Everyone I know got bad grades in AQA sciences (triple)

Watch
Daisy02
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Deleted
Last edited by Daisy02; 1 year ago
TheGame314
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
My school, also on AQA, puts top set in for Triple. 100% of people passed Biology, Chemistry, Physics. I believe 90% got 9-7 in Biology, 76% in Physics, and 70% in Chemistry. We're decent, not an especially outstanding school in general- some subjects only had 1 or 2 grade 9's, out of hundreds of students, and 90% is the standard pas rate for non-core subjects- but definitely had success in science.
Daisy02
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheGame314)
My school, also on AQA, puts top set in for Triple. 100% of people passed Biology, Chemistry, Physics. I believe 90% got 9-7 in Biology, 76% in Physics, and 70% in Chemistry. We're decent, not an especially outstanding school in general- some subjects only had 1 or 2 grade 9's, out of hundreds of students, and 90% is the standard pas rate for non-core subjects- but definitely had success in science.
Wow, that's incredible! I don't really know what happened for my school, it just phases me that top students were getting 5s instead of 9-7.
But well done to your school!
username3934898
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
for me it was the complete opposite
i got 4s and 5s throughout year 10 and 11 when I did triple science
ended up with 788 as my final grades
i don't think science grades can be 'harsh' because well its science all that matters really are the answers. and in some cases like bio the boundaries were pretty low. i guess it's unusual but there could be loads of reasons why this happened
niamhdoesmaths
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
My sister was in top sets for science but struggled a lot, especially with Chemistry. She came out with an 8 in Physics, 7 in Biology (1 mark off an 8) and a 5 in Chemistry (which she thought she’d failed). The grade boundaries were definitely generous and they always have to be in line with previous years’ so that the same proportion of students each year are getting the top grades - otherwise year groups who sat “easier” exams would be at an advantage compared to students in different year groups who may have sat harder ones. The level of knowledge and understanding needed for a grade 7 (for example) must be the same every year. So basically, something must have gone wrong at your school - either the students were being misled in being told they were working at grades 7+ when they weren’t, or the students were underprepared for the exams and so this was reflected in their grades. AQA (and all other exam boards) has regulations and standards which they must stick to.
Daisy02
Rep:
?
(Original post by Protostar)
My sister was in top sets for science but struggled a lot, especially with Chemistry. She came out with an 8 in Physics, 7 in Biology (1 mark off an 8) and a 5 in Chemistry (which she thought she’d failed). The grade boundaries were definitely generous and they always have to be in line with previous years’ so that the same proportion of students each year are getting the top grades - otherwise year groups who sat “easier” exams would be at an advantage compared to students in different year groups who may have sat harder ones. The level of knowledge and understanding needed for a grade 7 (for example) must be the same every year. So basically, something must have gone wrong at your school - either the students were being misled in being told they were working at grades 7+ when they weren’t, or the students were underprepared for the exams and so this was reflected in their grades. AQA (and all other exam boards) has regulations and standards which they must stick to.
Yes, there was quite a bit of changing of teachers during the two years which may have affected progress and technique for the longer questions.
Mel242
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Same as TheGames314. Top set sits the triple science exams (AQA). School is above national average and stats stand at -

Biology : 87.5% obtained 9-7s
Chemistry : 93.75% obtained 9-7s
Physics : 81.5% obtained 9-7s.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (21)
6.09%
Uncertainty around my education (37)
10.72%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (40)
11.59%
Lack of purpose or motivation (47)
13.62%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (17)
4.93%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (16)
4.64%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (37)
10.72%
Financial worries (24)
6.96%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (15)
4.35%
Exposure to negative news/social media (21)
6.09%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (10)
2.9%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (35)
10.14%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (25)
7.25%

Watched Threads