The Student Room Group

Things you like and dislike about your culture?

State your culture. Then say pro’s and con’s. For me I am from the Pakistani culture. I like the food. I hate everything else like double standards & stupid mentalities. Boys being praised even when they do something wrong. Misogyny too.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Not a fan of fish & chips.
The cuisine. The fact that Britain's greatest food item, the sausage roll, doesn't even originate in Britain but in 19th century France is disappointing to say the least.
There is heaps of prejudice against women. Boys can smoke/party and go out but if a girl does that it’s extremely frowned upon. There is no honour when a girl does it because she should have more “respect.” 😒 like the comparison makes me sick. Mothers act like their sons are gold and will always side with them for the reputation. I know this doesn’t happen in all Asian cultures so chill people. Like my family are alright it’s just overall. Boys can wear what they like, talk to who they like & go where they want as they’re “men.” Urgh
@Humble Ahm that was for you but you deleted ur comment lol ?
Original post by Amanda_7826
@Humble Ahm that was for you but you deleted ur comment lol ?

You are comparing west with east. Misogyny is not a thing here though, you can say people are overprotective of women.
I’m somali. I like how funny Somalis are and how beautiful and unique we are.

I dislike the mentality of some Somalis. Super racist. Especially towards west Africans. And it makes me sick to my stomach. And how Somali parents baby their sons and expect women to do all the work. And how judgemental somali can be. I must admit, as a somali girl, I don’t have many Somali girlfriends (only 4) cause they’re too much drama.
(edited 5 years ago)
True it many not be very common here. But it still happens here just covertly!!! Like obviously to a certain extent.
By here I meant Pakistan by the way.
I don't really like the excessive individualism of western countries like the UK. Sure, it's good for people to do the best they can to succeed and to be able to live the lives they want, but I feel like the wealth gap in society with people sleeping on doorsteps and others living in mansions is a bit wide.

On the plus side, at least I don't live in a country where I'd be imprisoned or executed for being gay; or in a dictatorship or an absolute monarchy. Britain's tradition of democracy is pretty sweet.
Original post by gjd800
Not a fan of fish & chips.

...we must not speak anymore forthwith lol.

anyway I just dont like elitism/posh *****, and fake tans.
@Humble Ahm Oh thought you meant uk. But it still happens in the uk, covertly in the households. You’d be shocked. So many people I know get arranged marriages, because they said they know they “have to.” Urgh wish I could abolish that and make them see different. I guess they’re just products of their environment and think it’s “normal.” So much freedom taken away.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Rainfall

I dislike the mentality of some Somalis. Super racist. Especially towards west Africans. And it makes me sick to my stomach. And how Somali parents baby their sons and expect women to do all the work. And how judgemental somali can be. I must admit, as a somali girl, I don’t have many Somali girlfriends (only 4) cause they’re too much drama.

I know some somalions but they seem pretty loud and out there no offence at al!! Like some are nice but mostly the girls are always fighting and having drama. Boys seem chill. I obviously ain’t speaking for them all so no offence Yh.

Somali girls are defo too much drama. They seem to love it.
Original post by Bang Outta Order
...we must not speak anymore forthwith lol.

anyway I just dont like elitism/posh *****, and fake tans.

Haha yeah that annoys me. My stereotype is eastenders with a cup of tea and fish and chips😂
I’m from the same country as you so I guess my list will be the same.
Original post by RichPiana
I’m from the same country as you so I guess my list will be the same.

Care to share ur version of it?
Original post by wonderuss
Somali girls are defo too much drama. They seem to love it.

really can’t argue with that tbh. a lot of them live for drama
Original post by Amanda_7826
Care to share ur version of it?

I also love our food. I think we have some of the best food around and I’m not even bragging. I hate the mentality though. So restrictive and backwards. Not a lot of freedom. It makes it even more difficult for people like me since we’re born and raised in the UK so we have 2 completely different cultures that clash.
really can’t argue with that tbh. a lot of them live for drama

I wonder why though? They seem very angry all the time.

Quick Reply

Latest