travellerturtle
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi everyone, I am a year 13 international student hoping to read law in Cambridge (2019 entry), and I am currently having a hard time deciding whether I should apply to Trinity.

All my friends and teacher warned me against it because Trinity is notoriously competitive. Although I have exceeded the predicted grades equivalent of A*AA (I am not taking A-levels), my grades are rather modest, and my teachers think I am likely to be out competed in a popular course like law.

However, a few months ago I have had the opportunity to visit Trinity College because I was one of the winners for their law essay competition. I met the law fellows and fell in love with the college. I really wanted to apply to Trinity, and I was wondering if winning the essay competition will give me a small edge over other applicants on applying to Trinity.

So, should I apply to Trinity at all? Any advice would be greatly appreciated Thanks in advance!
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by travellerturtle)
Hi everyone, I am a year 13 international student hoping to read law in Cambridge (2019 entry), and I am currently having a hard time deciding whether I should apply to Trinity.

All my friends and teacher warned me against it because Trinity is notoriously competitive. Although I have exceeded the predicted grades equivalent of A*AA (I am not taking A-levels), my grades are rather modest, and my teachers think I am likely to be out competed in a popular course like law.

However, a few months ago I have had the opportunity to visit Trinity College because I was one of the winners for their law essay competition. I met the law fellows and fell in love with the college. I really wanted to apply to Trinity, and I was wondering if winning the essay competition will give me a small edge over other applicants on applying to Trinity.

So, should I apply to Trinity at all? Any advice would be greatly appreciated Thanks in advance!
Go to the Cambridge section and read through the thread hosted by the Murray Edwards admissions tutor. There are also other threads there which might shed light on your question.
username3731912
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
you meet the requirements, you clearly are a well rounded student given u won a student law competition and you can write well which will be great for the law admissions test.

apply!
travellerturtle
Rep:
?
Thank you very much! I will check out on the thread
Faction Paradox
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

A) The pool evens things out so that you aren't disadvantaged in likelihood of getting a place whatever college you apply to and
B) Trinity last year was one of the less oversubscribed colleges for Law, out of the 29 colleges who gave offers for law Trinity had the 24th highest number of applicants per place (although there isn't much difference between most colleges)

So if you like Trinity, apply to Trinity
travellerturtle
Rep:
?
Does anyone know if a grade equivalent of roughly A*A*A is competitive enough for law?
Does it matter if I go way beyond A*AA or Cambridge does not care as long as I have met the minimum requirements?
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Does anyone know if a grade equivalent of roughly A*A*A is competitive enough for law?
Does it matter if I go way beyond A*AA or Cambridge does not care as long as I have met the minimum requirements?
What are your actual grades in whatever system you were educated in? Cambridge is savvy enough, as are we on here, to be able to deal with the specifics. You may well find a TSRian with your quals who can give a direct answer, rather than work through 'equivalents'.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (12)
13.48%
I need help researching courses (7)
7.87%
I need help with filling out the application form (5)
5.62%
I need help with my personal statement (36)
40.45%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (23)
25.84%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.25%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (4)
4.49%

Watched Threads