The Student Room Group

Punished for being single?

What do you guys think about the issues presented in this article?
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/personalfinance/the-hidden-horrifying-costs-of-being-single/ar-BBMUccy?ocid=spartanntp Have you experience any of them? I've definitely had to fork out more on gym membership than my coupled friends, which is quite weird now that I think about it? What do you think it says about society? Not just in a financial way, but how singledom is viewed and reflected in a multitude of ways that create and propel society.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/personalfinance/the-hidden-horrifying-costs-of-being-single/ar-BBMUccy?ocid=spartanntp Have you experience any of them? I've definitely had to fork out more on gym membership than my coupled friends, which is quite weird now that I think about it? What do you think it says about society? Not just in a financial way, but how singledom is viewed and reflected in a multitude of ways that create and propel society.

Ouch, that council tax.,,

From the other side of things, living costs might go up. Like going somewhere to see parents or date night or whatever. And a large time investment. And hassle.
Reply 2
I guess part of it is the government trying to encourage an increase in birth rate.

Honestly I just read that article and it seems like whining. Couples can live more cheaply because they share space and they share things.

Being single has advantages and am sure many couples would rather be single if they end up stuck in a dead end relationship.

The alternative is to join them and give up the single life and couple up then you can have all the amazing advantages in the article.

Not sure its worth any angst over or stressing how much a victim you are.
Reply 4
I disagree with a lot of that article TBH. Being in a relationship and/or marriage, the financial cost of keeping the other person happy is always gonna be high. Dating, holidays, gifts, travelling to meet in-laws, spending money on a wedding, having children etc etc. All these things are necessary to keep a potential life partner happy otherwise it puts unnecessary stress on your relationship (especially when women don't get their way). :tongue: Two people in a relationship might disagree on how freely they should be spending money, which means one person might spend more than they earn whereas the other person might prefer to budget. Things like having a joint bank account mean you have no control over how your money will be spent, unless you trust the other person implicitly to take care with money. But I don't think many people nowadays can say that they do.

On the other hand, being single means I don't have to worry about any of these things. If I so wish, I could spend as much as I want, or spend less and put more money into savings. I don't have to worry about how any of my financial decisions might affect another person, nor do I have to worry that another person might have bad spending habits that I disagree with. I could buy/rent a property by myself without having to worry about sharing space, compromising on my tastes nor having to buy back x% of the property from another person in the event of a relationship breakdown. I'm of the opinion that a man should be entirely self-reliant (living independently, financially stable, steady income etc) before inviting a partner into his life. It's harder to become self-sufficient if you get into a relationship earlier in your life as it slows down your progress towards these things I've highlighted.

There are two explanations to this for me:

Part A -
the key part of the article for me is:
"First, the government is intent on creating an anti-single state"

- not anti-single, but certainly all governments across the world want to create a state that promotes married stable families. The reasons are simple: families are the foundation of society, and no large successful culture has prospered without them. They act as a self-contained and self-helping unit that will care for each other, financially help each other, maintain each other over generations, etc. Without families, the government would have endless more work to do - and no country could ever afford to live that way.. even if they somehow figured out how to properly do child-birth outside of a family structure.

For me, and many others - I would actually like the goverment to do even more to promote family units - give families even more! Because right now, devorce is up, and families are breaking and becoming more disconected.. and its a very damaging trend for society.

Bart B -
Economies of scale, and norms.

The second part is just simple economics.. there is a reason hotels are cheaper for couples - because most people staying in hotels are couples, so they tailor their rooms as such..

there is a reason why gym memberships often have discounts for couples - because by giving it a bit cheaper they can secure two new customers instead of one etc.

All these things are no punishment or bias, they are just simple economic reactions to the state of society.. and simply capitalist ways for companies to maximize their profits.
nah man these are family discounts

it's just worded differently
A lot of it is just complaining from someone who can't get in a relationship.

I really can't fathom why anyone would regard paying to go out on a date as a punishment.
I've never come across gym memberships that are cheaper for couples.

They forgot food. I've lost the amount of food I've had to throw away because it goes off so quickly. I live alone and it's almost impossible to get something that's for one person. It's usually for 2 people. Or rather, it's cheaper per £ for 2 people.
Reply 9
Original post by Tiger Rag
I've never come across gym memberships that are cheaper for couples.

They forgot food. I've lost the amount of food I've had to throw away because it goes off so quickly. I live alone and it's almost impossible to get something that's for one person. It's usually for 2 people. Or rather, it's cheaper per £ for 2 people.

I don't understand what you mean. You're saying you can't buy food for 1 person? :redface:
Water bills - single people are charged the same amount as a family (unless there's a water meter in their property).
Council tax - why is a single person discount just 25%?
Holidays - single people are often stung with a single person supplement.
Groceries - smaller loaves of bread, smaller bottles of milk, smaller bags of salad often work out more expensive then larger (family) ones.
TV licence - charged per house, so works out as more expensive for a single person.
What do you mean punished for being single?

A load of *******s.
Original post by 999tigger
Honestly I just read that article and it seems like whining. Couples can live more cheaply because they share space and they share things.

Being single has advantages and am sure many couples would rather be single if they end up stuck in a dead end relationship.

The alternative is to join them and give up the single life and couple up then you can have all the amazing advantages in the article.

Not sure its worth any angst over or stressing how much a victim you are.

Where did I say I was stressing about being a victim? Such a peculair word to use in this context, since every single one of us is/has been/will be single. But yeah, I agree with everything you say before the last paragraph. I guess I was trying to dig deeper into a sociological nature and the subtleties of it all rather than just dismissing it as whining, even if I mostly agree it is in fact just that. I should have posted it in Society, or Philosophy lol
Original post by fallen_acorns
There are two explanations to this for me:

Part A -
the key part of the article for me is:
"First, the government is intent on creating an anti-single state"

- not anti-single, but certainly all governments across the world want to create a state that promotes married stable families. The reasons are simple: families are the foundation of society, and no large successful culture has prospered without them. They act as a self-contained and self-helping unit that will care for each other, financially help each other, maintain each other over generations, etc. Without families, the government would have endless more work to do - and no country could ever afford to live that way.. even if they somehow figured out how to properly do child-birth outside of a family structure.

For me, and many others - I would actually like the goverment to do even more to promote family units - give families even more! Because right now, devorce is up, and families are breaking and becoming more disconected.. and its a very damaging trend for society.

Bart B -
Economies of scale, and norms.

The second part is just simple economics.. there is a reason hotels are cheaper for couples - because most people staying in hotels are couples, so they tailor their rooms as such..

there is a reason why gym memberships often have discounts for couples - because by giving it a bit cheaper they can secure two new customers instead of one etc.

All these things are no punishment or bias, they are just simple economic reactions to the state of society.. and simply capitalist ways for companies to maximize their profits.

I agree. You explained it well.
Most councils give you a discount if you live on your own. I get 40% off mine.
Original post by HappyBuddah
Water bills - single people are charged the same amount as a family (unless there's a water meter in their property).

TV licence - charged per house, so works out as more expensive for a single person.

These aren't extra costs for being single per se, but simply for living on your own. Many single people house share, which can be a very cheap way to live compared to the price of running a full household.

Council tax - why is a single person discount just 25%?

Because council tax is based on an approximate value of your house, not the number of people living there (aside from the single person discount). The alternative, charging per person in the household is very regressive and led to riots when Thatcher tried it.

Holidays - single people are often stung with a single person supplement.

I've never paid a single person supplement, although I always book double rooms for myself for the comfort. Being single and holidays are great as you can do what the **** you want without being concerned about the wishes of another person.

Groceries - smaller loaves of bread, smaller bottles of milk, smaller bags of salad often work out more expensive then larger (family) ones.

Very true. It just results in food waste, which I hate.
Original post by Drewski
Most councils give you a discount if you live on your own. I get 40% off mine.

40%? :O You need to check that as it's 25% everywhere!!
https://www.which.co.uk/money/tax/council-tax/reducing-your-council-tax-bill-atcsu6q474gl
Original post by HappyBuddah

Can categorically guarantee its 40% for me, though I'm at work so don't have my documents to hand.

Was actually a little miffed because when I moved a couple of years ago I stepped just out from one council boundary to another and it went to 40% from 50%...
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by asif007
I don't understand what you mean. You're saying you can't buy food for 1 person? :redface:

I can. But I'm throwing a lot of stuff away because it just goes off so quickly.

I lost count of the amount of milk I used to throw away because it would go off so quickly, until I switched to UHT.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending