The Student Room Group

How to write a transcript

For English language a level, I’ve been asked to write a transcript based on a written conversation I’ve been given. However, I’ve only had 2 lessons of English language and I don’t understand how to do it as I’ve had no explanation other than the start of the transcript at the bottom. Someone please help??3A1B8E1F-3735-4A5C-BE10-B7CEF055B15F.jpg.jpeg4725A792-1112-4482-820E-EF4EC8B58281.jpg.jpeg
There is not one standard way of writing a transcript, so you will have to look at the example you were given. However, general rules are:
Each speaker has a new line. They are identified each time they speak, a bit like a drama script.
Pauses are indicated by square brackets with the number inside indicating the length in seconds. E.g. I was er [2] wondering if I could go. For a pause of less than a second use square brackets and a full stop [.]
When there is overlap (two speakers talking at the same time, such as when someone gets interrupted) write the second speaker's words below the part where they overlap, and place both in brackets. E.g.
Fred: Can you tel me the [time]
John: [half p]ast eight
For non-lexical items, such as laughter, use square brackets again [coughs]
Write down exactly what you hear, not what you remember. There will be some repetition and false starts. I needed to [.] I needed to [2] I just wanted to get away
Reply 2
Original post by Lit teacher
There is not one standard way of writing a transcript, so you will have to look at the example you were given. However, general rules are:
Each speaker has a new line. They are identified each time they speak, a bit like a drama script.
Pauses are indicated by square brackets with the number inside indicating the length in seconds. E.g. I was er [2] wondering if I could go. For a pause of less than a second use square brackets and a full stop [.]
When there is overlap (two speakers talking at the same time, such as when someone gets interrupted) write the second speaker's words below the part where they overlap, and place both in brackets. E.g.
Fred: Can you tel me the [time]
John: [half p]ast eight
For non-lexical items, such as laughter, use square brackets again [coughs]
Write down exactly what you hear, not what you remember. There will be some repetition and false starts. I needed to [.] I needed to [2] I just wanted to get away

Do i write in full stops or do I write those as a full stop in brackets? And do I put in capitals or any other punctuation as the start of the transcript given doesn’t have any commas in
Original post by CemXx732
Do i write in full stops or do I write those as a full stop in brackets? And do I put in capitals or any other punctuation as the start of the transcript given doesn’t have any commas in

It's usual to use capital letters at the start and for proper nouns, because they are not affected by how the words are spoken. Don't use them in the middle of speech (unless you are told differently by your teacher). For example:
Fred: I was [.] I was wondering if any of you have got a [2] what do you call it [.] you know the thing you use to help put shoes on [4] anyone?
Note the question mark, which explains the purpose of the last word.
Don't use commas. If there is a pause of less than a second use [.] For longer than a second use [3], where the number is the length of the pause. Remember, the sole aim is to provide a written record of what was said, as accurately as possible. It won't be gramatically correct but that doesn't matter.
The debate, which I can't provide a certain answer for, is what to do with words which are not spoken in standard English. Do you use 'gonna' or 'going to'. And if you use 'gonna', should you then also use words such as 'dunnow' (don't know) or 'gisalook' (give us a look). Fortunately for your exercise it looks like you can just copy the actual speech as it has been written.
Reply 4
Original post by Lit teacher
It's usual to use capital letters at the start and for proper nouns, because they are not affected by how the words are spoken. Don't use them in the middle of speech (unless you are told differently by your teacher). For example:
Fred: I was [.] I was wondering if any of you have got a [2] what do you call it [.] you know the thing you use to help put shoes on [4] anyone?
Note the question mark, which explains the purpose of the last word.
Don't use commas. If there is a pause of less than a second use [.] For longer than a second use [3], where the number is the length of the pause. Remember, the sole aim is to provide a written record of what was said, as accurately as possible. It won't be gramatically correct but that doesn't matter.
The debate, which I can't provide a certain answer for, is what to do with words which are not spoken in standard English. Do you use 'gonna' or 'going to'. And if you use 'gonna', should you then also use words such as 'dunnow' (don't know) or 'gisalook' (give us a look). Fortunately for your exercise it looks like you can just copy the actual speech as it has been written.

Thanks! The only reason i didn’t use punctuation like commas, full stops and capitals is because the example my teacher gave me that i had to carry on from didn’t include them. So i got rid of capitals and commas and instead of fullstops put (.)

Quick Reply

Latest