Should I do four a-levels or three a-levels and an EPQ?

Watch
deej__xx
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I've just started year 12 and hope to study medicine, my options are chemistry, biology, psychology and history. My sixth form also offer an EPQ which I am thinking of doing and making my research related to an aspect of medicine and drop history which isn't as helpful in terms of transferable skills to medicine. Or I could consider doing all four a-levels as well as the EPQ but I'm worried that the workload maybe too much alongside volunteering, work experience etc, although I know I'm already at a disadvantage for not choosing A-level maths or physics which is not a typical requirement for medical skills but subjects that the majority of successful medicine applicants do have. What should I do?
Sataris
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You've already got chem and bio which are pretty much all you need. If I were you I would do the EPQ instead of history and make it something you can really delve into at interview
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by deej__xx)
I've just started year 12 and hope to study medicine, my options are chemistry, biology, psychology and history. My sixth form also offer an EPQ which I am thinking of doing and making my research related to an aspect of medicine and drop history which isn't as helpful in terms of transferable skills to medicine. Or I could consider doing all four a-levels as well as the EPQ but I'm worried that the workload maybe too much alongside volunteering, work experience etc, although I know I'm already at a disadvantage for not choosing A-level maths or physics which is not a typical requirement for medical skills but subjects that the majority of successful medicine applicants do have. What should I do?
You need AAA as a priority so you should follow the strategy that has the best chance of delivering it.

3 A levels= all effort focused on getting the grade and no waste.

4 A levels= sometimes people drop one after year 12, gives the insurance you dont underestimate one and can drop the one you are weak in.
Carry on with all 4 then you have 4 chances to get the grades, so a spare. Your efforts are shared amongst 4 and not 3.

You have to work out your best chance.

Whether or not to do an EPQ you should look at the advantage.
In rare cases it might drop the offer by one grade.

Alternatively it can strengthen your PS and make you stand out a bit by being a topic to discuss at interview.

You have to decide whether the schools you are applying for take it into account and whether its worth the time and resources that could be spent on A levels.

AAA is your priority, the rest is finding a strategy which suits you and you can cope with.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (23)
8.52%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.07%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
17.04%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.07%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (78)
28.89%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
17.41%

Watched Threads