Here are my GCSES results, are they enough for A levels?

Watch
A-Yellow-Spring
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Polish Unit 3- A*
Polish Unit 2- A
Polish Unit 1- A*
English Lit- 3
Combined Science- 5 and a 5
English Lang- 3
RE- 5
Mahematics- 4
Polish- B
Polish Unit 4- F
ICT- Distinction

I didn't mention the ones in which I failed, apart from obviously English and Unit 4 of Polish.
The nearest Sixth form didn't let me do A levels but offered me a BTEC instead, I didn't settle with that because on top of unfortunately doing a BTEC there I'd be doing a BTEC that I'd hate: business.

I gave up and signed myself up for Games media Production and an English Lang resit without a shred of a thought of going to other sixth forms in hopes that they'll accept me for A levels. Now I'm thinking about it but it's a bit too late to go now since the term is almost over even though the Games BTEC looked promising. However it might not be too late yet and I'm gonna try to contact the other sixth form whilst I'm attending college. Hopefully it won't be like the first one.

Did anybody know someone who had horrible GCSE results yet managed to do what they wanted in A levels despite not even doing the required GCSE for it? I'd love to know.
_WOLF_
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Jak to możliwe że masz A i A* z 3 units a F ze czwartego ??
A-Yellow-Spring
Rep:
?
(Original post by _WOLF_)
Jak to możliwe że masz A i A* z 3 units a F ze czwartego ??
To był polski pisemny. Nie najlepiej mi idzie z tego.
Runescapian
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you struggle at GCSE, you'll struggle in a levels, that's the general consensus and why most sixth forms/colleges won't accept bad GCSE grades. You'll do a lot better at btec because there are no exams, just coursework. Everyone I know who struggled at GCSE and then went on to do a BTEC was much happier.

Most places need you to have five GCSEs, with a pass in English and Maths being mandatory. I'm afraid to say you probably won't be accepted anywhere, but I do wish you luck with your BTEC it sounds really interesting! Please don't feel disheartened by not being able to do A Levels as they aren't the be-all and end-all of everything.
A-Yellow-Spring
Rep:
?
It's a shame, I wanted to turn over a new leaf after secondary school in sixth form but I guess BTEC will do, atleast I can work harder to get into Uni with enough UCAS points. Thank you.
username3516804
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Seems like you've got at least 5 good GCSES? Depending on what college/sixth form you go to, and their requirements for their subjects highly depends whether you can do A-levels or not. A option would be picking up BTEC, they may be considered as inferior to A-levels: however i can ensure you that they're wrong and you can still get into very good universities with BTECS.
Additionally you should retake English language as a grade 4 is essential entry requirement for most universities.
A-Yellow-Spring
Rep:
?
I'm definitely retaking my English, maybe even my maths. The first sixth form told me that I could only do Polish A levels, but I'm not a fan of languages and it can be seen by my Spanish grade.
I was considering Liverpool Uni, however they only accept BTECS along side two A levels, great -_-. I've heard of people staying in College a year or so to then doing A levels but it's risky and for some reason I don't think that they'll let me. I never knew that people were so obsessed with RG Unis until I found TSR and I'm ****ed because of my Level 3 90 credit diploma but that's the only Games diploma the College has.
username3516804
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
There are some universities which accept triple BTECS such as Universith of Kent which isn't a russel group, however its considered as a very good university. Additonally it isn't essential to join a russel group university just to be acknowledged by future employers as there are many top university out there i.e Bath which aren't RS and have a really high employability percentage.I would recommend you picking up triple BTEC business however it seems like you dislike the subject. Obviously a last resort would be negotiating with the head of sixth form to give you a trial run to see if you're comparable with the subject however it really depends on the sixth form/college itself.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (30)
5.23%
Uncertainty around my education (67)
11.67%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (66)
11.5%
Lack of purpose or motivation (75)
13.07%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (33)
5.75%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (30)
5.23%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (61)
10.63%
Financial worries (36)
6.27%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (23)
4.01%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
5.92%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.61%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (57)
9.93%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (47)
8.19%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed