The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

First year failed one module progression??

I have failed one of my modules and have been told I can appeal against having my studies terminated due to personal circumstances that occured during this time.
I have been told I would have to repeat the failed elements of the year.
If my appeal is successful, would i have to repeat the whole year again or could I go into my second year and repeat the module?
I am not receiving much guidance until my appeal has been decided and have received no response from staff and advisors I have contacted :frown:
Any help would be great as I'm panicking!
(edited 5 years ago)
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:

Why do I this?

Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
Reply 2
Original post by TSR_Ollie
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:

Why do I this?

Thanks!
Original post by llou26
I have failed one of my modules and have been told I can appeal against having my studies terminated due to personal circumstances that occured during this time.
I have been told I would have to repeat the failed elements of the year.
If my appeal is successful, would i have to repeat the whole year again or could I go into my second year and repeat the module?
I am not receiving much guidance until my appeal has been decided and have received no response from staff and advisors I have contacted :frown:
Any help would be great as I'm panicking!

Hi

Its not clear at what has happened. Normally it is :
First attempt uncapped.
Second attempt capped
Third attempt retake [attend lectures] or resit the following year.

Are you suggesting they are withdrawing you after only one resit?
They always have discretion. but its unusual. perhaps you did really poorly?

Presumably you have already put the appeal in and you had your reasons so you dont need advising on that.

I am uneasy when you talk about having studies terminated and dont know if that is what they have intended or just your words?

They would normally offer resit or retake next year, but they have the discretion not to if you fell way below and your performance on the course has been poor. It isnt clear what has happened.

If they are deciding that now, then they have discretion. They could make you do the module again, if you scored 35 or greater they could give you a condoned and progress or they could let you just resit the exam only next year and withdraw you from uni till then.

The point is its up to them what they do.

https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/media/livacuk/tqsd/code-of-practice-on-assessment/appendix_B_2014-15_cop_assess.pdf

I have no idea what course you are doing, but as long as you havent enrolled, then the other option to you is withdraw yourself and do a fresh degree elsewhere either through clearing now or apply through ucas and take a gap for sept 2019 entry. This will be the only time you have that choice to start again assuming you havent used any other student finance.

Post back when you know the outcome of your appeal. Other than withdrawing yourself and not your appeal is in then theres nothing to be done until they decide. I would question whether it was worth carrying on and that starting fresh might be better, especially if your grades were poor.
Original post by 999tigger
Hi

Its not clear at what has happened. Normally it is :
First attempt uncapped.
Second attempt capped
Third attempt retake [attend lectures] or resit the following year.

Are you suggesting they are withdrawing you after only one resit?
They always have discretion. but its unusual. perhaps you did really poorly?

Presumably you have already put the appeal in and you had your reasons so you dont need advising on that.

I am uneasy when you talk about having studies terminated and dont know if that is what they have intended or just your words?

They would normally offer resit or retake next year, but they have the discretion not to if you fell way below and your performance on the course has been poor. It isnt clear what has happened.

If they are deciding that now, then they have discretion. They could make you do the module again, if you scored 35 or greater they could give you a condoned and progress or they could let you just resit the exam only next year and withdraw you from uni till then.

The point is its up to them what they do.

https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/media/livacuk/tqsd/code-of-practice-on-assessment/appendix_B_2014-15_cop_assess.pdf

I have no idea what course you are doing, but as long as you havent enrolled, then the other option to you is withdraw yourself and do a fresh degree elsewhere either through clearing now or apply through ucas and take a gap for sept 2019 entry. This will be the only time you have that choice to start again assuming you havent used any other student finance.

Post back when you know the outcome of your appeal. Other than withdrawing yourself and not your appeal is in then theres nothing to be done until they decide. I would question whether it was worth carrying on and that starting fresh might be better, especially if your grades were poor.

They have changed policy or something, someone I'm living with next year had her studies terminated because they failed a re sit.. they won't allow her to re take first year
As usual, @999tigger has it spot on.
Original post by NKSSSSS09
They have changed policy or something, someone I'm living with next year had her studies terminated because they failed a re sit.. they won't allow her to re take first year

I think the point is they have the discretion to decide whether the third attempt is allowed. If they think you are a poor student they can just say no.
This may seem harsh but it could also be good. It could make you appreciate whether you are cut out for a degree or that course and it still allows you the chance to start again somewhere else or on a different course. That could be a blessing in disguise.
Original post by 999tigger
I think the point is they have the discretion to decide whether the third attempt is allowed. If they think you are a poor student they can just say no.
This may seem harsh but it could also be good. It could make you appreciate whether you are cut out for a degree or that course and it still allows you the chance to start again somewhere else or on a different course. That could be a blessing in disguise.

Yeah exactly! Its fair enough. Most unis allow the resit of first year but liverpool do not
Original post by NKSSSSS09
Yeah exactly! Its fair enough. Most unis allow the resit of first year but liverpool do not

Nope im not sure that is correct and not what I read. The department can decide what it likes. The decision entails looking at the facts and then using its discretion. It would be crazy not to allow a complete retake in certain circumstances.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending