The Student Room Group

Dilemma on access course funding

uu
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by b0bbles
I finished college in June with a not so great grade due to issues with my home life and health. I really really want to go to university though.
I start a full time job in October as a healthcare assistant and am moving into a house share pretty soon. But I want to ensure I can get into uni next year so I would love to do an access course. However with working full time I don't know how I will be able to manage two days of college per week also. College would be ideal to do as I can get it funded.
But I found an online course (distance learning centre) where you can work at your own pace but I wouldn't be able to get it funded.

I made this post to see if anyone has any other options or ideas? I'd be especially grateful if there was any other online courses anyone knows of which can be funded through the advanced learner loan.

Access courses should be QAA verified.

http://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/Access/FAQs/Pages/Default.aspx

Online courses can be convenient, but they vary in quality.
There is no real life tutor or at least only support can be patchy.
You dont have other students to study with.

They work for some people and not others, so be warned. Try and be put in contact with students who have been on the course or used the as a provider.

The courses will tell you if they can be funded through advanced learner loans.

https://ava.accesstohe.ac.uk/SubSites/PublicSearch/Search.aspx

Be warned you are indicating you need to go to uni next year, but are working full time. It might take you longer as you appear to underestimate the amount of work involved and your ability is unknown. Doing it over two years would make more sense imo as you may not cope with a 1 year target.
Reply 2
Original post by b0bbles
I finished college in June with a not so great grade due to issues with my home life and health. I really really want to go to university though.
I start a full time job in October as a healthcare assistant and am moving into a house share pretty soon. But I want to ensure I can get into uni next year so I would love to do an access course. However with working full time I don't know how I will be able to manage two days of college per week also. College would be ideal to do as I can get it funded.
But I found an online course (distance learning centre) where you can work at your own pace but I wouldn't be able to get it funded.

I made this post to see if anyone has any other options or ideas? I'd be especially grateful if there was any other online courses anyone knows of which can be funded through the advanced learner loan.

I have just finished my Study with DLC. I can answer some specific questions for you about how it all works, if you are curious. I have a good idea of the workload too.

@999tigger makes a series of important points that are well worth considering. I definitely underestimated the work load, but was still able to complete the course within 8 months. It was not easy though.

Drop me a PM or reply on here, i'll see how I can help :smile:
My sister is doing access she starts Tom she has got a loan . To be honest when we went to the campus there were other students who had done the access course now a lot of them said it is hard and with you working u won't have time to do both because u are basically doing a 3 year course in one year and it's a 2 day course but you need to be doing a lot of independent studying in order to achieve the a levels. If I were u I would say focus on the access for a year and then work it's to much pressure for u. For funding u can take a loan out for it
If you are doing the online one u have to pay urself but my advice is doing it online is still a lot independent studying it's hard so I would just focus on that for a year .
Original post by DCDCo
I have just finished my Study with DLC. I can answer some specific questions for you about how it all works, if you are curious. I have a good idea of the workload too.

@999tigger makes a series of important points that are well worth considering. I definitely underestimated the work load, but was still able to complete the course within 8 months. It was not easy though.

Drop me a PM or reply on here, i'll see how I can help :smile:

Its a great shame there arent enough posters who make comments about their experience of distance learning access courses.

If you managed to cope with it, then you did well, but unfortunately many people do not think it through properly and I fear they make what they believe is an easier choice only to line the pockets of distance course providers who are keen to take the money but have inadequate courses and offer poor support. I think its a bit of a minefield.

On the side of caution I tend to suggest its wiser to have a bricks and mortar course with a teacher and course mates. there are good bad bad in both but i suspect a taught course means theres less risk of falling behind.

You also have the idea that many new students are not academic or suited towards distance even though it can be more convenient. It takes a certain amount of discipline organisation and self sufficiency. Ofc it is ideal for some if youve thought it through properly and you have the skills needed.

The alarm bells are having to get into uni next year, which is a bit run before you can walk and could end in tears. If you already have the skills its possible but sometimes people overestimate themselves.
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger
Its a great shame there arent enough posters who make comments about their experience of distance learning access courses.

If you managed to cope with it, then you did well, but unfortunately many people do not think it through properly and I fear they make what they believe is an easier choice only to line the pockets of distance course providers who are keen to take the money but have inadequate courses and offer poor support. I think its a bit of a minefield.

On the side of caution I tend to suggest its wiser to have a bricks and mortar course with a teacher and course mates. there are good bad bad in both but i suspect a taught course means theres less risk of falling behind.

You also have the idea that many new students are not academic or suited towards distance even though it can be more convenient. It takes a certain amount of discipline organisation and self sufficiency. Ofc it is ideal for some if youve thought it through properly and you have the skills needed.

The alarm bells are having to get into uni next year, which is a bit run before you can walk and could end in tears. If you already have the skills its possible but sometimes people overestimate themselves.

I agree. I think its clear from the posts I have seen on here and distance providers Facebook pages, that a swathe of students fall behind in their study and either do not complete it in time, or stop altogether. It requires considerable motivation to get the work done on your own. I work with almost complete autonomy in my professional life, yet, I too was guilty over the Christmas period of putting off my study. I ended up around a month behind and really had to knuckle down to finish on time. It would have been incredibly easy for me to have just stopped then, especially when the Uni's I was applying to were going to be getting back to me in February/March time. That tangible goal was simply not there to chase.

Brick and Mortar is, in my opinion, the safest option. That being said @AndrewMarkSP did his Access Course at a college and still noted that he had a number of students drop out from his class. Its a common theme. I imagine though, when studying from home, it's just much easier to call it a day because of how isolated the study is and no-one is really helping you along. I was fortunate that TSR was able to help with this.
Original post by DCDCo
I agree. I think its clear from the posts I have seen on here and distance providers Facebook pages, that a swathe of students fall behind in their study and either do not complete it in time, or stop altogether. It requires considerable motivation to get the work done on your own. I work with almost complete autonomy in my professional life, yet, I too was guilty over the Christmas period of putting off my study. I ended up around a month behind and really had to knuckle down to finish on time. It would have been incredibly easy for me to have just stopped then, especially when the Uni's I was applying to were going to be getting back to me in February/March time. That tangible goal was simply not there to chase.

Brick and Mortar is, in my opinion, the safest option. That being said @AndrewMarkSP did his Access Course at a college and still noted that he had a number of students drop out from his class. Its a common theme. I imagine though, when studying from home, it's just much easier to call it a day because of how isolated the study is and no-one is really helping you along. I was fortunate that TSR was able to help with this.

Yes, I was at a college provider and I would say maybe half of our original class actually completed their course. And maybe half of those who did scraped by with lower results. The college obviously made every effort to keep people on (for financial reasons, obviously) by extending deadlines and spoonfeeding enough to get student's that bare minimum pass. It won't help them going forward, though.

If you can't light a fire under your own backside and you aren't ready to knuckle down and put the work in, then it doesnt matter where youre looking at studying because you aren't ready for higher education yet, and should probably look at doing something else instead.
Original post by b0bbles

People on my course managed to work and do the course simultaneously, but it's hard! I started out working 32hours a week over 4 days and was in college the other 3 days 10-3/4 and was completely run down a couple months in. I ended up getting a different job and worked 20 hours and managed it fine. After the first 6 months, your course work starts to thin out so I was able to take on more hours again then.

I would advise asking your employers how flexible they are willing to be with your hours. The people in my class who let work become the priority over their studies were the ones who regularly missed classes and that reflected in their grades. If you want to go to University then that needs to be your main priority, not your employers.
You might look at Open University if they have any online access courses. They're more "recognised" so might be funded. Or you could try a brick and mortar uni with a good support system and that is close to your work (if you are working many hours and studying you don't want added commute time).

I haven't done an access course, however, I have worked whilst studying at a tough uni. It is important to try to do things on different days so you have a mental break and to establish a routine and timetable. If you find yourself getting worn out (I was worn out with only 10 hours a week), you should try and talk with your employer and university to see what they can do (easing up on coursework, fewer hours, working more in the breaks etc).

It's also very good to get an employer who is flexible. I know that that is more challenging when working full time or >20 hours and not working a shift pattern but otherwise the employer will always expect you to prioritise them. It is really helpful to have an employer who 'gets' that you are working part-time and are a human being with physical and mental limits. You should try to bring up studying part-time with them if you haven't already and see what they think about your proposed setup.
a while ago I started an online access course with dimensions training solutions which is QAA recognised and can be funded through the advanced learner loan. I actually got all 5 uni offers but I unfortunately never finished the course as I found it hard to study from home and the tutors were pretty useless. thought I'd mention it though for you to look into, if you're good at motivating yourself and working alone then it may be for you but I found it really hard (and I'm 21 so haven't even been away from education that long). the tutors don't really give you any help so you're pretty much alone and I know I would've much rather done gone to college to study an access course so I could actually talk to my teacher in person and get decent feedback!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending