The Student Room Group

Last minute gap year or uni?!

Okay, it's a lil late but I'm beyond conflicted.
On one hand, I'm thinking of a gap year. For the majority of my summer holidays I have been working so don't feel like I've gotten an actual 'break.' Likewise, the thought of going to uni straight away scares me, as I feel like when I leave uni I'll be so unprepared and unfamiliar with non-uni/academic life. At least on a gap year I'll experience a long period of time not being in school, and not being forced to stick to a routine giving me independence.
For my gap year I was planning on part time work and work experience, as well as maybe travelling a bit since it's cheaper. A perk could also be that I could show up to my friends freshers as well (lol), reconnect with people etc because yer 13 just felt like a hectic whirlwind.
On the other hand, a gap year is a whole year, a very long time. Am I romanticising it too much? Don't get me wrong, I know I'm not going to have fun everyday of that year but realistically I'll still be living under my parents roof and their rules which are less flexible that compared to if I went to uni. I know other people will only be a year younger than me in uni if I go on a gap year but I still feel like it's not the same and all my friends are ahead of me.
Has anyone taken a last minute gap year? How has it worked out?
Reply 1
Now that you've left school it's time to stop worrying about your friends being ahead of you - life is more flexible now. Gap years are only a bad idea if you don't have a plan or if you waste them doing nothing. Work experience will become a great help later on. And yeah it's another year living under your parents' roof but what's another year after eighteen of them? You'll still get the full uni experience afterwards. It sounds like you aren't in a rush to finish uni and get started on a career, which the is the main thing that scares people off gap years. I would say go for it, but only if you have a solid plan in place
Reply 2
Original post by Sataris
Now that you've left school it's time to stop worrying about your friends being ahead of you - life is more flexible now. Gap years are only a bad idea if you don't have a plan or if you waste them doing nothing. Work experience will become a great help later on. And yeah it's another year living under your parents' roof but what's another year after eighteen of them? You'll still get the full uni experience afterwards. It sounds like you aren't in a rush to finish uni and get started on a career, which the is the main thing that scares people off gap years. I would say go for it, but only if you have a solid plan in place

Hey man, thanks for the advice. Turns out my uni isn't letting me defer :smile: guess its uni for now :smile:))))))) :smile: :smile:))
would u say just part time working is a solid plan for a gap year no travel -

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending