The Student Room Group

Medicine Gap Year

I finished year 13 and I got AAB ( English Lit , Chem , and Bio) .Obviously that doesn't meet the minimum requirements of AAA , and I only decided to change courses and go for medicine after my exams. I'm thinking of resitting 2 exams for biology , get work experience and take a gap year.

My main question is would I apply after my gap year for 2020 entry or October this year ? Bearing in mind I haven't really got any medical work expeirence yet. Secondly , should I resit or just apply to the eligible foundation year (Nottingham, Kings , Leciester ) Any advice would be appreciated :smile:
Original post by Becs_x
I finished year 13 and I got AAB ( English Lit , Chem , and Bio) .Obviously that doesn't meet the minimum requirements of AAA , and I only decided to change courses and go for medicine after my exams. I'm thinking of resitting 2 exams for biology , get work experience and take a gap year.

My main question is would I apply after my gap year for 2020 entry or October this year ? Bearing in mind I haven't really got any medical work expeirence yet. Secondly , should I resit or just apply to the eligible foundation year (Nottingham, Kings , Leciester ) Any advice would be appreciated :smile:

So the deadline for medicine for 2019 is:

15 October 2018 at 18:00 (UK time) any course at the universities of Oxford and Cambridge, or for most courses in medicine, veterinary medicine/science, and dentistry. You can add choices with a different deadline later, but don’t forget you can only have five choices in total.

Some unis accept deferred applications, but theres no point with your imo and you need to wait for the next cycle i.e apply for 2020 next year. You would also have your known grades and strengthened your application.

Be aware Unis are very picky about resits for medicine and many will not take them. You need to check.

Also be aware that foundation medicine often has contextual requirements and isnt just an alternative if your grades arent high enough.
I'm actually pretty much in the same situation as you. I just completed my A-levels and achieved AAB in biology, sociology and chemistry respectively. I'm currently taking a gap year and hope to apply to a foundation medicine course. In my opinion, resitting isn't for me, as even if I do improve my grade, many universities won't accept resists. I haven't got much medical work experience either. However as long as you have some work experience and you are able to express the skills you have gained from whatever experience you have got, you should be fineThe application deadline for medicine is October 15th if you wish to start in 2019. Best of luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending