The Student Room Group

HMRC customer service consultant interview

Hello I have a face to face interview for the Birmingham branch and unsure as to what documentation to bring to the interview I got a printed statement from the bank since I no longer get physical statements in the post and I have my NI Card and passport but unsure what else to bring first job and want to be prepared for the job. I even went and purchased and shirt and tie and trousers for the interview which is in a few days. If there is anyone who has done the interview or is employed by HMRC could you let me know if there is anything left to bring.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Edot321
Hello I have a face to face interview for the Birmingham branch and unsure as to what documentation to bring to the interview I got a printed statement from the bank since I no longer get physical statements in the post and I have my NI Card and passport but unsure what else to bring first job and want to be prepared for the job. I even went and purchased and shirt and tie and trousers for the interview which is in a few days. If there is anyone who has done the interview or is employed by HMRC could you let me know if there is anything left to bring.

If unsure email and ask. Otherwise it's just a random collection of docs.
Reply 2
Hi has anyone who has applied for customer service consultant for HMRC had a reply? I went for an interview on the 10th September and not heard anything yet
Reply 3
hi I went for interview on 4th of sep for Manchester, and still havn't heard anything back
Reply 4
Original post by aqsad
hi I went for interview on 4th of sep for Manchester, and still havn't heard anything back

Hey! I had my interview in Manchester/ Salford too. How did you find it?
I've read in other forums that it could take 4-5 weeks for a response
Reply 5
hi, interview was easy just standard questions
and i read somewhere that it can take upto 5 months between interview and start date
Has anybody heard anything back since the interview yet?
Reply 7
Original post by AWaitingGame
Has anybody heard anything back since the interview yet?

No I haven’t
Original post by Iqra96
No I haven’t

Me neither. They just said it would likely be October I'm checking like all the time.

Where was your interview? Mine was Birmingham and 12th Sept. They were very friendly but I was still so nervous and don't feel I got to say everything I wanted to.
Reply 9
Me neither. They just said it would likely be October I'm checking like all the time.

Where was your interview? Mine was Birmingham and 12th Sept. They were very friendly but I was still so nervous and don't feel I got to say everything I wanted to.

My interview was in Manchester on the 10th September. My interview went well I think there were only 2 questions that were asked!
My interviewer said I would hear back the following week which was a lie as I’ve been checking everyday.
And I wouldn’t worry about that because I’m sure they would’ve asked you more questions if you hadn’t said enough!
Also I’ve been reading other forums and it’s taken a good couple of months for people to get an offer so I think it will take a while for us to find out
Original post by Iqra96
My interview was in Manchester on the 10th September. My interview went well I think there were only 2 questions that were asked!
My interviewer said I would hear back the following week which was a lie as I’ve been checking everyday.
And I wouldn’t worry about that because I’m sure they would’ve asked you more questions if you hadn’t said enough!
Also I’ve been reading other forums and it’s taken a good couple of months for people to get an offer so I think it will take a while for us to find out

Aww I'm glad you feel yours went well :smile:
Yeah I don't think the interviewers know much about the actual recruitment process, mine said if I wanted to know anything more that I should email the recruitment team, as they know a lot more.
Yeah I read the other forums too so I guess we could also be in for a bit of a wait then, ahh the joys :smile:
Reply 11
Aww I'm glad you feel yours went well :smile:
Yeah I don't think the interviewers know much about the actual recruitment process, mine said if I wanted to know anything more that I should email the recruitment team, as they know a lot more.
Yeah I read the other forums too so I guess we could also be in for a bit of a wait then, ahh the joys :smile:

Well I think it did! Might be one of them when u think it has gone well and it actually hasn’t 😂
I might email them if I don’t hear anything back by next week because that’s just way too long!
Original post by Iqra96
Well I think it did! Might be one of them when u think it has gone well and it actually hasn’t 😂
I might email them if I don’t hear anything back by next week because that’s just way too long!

I'm sure it did go well.
Yes I agree, it's been such a lengthy process already.
I was interviewed in Birmingham for the same role and they told me that they would let people know by the end of October
Original post by Lucciana
I was interviewed in Birmingham for the same role and they told me that they would let people know by the end of October

Thanks Lucciana, that's helpful to know.
They gave me an information sheet that said the start date, if successful would be October.
This is why I was unsure when they said we would likely hear back in October, but didn't specify when.
Thanks Lucciana, that's helpful to know.
They gave me an information sheet that said the start date, if successful would be October.
This is why I was unsure when they said we would likely hear back in October, but didn't specify when.

I hope they let us know by the end of October. I've read in other interviews threads that they made them wait at least 3 months and I hope that's not the case. I know they had a lot of interviews until 30th of September and they definitely will need time to shortlist them. I just don't now how many posts they've got available. Was it 50 in Birmingham and 50 in Merry Hill or 50 in total? I hope 100 in total as this gives us more chances to get a place
Original post by Lucciana
I hope they let us know by the end of October. I've read in other interviews threads that they made them wait at least 3 months and I hope that's not the case. I know they had a lot of interviews until 30th of September and they definitely will need time to shortlist them. I just don't now how many posts they've got available. Was it 50 in Birmingham and 50 in Merry Hill or 50 in total? I hope 100 in total as this gives us more chances to get a place

Yes I really hope so too because I'm not applying for other jobs at the moment.
It said 100 posts on my job advert, as to how they are distributed amongst branches, I have no idea.
A little bird told me they didn't get much interest initially, and I did notice after applying that they did extend the closing date which would support what I was told. However I have no idea how much interest they received after the extension, or how many people were interviewed.
Also they may have a reserve list from the last intake(s) which could also affect the number of available posts.
It is a tough wait though, I was waiting a while for this position to come up as I just missed the last intake. I applied straight away, then the closingg date was extended. For it to be such a long process and then get rejected would be heatbreaking, as I don't just want a job, I want this job.

Fingers crossed for us both xx
Reply 17
Hi! has anyone emailed them to ask when would they reply?
Original post by aqsad
Hi! has anyone emailed them to ask when would they reply?

I haven't. From what I've read on previous threads, they don't appear to honour the promised deadlines anyway.
I'm just waiting it out as torturous as it is. I keep checking my civil service jobs account at least once daily, but with all previous communications they've come straight to my phone anyway via email.

Where was your interview aqsad?
Reply 19
I've emailed them four times in last month. I've been waiting for formal offer since August after my checks have been completed but there's no reply at all. Has any one emailed them recently or got any response from them via email??

Quick Reply