Turn on thread page Beta

struggling with a level biology watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, ive only had a few lessons on a level biology and already stuggling. I am struggling to understand the content of the first topic for aqa, biological molecules. I dont know if it is because this is a hard topic or if i am going to find a level biology as a whole difficult.

Does it get better?

ReputationRep:
    Most people find some topics easier than others so don’t worry. If you want high grades just spend a little time revising the hard topics outside of school
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by jdkshfkjsdf)
    Hi, ive only had a few lessons on a level biology and already stuggling. I am struggling to understand the content of the first topic for aqa, biological molecules. I dont know if it is because this is a hard topic or if i am going to find a level biology as a whole difficult.

Does it get better?
    I managed to get an A in AS biology. Chapter 1 was the easiest of them all, in my opinion.
    I honestly believe the reason you're struggling now is because the transition from GCSE to A-Level takes some time as you figure out what you need to adjust in your exam prep to get a good mark.

My advice is to make notes from the start and then memorise them thoroughly. Once you've done this, hit the past papers, which are probably the most important thing in A-Level Biology. Memorise certain mark scheme words that you see frequently throughout different questions as AQA is very specific about the terminology they expect.

Don't worry about the bad start; I got a grade D in my first Biology test, and I didn't get below a grade A in any biology exam after that. I struggled at the start to figure out the best exam prep for A-Level bio, but after that everything was running smoothly.

So I hope you take the advice in my second paragraph, and don't stress to unnecessarily worry yourself.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    first few weeks you're gonna struggle but you'll hopefully find that you understand it and find it slightly more easier as the weeks go on. you should be having a baseline assessment within a few weeks anyway to mark your progress and see what you need to work on. don't be disheartened if you aren't doing as well as you want to right now. always ask the teacher if you don't understand anything.
    moving to biology

ReputationRep:
    I found that the biological molecules were hard to get my head around initially, they are so different from anything you've every learnt before but it will get easier. Just put in lots of work to try and remember them - they are literally just facts

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I've just started Biology A Level and am finding Biological Molecules challenging too. For me I think it's because it's not what I expected to be doing as it feels more like Chemistry. To help me feel more confident on the topic I bought a CGP revision guide which explained it in a more simple form. I also looked at the Exam board specification. If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie1718)
    Hey, I've just started Biology A Level and am finding Biological Molecules challenging too. For me I think it's because it's not what I expected to be doing as it feels more like Chemistry. To help me feel more confident on the topic I bought a CGP revision guide which explained it in a more simple form. I also looked at the Exam board specification. If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know!
    Hey im in the same boat. When i organise my notes i keep putting my biology work into the chemistry folder because it looks like chemistry! I also brought the cgp guide which simplifies it, but when i learn it in calss it is 10x harder

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenjenss)
    Most people find some topics easier than others so don’t worry. If you want high grades just spend a little time revising the hard topics outside of school
    Thanks for the reassurance. I will do so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grade A)
    I managed to get an A in AS biology. Chapter 1 was the easiest of them all, in my opinion.
    I honestly believe the reason you're struggling now is because the transition from GCSE to A-Level takes some time as you figure out what you need to adjust in your exam prep to get a good mark.

My advice is to make notes from the start and then memorise them thoroughly. Once you've done this, hit the past papers, which are probably the most important thing in A-Level Biology. Memorise certain mark scheme words that you see frequently throughout different questions as AQA is very specific about the terminology they expect.

Don't worry about the bad start; I got a grade D in my first Biology test, and I didn't get below a grade A in any biology exam after that. I struggled at the start to figure out the best exam prep for A-Level bio, but after that everything was running smoothly.

So I hope you take the advice in my second paragraph, and don't stress to unnecessarily worry yourself.
    Thank you so much for the reassurance!! It really helps and congrats on your AS grade. i will be sure to follow your advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by entertainmyfaith)
    first few weeks you're gonna struggle but you'll hopefully find that you understand it and find it slightly more easier as the weeks go on. you should be having a baseline assessment within a few weeks anyway to mark your progress and see what you need to work on. don't be disheartened if you aren't doing as well as you want to right now. always ask the teacher if you don't understand anything.
    moving to biology
    Thanks, our baseline assessment is to see whether we should be allowed to continue the course, and by the looks of it i might not be able to.

(Original post by sofiapesic)
    I found that the biological molecules were hard to get my head around initially, they are so different from anything you've every learnt before but it will get easier. Just put in lots of work to try and remember them - they are literally just facts
    Thank you so much!! It really is completely new stuff. Especially since i never leanrt anything like this in gcse

ReputationRep:

Does it get better?
    Ahaha why does this remind me of me 😂

I struggled so much in my first 2 weeks for biology. I felt like everyone else understood everything while i was like wtf 😂
    None of the content made sense at all at the start. Turns out it wasn't just me and everyone was a little surprised by the step up... which is completely normal
    Take this time to make sure you can work out a technique for note taking, revision etc. and everything will start to fall into place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haseeb_jarral)
    Ahaha why does this remind me of me 😂

I struggled so much in my first 2 weeks for biology. I felt like everyone else understood everything while i was like wtf 😂
    None of the content made sense at all at the start. Turns out it wasn't just me and everyone was a little surprised by the step up... which is completely normal
    Take this time to make sure you can work out a technique for note taking, revision etc. and everything will start to fall into place.
    glad to see im not the only one lol. Thank you for the advice!! really appreciate it

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, our baseline assessment is to see whether we should be allowed to continue the course, and by the looks of it i might not be able to.

Thank you so much!! It really is completely new stuff. Especially since i never leanrt anything like this in gcse
    Honestly don't worry. I came out with 6 marks out of 60 on the first test we did on biological molecules in year 12, I put in so much effort to learning the basic facts that eventually I could apply that to exam questions. I came out with a B in my a level, so I promise it does get easier. Stick with it and youll be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie1718)
    it's so good to know that other people are struggling too!
    i feel so dumb in my bio lesson, bc i feel like everyone else understands it apart from me
    i bought the cgp books too, but in class everything just seems harder idk :/
    i have two bio tests in 2 ish weeks, no idea how they're going to go

ReputationRep:

Does it get better?
    A-Level biology is challenging for sure. But as long as you put a bit of work in (asking teachers for clarification, independently reviewing the content etc.), yes, it will get better. So at this stage, there's nothing for you to be overly alarmed about

ReputationRep:
    a lot of people in my class found the first module the hardest due to the high chemistry content (Not a lot of people were doing both chem and bio)
    But honestly, the jump from GCSEs to A-levels is kinda a big gap, your gonna feel a little out of your depth in the beginning

My advice, try and do some revision outside of lessons if you really don't get something ask your friends/teacher for help
    Its best to get everything right first time

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 1, 2018

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.