The Student Room Group

Gcse LATIN

Hi could anyone give me tips on gcse Latin, I have just started year ten. Thank you
Reply 1
Original post by Msbrownie.xo
Hi could anyone give me tips on gcse Latin, I have just started year ten. Thank you

Practice, practice, practice. Try to understand in depth each and every word in a translation, and go over the same translation piece more than once. In the exam you will have a lot of free time for Language, which is meant for you to analyse each and every word.

Depending if you are doing prose and/or verse, ensure that you know the historical context of each piece, and the underlying meaning of the story. If possible, memorise the English translation.
Original post by ns_2
Practice, practice, practice. Try to understand in depth each and every word in a translation, and go over the same translation piece more than once. In the exam you will have a lot of free time for Language, which is meant for you to analyse each and every word.

Depending if you are doing prose and/or verse, ensure that you know the historical context of each piece, and the underlying meaning of the story. If possible, memorise the English translation.

Thanks I'm not doing prose yet, but if I translate a story a day would that benefit me and also I am good at vocab if I use quizlet to memorise every word in the gcse list would I get a good grade?
Reply 3
Original post by Msbrownie.xo
Thanks I'm not doing prose yet, but if I translate a story a day would that benefit me and also I am good at vocab if I use quizlet to memorise every word in the gcse list would I get a good grade?

A story a day may be a bit excessive... just ensure that you are on top of homework, regularly review the vocab list and closer to the time, go through as many past papers as possible (including the old spec - which is extremely similar).
Original post by ns_2
A story a day may be a bit excessive... just ensure that you are on top of homework, regularly review the vocab list and closer to the time, go through as many past papers as possible (including the old spec - which is extremely similar).

Thanks x

Quick Reply