luce12341
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi everyone,
So, I recently did my A Levels and got A*AAB in geography, biology, maths and chemistry respectively. I'm thrilled about the first three but quite upset about chemistry, mainly because I thought it was my best subject. I got one of my papers remarked and it didn't change. I'm applying to do geography this year (during my gap year) and will be applying for Oxford among others.
My question is should I send of my other two papers for remarks, consider resitting during my gap year or just leave it. The problem is, remarks are expensive and tbh not very likely to go up. I'm also travelling from the 11th of Feb to 29th of March and also 14th April to 18th May so I just don't know if doing a resit is a good idea. I will, however, be on volunteering projects so will have free time in the house where I could theoretically revise?.. Idk whether this would ruin the experience though.
The thing is, I don't think it would have much of an effect on my uni application because it's my fourth? Or maybe it will
Any advice would be appreciated
luce12341
Rep:
?
Bump
minaa77
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by lucyv1234)
Hi everyone,
So, I recently did my A Levels and got A*AAB in geography, biology, maths and chemistry respectively. I'm thrilled about the first three but quite upset about chemistry, mainly because I thought it was my best subject. I got one of my papers remarked and it didn't change. I'm applying to do geography this year (during my gap year) and will be applying for Oxford among others.
My question is should I send of my other two papers for remarks, consider resitting during my gap year or just leave it. The problem is, remarks are expensive and tbh not very likely to go up. I'm also travelling from the 11th of Feb to 29th of March and also 14th April to 18th May so I just don't know if doing a resit is a good idea. I will, however, be on volunteering projects so will have free time in the house where I could theoretically revise?.. Idk whether this would ruin the experience though.
The thing is, I don't think it would have much of an effect on my uni application because it's my fourth? Or maybe it will
Any advice would be appreciated
tbh you did really well so congrats! whats your geog offer at oxford, and is chem required? cause if not then i suggest you make a really good personal statement demonstrating why the next year will be useful i.e not sitting around and im sure theyll look past the B in chemsitry. A lot of people on your course would probably have only done 3 a levels and achieved a*aa, so oxford may even be impressed that you got a*aa whilst doing an extra a level and passing with a high B. If money isnt an issue then you could send off for aremark, as this would ultimately still be cheaper than resitting if ur gonna do it externally. How much effort did you put into chemistry realistaclly? if you put ur 100% in this year then no point really retaking, as you may end up getting a B again, which is still good.
luce12341
Rep:
?
(Original post by Abdi17272728)
tbh you did really well so congrats! whats your geog offer at oxford, and is chem required? cause if not then i suggest you make a really good personal statement demonstrating why the next year will be useful i.e not sitting around and im sure theyll look past the B in chemsitry. A lot of people on your course would probably have only done 3 a levels and achieved a*aa, so oxford may even be impressed that you got a*aa whilst doing an extra a level and passing with a high B. If money isnt an issue then you could send off for aremark, as this would ultimately still be cheaper than resitting if ur gonna do it externally. How much effort did you put into chemistry realistaclly? if you put ur 100% in this year then no point really retaking, as you may end up getting a B again, which is still good.
Yeh the annoying thing is I did put a lot of effort in for chem, and I thought the exams went really well so it was just a shock when it wasn't my highest grade you know. I think I might go for a remark just because I think I would regret not doing it, especially cause I need to lose like 30 marks to drop a grade. I just think it's highly likely to stay the same. I'm really not sure about resitting because I think it might ruin my gap year? I've been convinced from most sources that it won't really affect my Ox application so it's just a personal attainment matter I guess
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (199)
61.8%
Yes- I don't like it (12)
3.73%
No- I want it (89)
27.64%
No- I don't want it (22)