The Student Room Group

Starting college - feeling on-edge about the whole thing...

I'm new here, and IDK if I found the right place for this thread.
Anyways, so I came to City and Islington (Sixth form) college today for my first tutorial, and after leaving I am just SO nervous and confused. First, I had to set up an account for their computer system, then they asked me to install the myday app. Like what the fuc.k do you use it for anyway? All it seems to do is display a page with links to various sites, and it asks me to sign in every time. Another thing I had to do was sign into my student inbox. I don't even use Outlook, I only use Gmail. (Now I have to have both apps installed on my phone).

But the thing that I worry about most of all is: there's so many other students, none of which I know. How and when will I start getting to know people and make friends? I did make a few friends (eventually) in my old school, but it took some time - a lot of people bullied or ignored me til I turned 14 or 15 and I had enough of their sh¡t, so I started acting all bad to show them I shouldn't be messed with. I was the first to pick fights with people when they started annoying me. Like, most people at my old school were just so f.ucking DUMB. They run around, fighting people, destroying school property, taking drugs and generally being clowns. My friends were the same kinds of people, just that they were more tolerable, and to be honest, they suit me well.

We would steal stuff from shops, throw bottles off of buildings, go to the mall to chat up girls, get a KFC and hang out back to smoke weed... and we even got invited to a couple of parties. (At one, I met a girl and I tried talking to her but she was extremely drunk and started talking about her period and other weird stuff. She leaned towards me and tried to kiss me but threw up over me instead). So that's the kind of life I had in school, and those are the kinds of friends I had.

So does anyone have any advice on how to get to know people and avoid being akward in a new place? That would really help.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
I wouldn't worry about the nervousness and confusedness at the start of uni. I had the same thing with my uni - new websites, new email, loads of logins and things to remember, but when it stops being new and starts being normal then it won't feel so weird. It's very overwhelming and if you persistently feel anxious about it then you could seek out the university counsellor and they could probably offer some advice.

As for the students, I get you. My uni has 9,000 students and everyone seemed to arrive knowing exactly what they were doing. When it comes to making friends it really depends on what kind of friends you want to make - if you want to make ones similar to your previous ones you may find going to clubs and SU nights might help. You also might find people in your accommodation if you're in halls, and if not then maybe in your classes.

In my experience the absolute BEST way to make friends outside of accommodation is to join societies. I, like you, really didn't have friends when I was in school, and when I did make them they really weren't all that nice. One thing I got really into during sixth form was anime and manga, so when I got to uni the one thing I made myself do to be social was peel myself away from watching the Office on repeat and go to Anime Society each week. I made most of my friends there and really loved the relaxed environment. Maybe take a look at some of the societies or sports groups your uni offers and see if any take your interest.

Unlike school there's not really a time limit on making friends where people form their groups and stick to them - people make friends all the time so don't worry too much and just be yourself.

Hope this helps and your nerves ease off a little. Good luck! :smile:
Original post by emmie_ie
I wouldn't worry about the nervousness and confusedness at the start of uni. I had the same thing with my uni - new websites, new email, loads of logins and things to remember, but when it stops being new and starts being normal then it won't feel so weird. It's very overwhelming and if you persistently feel anxious about it then you could seek out the university counsellor and they could probably offer some advice.

As for the students, I get you. My uni has 9,000 students and everyone seemed to arrive knowing exactly what they were doing. When it comes to making friends it really depends on what kind of friends you want to make - if you want to make ones similar to your previous ones you may find going to clubs and SU nights might help. You also might find people in your accommodation if you're in halls, and if not then maybe in your classes.

In my experience the absolute BEST way to make friends outside of accommodation is to join societies. I, like you, really didn't have friends when I was in school, and when I did make them they really weren't all that nice. One thing I got really into during sixth form was anime and manga, so when I got to uni the one thing I made myself do to be social was peel myself away from watching the Office on repeat and go to Anime Society each week. I made most of my friends there and really loved the relaxed environment. Maybe take a look at some of the societies or sports groups your uni offers and see if any take your interest.

Unlike school there's not really a time limit on making friends where people form their groups and stick to them - people make friends all the time so don't worry too much and just be yourself.

Hope this helps and your nerves ease off a little. Good luck! :smile:

Actually, it's really a Sixth-form college (not a university, I said so in my post and in the title).
Anyway, thanks!
Reply 3
Original post by dankcuddlybear
Actually, it's really a Sixth-form college (not a university, I said so in my post and in the title).
Anyway, thanks!

Sorry, I keep getting confused with American college. Does your college not have clubs or anything? The process isn't really that different, and as colleges are smaller it shouldn't take too long for a routine to set in. Again just be yourself in classes, try to do extra-curricular activities and don't be afraid to start conversations.
Original post by emmie_ie
Sorry, I keep getting confused with American college. Does your college not have clubs or anything? The process isn't really that different, and as colleges are smaller it shouldn't take too long for a routine to set in. Again just be yourself in classes, try to do extra-curricular activities and don't be afraid to start conversations.

Are you like american r sumting? Thats ok, I thought TSR talked about british education. The difference between British and American college is that here colleges don’t normally have a campus because most colleges, especially in London are near where students live already, so they stay at their parents houses. But we do of course have extra curricular activities such as the college paper (which I will consider joining). Thanks

P.S. I love America. My parents actually lived in America and Canada when they were students. Plus I always wanted to go there.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending