University of Nottingham - Computer Science

Watch
SteveyCook
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey I am looking to put Nottingham as my first choice to study a Masters Degree in Computer Science.

How is the Course there?
How diverse is the University?
Good Social Life and Accommodation?

Anything else which you feel is needed to be mention please could you so I can get a better understanding of where I am going
SteveyCook
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Anyone?
Qiiru
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Bump because I'd love this information, too.
lukshan13
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey, SteveyCook, if you do go for it, I'll see you there, I just received an unconditional for a Msci of Comp Sci at Notts!
Samiik
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you've applied to this course with the assumption that it'll be better bc you havent done a level maths and they'll teach you everything from the start, dont come here. I started this september and although i did do alevel maths, the way the maths module (and the lecturer in particular) is being taught really isnt the best and ive met people who did further maths who are struggling because things arent being explained properly. In terms of coursework, theres A LOT. Four peices of coursework and more towards the end of the semester due in every two weeks and im gonna be honest if you havent done CS, you will struggle. Lecturers arent really that helpful particularly if youre struggling with the programming coursework, theyll tell you to just "keep trying to debug it" even though thats what ive been trying to do for the past week. You'll be taught C in the first semester, which having started the course now, just seems stupid. Most other unis start with OOP languages eg Java, JavaScript which are high level thus easier to get to grips with if youve never done programming before. The programming coursework makes up 75% of the module which you have to pass.
The university is quite diverse. Im not a social person so cant comment on social life. In terms of accommodation, if you want to be catered Newark is the most popular option. St Peters Court, Raleigh park and Riverside point are closest to campus if youd prefer self catered.
Again this is just my experience.
Last edited by Samiik; 2 years ago
lukshan13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thanks for the insight If majority of the course is programming I shouldn't be too bad as i'm a decent programmer and have been learning C over the last year. I will make sure that I brush up on my maths though. Do you reckon you can tell me what kind of maths is done, like what topics? Samiik
SteveyCook
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by lukshan13)
Hey, SteveyCook, if you do go for it, I'll see you there, I just received an unconditional for a Msci of Comp Sci at Notts!
I just sent my application off today so i hope i get the offer.
What were your predictions and how long did you get the offer
rq52
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I do computer science at nottingham as a first year at the moment. It's definetely not easy at all and if you're looking for a uni with a lot of staff support etc, it's not the place for you. Agree with above comment about the maths - it's awful. Social life is really good here, although you cant help but feel like you're missing out on it a little bit as people don't take first year seriously but as a computer scientist, you dont really have a choice.It's very diverse in terms of the people on the course and you shouldn't find it too hard to make friends, just be weary of the fact that it's a very tough course.
Nottie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by rq52)
I do computer science at nottingham as a first year at the moment. It's definetely not easy at all and if you're looking for a uni with a lot of staff support etc, it's not the place for you. Agree with above comment about the maths - it's awful. Social life is really good here, although you cant help but feel like you're missing out on it a little bit as people don't take first year seriously but as a computer scientist, you dont really have a choice.It's very diverse in terms of the people on the course and you shouldn't find it too hard to make friends, just be weary of the fact that it's a very tough course.
if as a 1st year CompSci you are missing out on social life then you are doing something wrong.
The course may not be easy, but at least first year (and first term!) allow for a decent student life.
lukshan13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by SteveyCook)
I just sent my application off today so i hope i get the offer.
What were your predictions and how long did you get the offer
Hey, SteveyCook, I was predicted A*AA, and I got my reply in about 2 weeks ish?
alperonder
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by rq52)
Hello,

I have received offers from Nottingham and Leeds for Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence but I have not decided which one to choose.
What are lectures like?
What do you learn in Mathematics for Computer Scientist module?
The course is challenging or not?
maria:)
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Samiik)
If you've applied to this course with the assumption that it'll be better bc you havent done a level maths and they'll teach you everything from the start, dont come here. I started this september and although i did do alevel maths, the way the maths module (and the lecturer in particular) is being taught really isnt the best and ive met people who did further maths who are struggling because things arent being explained properly. In terms of coursework, theres A LOT. Four peices of coursework and more towards the end of the semester due in every two weeks and im gonna be honest if you havent done CS, you will struggle. Lecturers arent really that helpful particularly if youre struggling with the programming coursework, theyll tell you to just "keep trying to debug it" even though thats what ive been trying to do for the past week. You'll be taught C in the first semester, which having started the course now, just seems stupid. Most other unis start with OOP languages eg Java, JavaScript which are high level thus easier to get to grips with if youve never done programming before. The programming coursework makes up 75% of the module which you have to pass.
The university is quite diverse. Im not a social person so cant comment on social life. In terms of accommodation, if you want to be catered Newark is the most popular option. St Peters Court, Raleigh park and Riverside point are closest to campus if youd prefer self catered.
Again this is just my experience.
Hi Samiik,

How was the second semester? Did your experience improve?
Samiik
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by maria:))
Hi Samiik,

How was the second semester? Did your experience improve?
Nope it didnt, i ended up leaving and looking back now im honestly so glad i did. Again this was just my personal experience, I know people who really enjoyed their first year and did well
Soso.sh
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by alperonder)
Hello,

I have received offers from Nottingham and Leeds for Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence but I have not decided which one to choose.
What are lectures like?
What do you learn in Mathematics for Computer Scientist module?
The course is challenging or not?
Which one did you choose? I've applied for both as well and I don't know which one to go for
alperonder
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Soso.sh)
Which one did you choose? I've applied for both as well and I don't know which one to go for
Leeds
Markbcb18
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Are you guys talking about the 4 year course or the 1 year masters course at nottingham?
Watermelon286
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I hope you dont mind me asking. But what alevels did you take and what grades did you achieve ? Thank you Samiik
Last edited by Watermelon286; 7 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (53)
29.28%
No - I have already returned home (23)
12.71%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (42)
23.2%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (16)
8.84%
No - I live at home during term anyway (47)
25.97%

Watched Threads