The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

Just don't seem to fit in here

Everyone at this uni seems to be having a great time but I don't know. I like my hall mates but idk if they like me. My social skills are bad when I'm sober but only just OK when I'm drunk, maybe I'm just wasting my time here.
Reply 1
Have you joined any societies to find people with similar interests?
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
Nope, my social anxiety is crippling. Idk why I'm even posting it on here when I should probably just go to counseling or smth.
I think the uni offers quite a lot of services to help you with problems like this - you can talk to your students for students mentor, an SRA, and I think there's counselling as well if you need it :smile:. It's totally ok to go to society meetings or other events on your own, I've done that plenty of times and usually someone will come and talk to you. If you hear people talking in the kitchen (or corridor, depending what building you're in) you can always pop out and have a chat. Also, I think that many of us freshers are feeling lonely - making close friends takes time. Hope that helps!
Hi :smile: I studied at Aberdeen too, in 2016, for one semester. I dropped out in 2017 - mostly because I also felt like I just didn't fit in. I was shy, I wasn't really open to meet new people, so I was basically in my room all day long. In the beginning I still went to lectures, but after a while, I stopped doing that too.
Looking back now, it was such a big mistake. I should have forced myself to go to societies, go to the gym, do *something*. I know that I would have had really bad anxiety attacks while doing that, but I should have pushed through to have a good time, to actually make an effort.
I really regret this today because I have changed so much over the last two years and I really believe that if I had been part of societies, I wouldn't have become this - yes - depressed in Aberdeen.

Try to force yourself to go to at least one society, or the gym, or something :smile: Try to push through it and be strong! You can also go see a counselor or your tutor, they will help you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending