mez's guide to not getting disowned: a year 11 gyg Watch

mez_merising
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
sixth form...to stay or not to stay that is the question whether tis nobl-

uhhh so i've got a dilemma about choosing sixth forms and a-levels and would really appreciate some help in deciding because i am super super indecisive

so first, sixth forms... i'm choosing between three:
-my current school's sixth form (a girls grammar school)
-the equivalent boys grammar school that takes girls into their sixth form
-city of london for girls sixth form (a private school)

obviously, i won't reveal what school i go to for privacy reasons...but yeah so my friends and i made a list of pros and cons for staying and leaving;

leaving:
-better teaching staff
-better facilities and equipment
-more trips

staying:
-comfortable environment with people i know
-choose preferred a-levels*
-free education
-easier to obtain roles of responsibility
-nothing too strenuous for pe lmao
-lower grade point average**

*i'll explain this in an a level post but basically if i stayed at my current school i'd take bio chem maths?/physics? psychology and epq but at the others they don't offer psychology so i would defo have to take physics which im really not down for

**this would be better as if i (hopefully) come out with a higher grade point av. than my schools' av. then it looks better for me, but at the other sixth forms they have a high av. anyway, so even if i achieve high it would be good but it would work more in my favour if i'm higher than the school av.

i will attend the open days before deciding:
note: boys sixth form doesn't have an exam, but city does AND the entrance exam is on the day of my art mock exam oh my god so that's a dilemma and a half but luckily two other girls from my school who also take art are thinking of applying so maybe we will be able to arrange some sort of alternative date hopefully....

oh and i'll be applying for a bursary plus art & drama scholarships for city so hopefully i'll get some kind of deduction off the fees?
Last edited by mez_merising; 3 months ago
Lemur14
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
It works differently in different areas but in my area you can apply for as many as you want and then basically keep your place open until April at any of them (and tbh even if on results day you wanted to stay, most schools would keep you)
I nearly didn't apply to the place I ended up at so I'd say apply to all 3 and see how you feel later. Moving for sixth form (especially if it's to a large one) can be a good mid step before uni if you want to go, particularly if it gives you more independence etc.
Equally a familiar environment definitely has it's pros, teachers know you etc.
Also consider if either school has something in place to allow you to take psychology elsewhere, a lot of schools have partnerships with other schools which allows them to offer A levels they couldn't otherwise offer.
Hope that gives you some things to think about, but most of all give it time, a natural decision may appear later

Posted from TSR Mobile
mez_merising
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lemur14)
It works differently in different areas but in my area you can apply for as many as you want and then basically keep your place open until April at any of them (and tbh even if on results day you wanted to stay, most schools would keep you)
I nearly didn't apply to the place I ended up at so I'd say apply to all 3 and see how you feel later. Moving for sixth form (especially if it's to a large one) can be a good mid step before uni if you want to go, particularly if it gives you more independence etc.
Equally a familiar environment definitely has it's pros, teachers know you etc.
Also consider if either school has something in place to allow you to take psychology elsewhere, a lot of schools have partnerships with other schools which allows them to offer A levels they couldn't otherwise offer.
Hope that gives you some things to think about, but most of all give it time, a natural decision may appear later

Posted from TSR Mobile
thanks for the reply!
the only thing is, city has a offer deadline which is mid-december which is super close so i dont think i can leave my options open until later on to decide eeeek
mez_merising
Rep:
?
a-levels? more like go a-way levels ha ha hhhhh

so if you've read the above dilemma about my sixth form uh dilemma? then you'll know my problem

ideally i'd love to do four a-levels and maybe if i needed to drop one after year 13 but i'd rather not. and if you don't already know, i'd really love to study medicine although im still like 90% sure (still looking into dentistry and medically related stuff)

so for med i have to take chemistry & 2 sciences or maths and science

my current school offers the choice of 4 a levels with a 5th choice of either an epq or further maths a level
defo taking
-bio
-chem
-psychology
-then the last two are between maths and physics,
im better at maths but find physics way more interesting although the concepts baffle me (any help on which to choose and why?) still debating between epq and fm but leaning more towards epq because if im taking science heavy subjects it would be good for me to show that i can sorta write essays i guess?

other sixth forms:

the boys sixth:
same structure 4 a-levels + epq
-bio
-chem
and then i can choose between maths, physics, futher maths

city girls sixth form:
so im not entirely sure because the website isnt clear but i think its four & epq so
-bio
-chem
-maths/physics/fm

but they do this maths plus course which is a maths a-level but fm as level in y13 but you only end up with 3 a levels? idk i need to double check
Last edited by mez_merising; 3 months ago
Lemur14
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by mez_merising)
thanks for the reply!
the only thing is, city has a offer deadline which is mid-december which is super close so i dont think i can leave my options open until later on to decide eeeek
That's still 2 months to make your mind up so don't panic
You need to think about what would realistically be best for you (eg. If you struggle to learn independently it may be better to go somewhere with better teaching so you'll get more from the lessons)
And what's most important to you (eg. If that's psychology then you should stay)
I ended up listing pros and cons of everywhere and got the same number of each :facepalm: which really helped to lay out exactly what each decision meant and the affect it would have.

Posted from TSR Mobile
mez_merising
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lemur14)
That's still 2 months to make your mind up so don't panic
You need to think about what would realistically be best for you (eg. If you struggle to learn independently it may be better to go somewhere with better teaching so you'll get more from the lessons)
And what's most important to you (eg. If that's psychology then you should stay)
I ended up listing pros and cons of everywhere and got the same number of each :facepalm: which really helped to lay out exactly what each decision meant and the affect it would have.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ah ok thanks!
Lemur14
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
ah ok thanks!
You're welcome :hugs:
Wherever you end up you'll probably think it was the best decision anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
mez_merising
Rep:
?
someone tell me an easy way to make a tag list, im sick of having to type everyone's names in every time
04MR17
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
bio chem maths?/physics? psychology and epq

WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH there young lady. Too many. Don't take 4. The only reason you should do 4 is if you actually enjoy all thw subjects. But I'd put money on it that you won't enjoy them when it's trippe the workload.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
entertainmyfaith
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
someone tell me an easy way to make a tag list, im sick of having to type everyone's names in every time
d'you want me to send a video to you on the bb code?
mez_merising
Rep:
?
(Original post by entertainmyfaith)
d'you want me to send a video to you on the bb code?
please 🙏🏼🙏🏼
mez_merising
Rep:
?
(Original post by 04MR17)
bio chem maths?/physics? psychology and epq

WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH there young lady. Too many. Don't take 4. The only reason you should do 4 is if you actually enjoy all thw subjects. But I'd put money on it that you won't enjoy them when it's trippe the workload.
too many? aw really, oh well...
04MR17
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
too many? aw really, oh well...
Yes. Pretty much all unis (with very few exceptions) say they'd prefer 3 A Levels with higher grades than 4 A Levels with slightly lower. A*AA > AAAB. If you're planning on going to university and think doing 4 A Levels will help you, it won't.:nah:
Ferrari101
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago

so i didnt get my history mock back smh my teacher's excuse was 'my mum's computer broke' lmaoooooooooooooooo then can i use that excuse for not doing my homework k cool thanks
and yeah art was sorta productive i did all my backgrounds so hopefully i can get some more work done. i'll add a picture in a bit.

how was your day? i love reading your comments so please feel free to leave anything!

Omggg Jiminnnnnn!!!!
Do you stab BTS too????
entertainmyfaith
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
please 🙏🏼🙏🏼
sent it to you on snapchat
mez_merising
Rep:
?
(Original post by 04MR17)
Yes. Pretty much all unis (with very few exceptions) say they'd prefer 3 A Levels with higher grades than 4 A Levels with slightly lower. A*AA > AAAB. If you're planning on going to university and think doing 4 A Levels will help you, it won't.:nah:
ah that’s good to know. even my dad was like ‘you take 4 a levels, why?’ I guess I’ll take four anyway and see if I need to drop it to three as most do within the first weeks of y12. But I think I can deal with it, i mean I took gcse art and even though I practically cry every night hey I’m still here
mez_merising
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ferrari101)
Omggg Jiminnnnnn!!!!
Do you stab BTS too????
did you mean stan😂😂 then yes!
mez_merising
Rep:
?
(Original post by entertainmyfaith)
sent it to you on snapchat
much love💕
Ferrari101
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
did you mean stan😂😂 then yes!
OMG !!! Whooops my auto correct is very stupid 😹😹 I meant stan... but my auto correct changes is to stab 😹
Yayay!
Who’s your bias??
mez_merising
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ferrari101)
OMG !!! Whooops my auto correct is very stupid 😹😹 I meant stan... but my auto correct changes is to stab 😹
Yayay!
Who’s your bias??
jimin🐥🐥
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (879)
79.98%
Leave (220)
20.02%

Watched Threads