This discussion is closed.
idkeither41
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Does anyone have any tips for going into maths A-Level. I have just started Year 12 and got a 6 in GCSE Maths.
I would say I am a bit slow in learning maths but I get there in the end and I also sometimes have trouble identifying what I need to do in a question.
I am absolutely dreading statistics and mechanics (esp. mechanics) because I dont really like physics (I got a 7 in GCSE somehow though).
If anyone could reccomend me websites etc, give me advice etc. then it'd be very appreciated x
nyxnko_
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
Physics and Maths Tutor focuses more on old spec stuff but that can still be quite useful. For Year 12, look at C1, C2, M1 and S1 and that should start you off quite well with practice questions.
As for actually learning it, Dr Frost does some really good powerpoints that even my teachers in school use. You could go through those before your classes and that could put you at a slight advantage because you've already covered it so it'll only really be revision in class.
As for mechanics, don't worry too much about it. Physics mechanics is more about the explanations rather than the calculations at GCSE iirc, whereas it's more calculations based for AS. If it still makes you feel kinda queasy, just remember that mechanics only makes up 16.7% of your final grade and that the pure stuff is probably more important.
hope that helps.
Rolls_Reus_0wner
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by idkeither41)
Does anyone have any tips for going into maths A-Level. I have just started Year 12 and got a 6 in GCSE Maths.
I would say I am a bit slow in learning maths but I get there in the end and I also sometimes have trouble identifying what I need to do in a question.
I am absolutely dreading statistics and mechanics (esp. mechanics) because I dont really like physics (I got a 7 in GCSE somehow though).
If anyone could reccomend me websites etc, give me advice etc. then it'd be very appreciated x
I was in a similar situation (would do anything to take physics). I loved mechanics (95% in my exam lol). I revised what they taught me in a year in 1 day. I was at a U midway through and I am retaking to get from a C to an A.

Use these websites for help:
DrFrostMaths.com
MadAsMaths :: Mathematics Resources
Edexcel A-Level Maths and Further Maths tutorials | ExamSolutions
suvat-rearranged1.png (724×448)
Yelena Icefaren
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
What would you hope to get in maths? It is a big step up from gcse but something like a B shouldn't be too hard with proper practice
idkeither41
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Felicity Marx)
What would you hope to get in maths? It is a big step up from gcse but something like a B shouldn't be too hard with proper practice
I would ideally like an A (or possibly an A* but I wouldnt be crying my eyes out if I didnt get an A*).
Yelena Icefaren
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Remind me is a 6 a B or an A? An A in maths should be possible with hard work but without the natural ability an A* is practically impossible, there's a big gap between A and A*
Yelena Icefaren
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I'd say the best advice is just practice loads and loads of questions and if possible ask a teacher to pick out a set of exam questions or textbook questions with a lot of variety because one of the hardest things is transferring the knowledge between different styles of question and spotting which technique you need, so really you just need to do enough questions to get an idea of all the different styles out there
aj__w
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Hegarty maths is peng
mathsb55
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
Just make sure you go over topics you haven’t touched in a while and keep on doing practice questions. Applying your knowledge to the questions is the trickiest part.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (39)
9.68%
Okay (119)
29.53%
A bit lacking (153)
37.97%
Not good at all (92)
22.83%

Watched Threads