Are my grades good enough for Kings law? Watch

FaisalIB2019
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
hey guys! I'm currently applying for 2019 entry but I'm a bit anxious about my GCSE grades. I was really immature and stupid at the time and now I know that no matter how good everything else is, my GCSE's will hinder me. They are as follows:
English literature: A*
Arabic: A*
English: A
Bio: B
RE: B
Chemistry: C
History: C
Business : D
ict: F
for math I got a D, I resat and got a C ( KCL want a B). I didn't do good at maths because I didn't have a math teacher all year 11 and my school didn't do anything about it ( if my referee mentions that, will it help?). For ICT, our teacher was really bad and many failed.

I'm currently doing IB and my predicted is 41 points with 776 at HL, I really have changed. I'm doing psychology (7), English lit(6), and Arabic (7)as HL's, with history(6), biology(6), and math studies(6) at SL. I have work experience shadowing a solicitor, visited courts, read law books, MUN, student shadowing at LSE and according to my supervisor, my personal statement is good so far ( still on 2nd draft).
I am going to sit the LNAT at the end of October.
my question is, with my academic ' achievement', my personal statement and predicted grades, as well as a good LNAT score, do I have a chance at kings?
Thank you and I'm sorry if this was a long post, just needed some reassurance\ reality check.
Arbitio LNAT
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by FaisalIB2019)
hey guys! I'm currently applying for 2019 entry but I'm a bit anxious about my GCSE grades. I was really immature and stupid at the time and now I know that no matter how good everything else is, my GCSE's will hinder me. They are as follows:
English literature: A*
Arabic: A*
English: A
Bio: B
RE: B
Chemistry: C
History: C
Business : D
ict: F
for math I got a D, I resat and got a C ( KCL want a B). I didn't do good at maths because I didn't have a math teacher all year 11 and my school didn't do anything about it ( if my referee mentions that, will it help?). For ICT, our teacher was really bad and many failed.

I'm currently doing IB and my predicted is 41 points with 776 at HL, I really have changed. I'm doing psychology (7), English lit(6), and Arabic (7)as HL's, with history(6), biology(6), and math studies(6) at SL. I have work experience shadowing a solicitor, visited courts, read law books, MUN, student shadowing at LSE and according to my supervisor, my personal statement is good so far ( still on 2nd draft).
I am going to sit the LNAT at the end of October.
my question is, with my academic ' achievement', my personal statement and predicted grades, as well as a good LNAT score, do I have a chance at kings?
Thank you and I'm sorry if this was a long post, just needed some reassurance\ reality check.
Hi!

Kings Law is definitely competitive, however KCL (as other top universities for Law) give a lot of attention to your LNAT score.

A high LNAT score can really stand out and be the factor that gets you noticed and may lead to an interview at least if they are still questioning your GCSE grades. I wouldn't be put off by your GCSEs seeing that you really do have great work experience and if you do really well in your IB then that shouldn't be a problem. But doing well in the LNAT can be trumping factor here (as it often is) seeing that this test is meant to show your potential to do well in a Law degree specifically. It has been known to play a crucial role in the selection process, which is why Oxbridge especially puts such a heavy weight on the score and pay such close attention to the essay component of the test. Be hopeful, you are evidently a promising student!

Best of luck,
Arbitio
Lileggg
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello it says on their website “five GCSEs at grade C or above, including English Language, Mathematics and Science.”
Stychomythia
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi Faisall,

I see no reason why you shouldn't apply to King's and have a really good go at your LSat.

You've already demonstrated a commitment to Law as a career and you satisfy the formal requirements. Have you done any debating/public speaking? This always helps, even if you're not thinking of being a barrister. In general you haven't mentioned much extra-curricular search, but you should mention it. These people will see the profiles of hundreds of people. Why are you different? How will that difference make you a good lawyer? Start thinking yourself into the place.

Start thinking about your personal statement/interview etc and of who you are and how you present yourself to your potential universities. You can do it! I'm sure King's will be happy to have you.

One thing , though: "I didn't do good at maths" should be "I didn't do well at maths". Grammar counts in the law!
anayadhawan
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi guys!
My friend last year had a prediction of 43 at the IB but she messed up her LNAT and was rejected by KCL. I can def say that KCL, more than other unis, put A LOT of stress on the LNAT.
I currently am predicted a 43 777 and am sitting the LNAT at the end of oct
I AM TERRIFIED
any tips?
Stychomythia
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
anayadhawan

My tip? Don't be terrified.

Many very successful lawyers did a different subject for their first degree and changed to law later. Consider the same. If there's a subject you are better at, and might secretly want to do more, do that. You might also get into a better university into the bargain! Breadth helps in law, and thinking a different way before you start a legal career can be a real advantage. My own view is that Philosophy/Theology are the ideal ubjects to study before a law conversion course. Everyone in Law has to do a Masters these days, anyway.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you registered to vote?

18-20 years old (yes) (243)
54%
18-20 years old (no) (57)
12.67%
20-25 years old (yes) (74)
16.44%
20-25 years old (no) (9)
2%
25-30 years old (yes) (24)
5.33%