Oyster Card validity clarification for UH students and others.

Watch
UnclePete
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Some students I speak to, especially those from abroad or resident in London can understandably get confused as to the extent of validity of the TfL ( Transport for London ) Oyster Cards and if, or not, they can be used to and from either Hatfield or St. Albans rail stations which are the ones UH students use the most.

The Oystercard is NOT unfortunately currently validat either Hatfield or St. Albans, as these stations fall outside - just-the TfL zones. I have heard it so many times it will be extended to St. Albans/ Luton & Hatfield / Welwyn/Stevenage etc. that I `ll believe so when it actually happens! Maybe if TfL take over the current train franchise when the GTL one expires a few years down the road as has been mooted, it will then..... such has happened where the OC is valid on the London Liverpool Street- Hertford East Abellio services ( but not GTL services from/to Moorgate / KingsCross /Hertford North).

On the King`s Cross- Hatfield route OC`s are only valid as far as Hadley Wood, next station London bound in from Potters Bar. On the St.Pancras -St. Albans line it is Elstree & Borehamwood . Both these stations are on the limit of the TfL zone 6 : on the Underground it is High Barnet, Cockfosters, Edgeware and Stanmore.

For those of you from East London, the OC can be used from Stratford to St. Pancras on the high-speed line ( journey time 12 mins.) For further info. on this go to the South Eastern train site www.southeasternrailway.co.uk as this is the company that runs the high speed service to / from St. Pancras.

Please also read my previous articles below regarding reduced student train fares/ railcards, the special £100 reduction in September by the Student Centre for term and annual student passes on UNO buses ( new students only) and use of taxis/mini cabs.

Oyster Cards are also not valid on Hertfordshire buses even where they run into the TfL area i.e., the UNO 614/44 ( I believe UNO used to accept OC`s in London but no more), except a handful that are contracted to run specific TfL services.

On a lighter note engineering students may be interested that the next heritage steam train special through Hatfield will be Sat 15th Sept, at around 08.25 in the morning. ( Booked time to pick up at Potters Bar 08.17) These are becoming more rare on the King`s Cross route as finding `white space` as it is called in rail speak within the timetables and fitting extra charter trains in is becoming increasingly harder to find.UK. Railtours of Welwyn are running the train. Info. /timings if interested on www.uksteam.info or the UK Railtours site.

Comments welcome.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (588)
33.97%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (718)
41.48%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (346)
19.99%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.56%

Watched Threads