Do I have to use up all of the 4000 characters for my UCAS personal statement?

Watch this thread
Silent0239
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Can it be shorter but still good?
Is it not advisable to use up all the space?
FloralHybrid
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Silent0239)
You can go under if you wish. If it’s noticeably under, it’ll look as though you couldn’t be bothered to fill the limit, which isn’t good.

So, if you are going to go under, don’t do it by much.
Sataris
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Try to use all the space, take the opportunity to say as much as you can (without waffling obvs)
daily_stoic
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
You can write as little as you like, but to increase your chances of getting in use up EVERY SINGLE character. Having too much to write is much better than not having enough to write, to be honest.

Also make sentences shorter and cut out unnecessary dribble that takes up space. You really want to maximize every sentence and word - biggest bang for your buck.

Good luck!
oodpos
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
There's honestly no reason to make it shorter...
username1230881
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
You don't have to use all 4,000 characters, and bear in mind the UCAS limit of 47 lines. You might have to use a hundred or so characters less than the character limit in order to fit it in the line limit.

But if you're talking about writing less than 3,800 or so, then it's not advisable. Personal statements are short even when they're at their maximum length and there's no reason to make your application less competitive!
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Anywhere between 1000 and 4000 characters. You'll probably hit the line limit first. Don't make it all one paragraph - put an effort into formatting, nobody likes a wall of text.
Silent0239
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Any idea where can I post my PS to get some feedback? I am about to finish my 3rd draft and I wanted to have gotten more feedback before I hand it to the teachers to have a loot at.

(Original post by doctorwhofan98)
You don't have to use all 4,000 characters, and bear in mind the UCAS limit of 47 lines. You might have to use a hundred or so characters less than the character limit in order to fit it in the line limit.

But if you're talking about writing less than 3,800 or so, then it's not advisable. Personal statements are short even when they're at their maximum length and there's no reason to make your application less competitive!
username1230881
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Any idea where can I post my PS to get some feedback? I am about to finish my 3rd draft and I wanted to have gotten more feedback before I hand it to the teachers to have a loot at.
TSR has a personal statement review system: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/con...SR-PS-reviewer. I haven't used it myself so I don't know what quality of feedback you'll get, but it is confidential and apparently all PS reviewers are at least at university.
username3731912
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
you really should be close to it, most ppl struggle to keep within the word/line limit, there's so much to write about
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (130)
66.33%
No (44)
22.45%
I didn't use it to prepare (22)
11.22%

Watched Threads