ring once married, you can even get ring sets that come with both. The wedding ring worn inside, closer to the heart (something to do with veins and arteries), with the engagement ring on the outside.

These days, usually a woman/man who was proposed to (depends who's proposing I suppose and genders of the couple - I once met a gay couple where the one who was proposed to worth an engagement ring while a lesbian couple I met both worth engagement rings) will wear an engagement ring.
At the wedding ceremony the couple will often swap wedding rings, which are commonly plain rings of a singular material, gold/white gold (technically two, gold with a rhodium plating)/platinum/titanium/stainless steel/whatever they're using now.

Interesting fact, in the US inmates have to give up all personal items when going to prison except for their wedding rings.

Original post by claireestelle
Its ever so useful for not getting challenge 25 at supermarkets.

Unless you get married at 16 :wink:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Salostar
It's compulsory, some people like to wear a ring and some don't.

??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending