Turn on thread page Beta

rm.25's Year 13 GYG watch

ReputationRep:
    happy birthday! (has it passed yet? if not, i'm saying it in advance )
    yay for a good mock MMI!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nyxnko_)
    happy birthday! (has it passed yet? if not, i'm saying it in advance )
    yay for a good mock MMI!
    It hasn't past yet but ahhh thank you!!! Not sure if the MMI was good/bad but hopefully will find out soon!!

ReputationRep:
    Hello there. I also do biology and chemistry. May I ask how you take notes and how to use them effectively? Also, when is it the best time to start doing past papers?
    Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rm.25)
    It hasn't past yet but ahhh thank you!!! Not sure if the MMI was good/bad but hopefully will find out soon!!
    :hugs:
    hopefully, it was good :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MH1234567)
    Hello there. I also do biology and chemistry. May I ask how you take notes and how to use them effectively? Also, when is it the best time to start doing past papers?
    Thank you.
    I make summary notes for each topic that we do in class and try to make them throughout the year, don't do it all last minute! Go over the content from your lesson as soon as possible to refresh your mind but also to find things that you don't understand. I also make notes by writing the question on one side of the paper and how many marks are needed and the answer on the back of the paper (basically flashcards) and use these to test myself e.g.

'front'

What are the conditions needed for nitrating benzene? (2)

'back'
    • H2SO4
    • 50oC

With past papers it depends on what you want to do. Some people leave majority of them for practice when the real exams come around, other people (and me) do them throughout the year. This is because I have a lot of end of topic tests over the year so I think the best way to prepare for them is to look at and attempt the types of questions that will come up.

ReputationRep:
    Mock Interviews
    Update 26/11/18

HEY

Righttt sooo I have now completed two mock interviews, one MMI and one Panel and I have decided that I prefer MMIs I think it's because you get a new start at each station and they are all scored separately so it's not the end of the entire world if you mess one up...
    We had about 7 stations for the mock MMIs: Personal Statement, Logical thinking, Data Analysis, Empathy/Breaking bad news, dexterity and following instructions, Maths skills and Ethical Scenarios. I think overall my scores were ok, but I did mess up on the data analysis station and found it hard to get into the flow at the dexterity station. We were given a picture and had to give instructions to the interviewer so that they could draw it on a whiteboard
    I had the panel one today and it wasn't too bad, my feedback says I need to change a some things though to improve a bit more
    On Friday, I got an interview invite from Dundee and a Plymouth interview today ahhhhh it's actually happening, ngl starting to panic because it's all real now, not just some teacher telling you how you could be asked anything is and what you should wear on the day :erm:

Aside from all that and my actual A-Levels, it's not too bad at the moment apart from the mountain of mechanics homework I keep putting off arghhh. Honestly, I think I regret taking maths for A-level, currently wishing I picked something else like economics... In Chemistry we are doing redox titrations in one class and amino acids in the other, both of which I'm not really enjoying lol. We also had chemistry tests on the last topics we did and they were ok! We had an organic test, which was on alllll the organic topics we have ever done and I got 72% and then a test on buffers which was 85%. I'm just praying it doesn't go downhill from here!! Biology is also going ok at the moment, my teacher today told me she has seen some good improvements in my work, yayyyy finally a good thing from biology Oh yeah and we got our mock exam timetables

Not even gonna bother putting my to do list on here its just toooooo longgggg people

Important Dates:
    Spoiler:
    Show

05/12/18: Parent's Evening
    12/12/18 Dundee Interview
    14/12/18 Last day of School
    10/01/19 Biology Paper 1: biological processes
    11/01/19 Chemistry Paper 1
    16/01/19 Maths Paper 1: Pure
    17/01/19 Chemistry Paper 2
    18/01/19 Biology Paper 2: biological diversity
    18/01/19 Maths Paper 2: Statistics and Mechanics
    22/01/19 Plymouth Interview

rm.25

p.s. tag list anyone??

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations on the interview offers. Add me to the tag list please.

ReputationRep:
    Glad the interviews went well :woo:
    If you're having a tag list, consider me in!! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    ahhh thank you!!! I'll tag you in the next post

(Original post by je m'en fiche)
    Congratulations on the interview offers. Add me to the tag list please.
    Glad the interviews went well :woo:
    If you're having a tag list, consider me in!! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rm.25)
    ahhh thank you!!! I'll tag you in the next post
    prsom :ta:

ReputationRep:
    Parent's Evening D:
    Update: 06/12/18

HEY

Oh no it's December... That means mock exams next month AAHHHH

So it was parent's evening yesterday and it wasn't too bad tbh. Basic structure of each appointment:
    'How do you think you're doing?'
    'Keep working hard'

Apparently I have improved quite a lot in Biology (thank GOD because this was my worst subject last year), maths don't have any concerns at the moment and in Chemistry I need to ask more questions in our physical chem lessons. I also had an electrode potentials test in chemistry which was 59%. I may have rounded it up to 60% when I told my parents I really did not like that topic, I found it really dull and hard to engage in the lessons. My chemistry teacher is now expecting me to go and see her to clear up any parts that I'm confused about (which is more or less the whole topic). I thought I was fine with it, the test was open-book and I have had sooooo much maths homework to do that I didn't really focus on revision that much. I have now discovered that open-book tests are false friends

To Do:
    Interview stuff
    Chem practical write-up
    Biology exam questions
    Maths Binomial Expansion homework

rm.25

tag list
    Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    glad parents' evening went well :woo:
    i hate electrode potentials too :yucky: :five:
    open-book tests are a waste of time :yep:
    you're doing great!! :rave:

ReputationRep:
    I am having my first mock exams in January. Can someone please tell me how to prepare for it to show my best? Thank you very much in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kitiket)
    I am having my first mock exams in January. Can someone please tell me how to prepare for it to show my best? Thank you very much in advance.
    Figure out where you are first. Do you have a good understanding of everything or do you need to relearn it all again??? If your ok on most topics, then try to revise everything, prioritising the topics you find hardest. If you need to relearn everything, focus on the core concepts of your course e.g. for Biology focus on biological molecules, cells, enzymes, biological membranes, DNA+RNA etc as these topics are related to the whole spec and link to all the modules.

ReputationRep:
    glad parents' evening went well :woo:
    i hate electrode potentials too :yucky: :five:
    open-book tests are a waste of time :yep:
    you're doing great!! :rave:
    :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much What about chemistry?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kitiket)
    Thank you very much What about chemistry?
    same sort of thing for chemistry I recommend you make a flowchart for all the reactions and mechanisms in organic chemistry. Loads of practice questions for physical and inorganic chemistry is key.

ReputationRep:
    I find electrode potential weird and feel like it is more physics than chemistry with all the electric circuits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rm.25)
    same sort of thing for chemistry I recommend you make a flowchart for all the reactions and mechanisms in organic chemistry. Loads of practice questions for physical and inorganic chemistry is key.
    Good luck for your interviews please add me to your tag list. You said you had a manual dexterity station? What did you have to do in that station?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by je m'en fiche)
    I find electrode potential weird and feel like it is more physics than chemistry with all the electric circuits.
    Same! I think that's why I find it hard to focus in those lessons because I don't like physics at all

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.