The Student Room Group

We have had 1 lecture in total and have been given an assignment?

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can advise me on this. Our cohort has only
had one lecture for a module and we have been given an assignment. We have had some e-learning around the assignment topic which was put in place of the cancelled lecture and we have a lecture 5 days before it is due.

Can they do this? I know we are adult learners but I feel like we should have had at least 3 lectures way before the assignment due date?

Appreciate any advice x
Reply 1
Original post by 789caroline
Hi,

I feel like we should have had at least 3 lectures way before the assignment due date?

Why?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

had one lecture for a module and we have been given an assignment. We have had some e-learning around the assignment topic which was put in place of the cancelled lecture and we have a lecture 5 days before it is due.

Can they do this? I know we are adult learners but I feel like we should have had at least 3 lectures way before the assignment due date?

Appreciate any advice x

Is this at university? If so, they can set assignments whenever they like, with whatever deadlines they like.

If you're feeling unsure about the assignment, then why not see if you can speak to your tutor or a member of staff during their office hours.
Hi,

Appreciate any advice x

Sounds normal. At my uni, we were set essays at the very start of our first lecture, if not before. Lectures are meant for guidance and bouncing ideas off each other, which you then pursue with your own research out of class
Hi,

Appreciate any advice x

What course are you doing? Essay-based subjects usually don't involve much teaching and so the assignments aren't that relevant to what you've been taught. Lectures offer general outlines of topics and the compulsory readings, which are discussed in seminars, provide some initial detail, but most of what you learn - and place in assignments - is from independent research, going beyond the reading list. As long as you've got some initial readings to start with and provide direction, it shouldn't be unexpected.

Don't worry too much about it - my first assignment at uni was a formative and didn't go very well at all, but it didn't matter. Use it as a time to learn how to do university assignments and, whatever the mark is, a way to improve in the future.
Reply 5

This is my second degree. I just haven't come across a module where there is hardly any teaching. I thought we would have some classroom taught sessions and then start the assignment.

It just felt wrong having an assignment and 1 classroom based lecture.
Reply 6
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Is this at university? If so, they can set assignments whenever they like, with whatever deadlines they like.

If you're feeling unsure about the assignment, then why not see if you can speak to your tutor or a member of staff during their office hours.

Thanks for the reply.

I wanted to see what the correct expectations of a module were before I approached the tutor. It is my cohort that want me to approach them as I am the student rep. If it is normal, maybe an expectation at the beginning of the module should be set just to make students aware of how the course will run?
This is my second degree. I just haven't come across a module where there is hardly any teaching. I thought we would have some classroom taught sessions and then start the assignment.

It just felt wrong having an assignment and 1 classroom based lecture.

Obviously not at your uni.
I would just accept everyone else was in the same boat and do the best i could based on the know;ledge I had and research i was about to do. Just give them a decent effort as to what they want. Early essays tend to be ignored anyway.
Reply 8
Original post by doctorwhofan98
What course are you doing? Essay-based subjects usually don't involve much teaching and so the assignments aren't that relevant to what you've been taught. Lectures offer general outlines of topics and the compulsory readings, which are discussed in seminars, provide some initial detail, but most of what you learn - and place in assignments - is from independent research, going beyond the reading list. As long as you've got some initial readings to start with and provide direction, it shouldn't be unexpected.

Don't worry too much about it - my first assignment at uni was a formative and didn't go very well at all, but it didn't matter. Use it as a time to learn how to do university assignments and, whatever the mark is, a way to improve in the future.

Thanks for the reply.

My cohort have brought the issue to my attention as the student rep. I can understand their view as I think the lecturer should have set the expectations of the module at the beginning.

Before I e-mailed the lecturer needed to know the facts first.
Thanks for the reply.

I wanted to see what the correct expectations of a module were before I approached the tutor. It is my cohort that want me to approach them as I am the student rep. If it is normal, maybe an expectation at the beginning of the module should be set just to make students aware of how the course will run?

I do think it's good if lecturers give you an outline, so that you can know how much coursework to expect and when your deadlines are.

However, it isn't unusual to be given assignment early on. It's perhaps more common in labs and seminars where often every lab/seminar will lead to an assignment.

As student rep, I do think you need to pick your battles and think about what is reasonable to ask for- An outline of the module including deadlines is a reasonable ask imo. Asking to change the dates/timing of assignments isn't.
Thanks for the reply.

My cohort have brought the issue to my attention as the student rep. I can understand their view as I think the lecturer should have set the expectations of the module at the beginning.

Before I e-mailed the lecturer needed to know the facts first.

It is worth seeking a more transparent outline of the module so you all know what to expect and when. At my uni, the standard is to have an Assessment tab on the VLE, live from the start of term, which states exactly when formative and summative work is due, along with general expectations for each (word count and available questions).

Definitely approach it in terms of wanting transparency, rather than wanting a different assessment schedule. I'm sure they'll have deliberately placed the assignment at this point in the year.
I do think it's good if lecturers give you an outline, so that you can know how much coursework to expect and when your deadlines are.

However, it isn't unusual to be given assignment early on. It's perhaps more common in labs and seminars where often every lab/seminar will lead to an assignment.

As student rep, I do think you need to pick your battles and think about what is reasonable to ask for- An outline of the module including deadlines is a reasonable ask imo. Asking to change the dates/timing of assignments isn't.

I completely agree. I am going to go back to the cohort and let them know the university haven't broken any sort of procedure. When researched it, I couldn't find any information on correct teaching practices either.

I'll suggest that maybe a clearer module launch is needed which includes expectations around lectures and our own research etc.

Thanks again.
I completely agree. I am going to go back to the cohort and let them know the university haven't broken any sort of procedure. When researched it, I couldn't find any information on correct teaching practices either.

I'll suggest that maybe a clearer module launch is needed which includes expectations around lectures and our own research etc.

Thanks again.

The correct person to relay this to is the student rep.

Thanks again.

That sounds like a good plan- you don't want to use up all your capital as rep at the start of the year.

Original post by 999tigger
The correct person to relay this to is the student rep.

If you read OPs second post, she is the student rep and has been asked to raise this.
That sounds like a good plan- you don't want to use up all your capital as rep at the start of the year.

If you read OPs second post, she is the student rep and has been asked to raise this.

Fair enough. Still a lot of fuss over nothing though imo. Early essays in my experience tend to be easy starter essays and everyone will be in the same boat. Students should show some initiative.
Fair enough. Still a lot of fuss over nothing though imo. Early essays in my experience tend to be easy starter essays and everyone will be in the same boat. Students should show some initiative.

I don't disagree. I think it's nice to be told what to expect at the start of a module just for time management/planning reasons, but I don't see a problem with being set assignments straight away at all.
I don't disagree. I think it's nice to be told what to expect at the start of a module just for time management/planning reasons, but I don't see a problem with being set assignments straight away at all.

Tbf unless you were spoon fed then all teachers vary. If they wnat an essay after 24 hours, then they get one, but I have the knowledge everyone else is in the same boat and they cant reasonably expect miracles. id fancy my chances i wouldnt be the worst and if I was, then I might be at the wrong uni.

Give them want they want and negotiate after. Five days is plenty.
lecturers arent going to want tons of essays in any event as they have to mark them.
Tbf unless you were spoon fed then all teachers vary. If they wnat an essay after 24 hours, then they get one, but I have the knowledge everyone else is in the same boat and they cant reasonably expect miracles. id fancy my chances i wouldnt be the worst and if I was, then I might be at the wrong uni.

Give them want they want and negotiate after. Five days is plenty.
lecturers arent going to want tons of essays in any event as they have to mark them.

No, I totally agree- I'm sure they aren't expecting perfection in the first essay of a course as well and will account for that. As you say, everyone is in the same boat as well.

Having said that, on my undergrad course we had assignments from every lab (which were usually weekly or two weekly) so maybe my lecturers did enjoy having lots of marking!
Thanks everyone.

The university are quite good. They listen when a cohort objects to something. They put on an extra lecture, if you don't ask, you don't get.

Winner winner.

:-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending