The Student Room Group

Do I have acceptable A level options for an English Language degree?

Old
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Josh5718
My school has a very limited offering and I’ve just started studying A levels in English Language and Literature, Maths and Psychology + EPQ. I really wanted to study Spanish and Religious Studies however the only way would be to move schools and I don’t really want to do that. Would I be denied for an English Language degree because I’m studying Maths, over someone who is studying a language, History and Religious Studies etc? Will it affect my chances?

You have double English and maths is well respected. just get the grades.

Always check entrance requirements for the unis that interest you.

https://university.which.co.uk/advice/a-level-choices/what-a-levels-do-you-need-to-study-english

Ps you dont mention History? was that not an option?
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
You have double English and maths is well respected. just get the grades.

Always check entrance requirements for the unis that interest you.

https://university.which.co.uk/advice/a-level-choices/what-a-levels-do-you-need-to-study-english

Ps you dont mention History? was that not an option?

Thank you, i was just worrying that i've chosen subjects that may put me at a disadvantage compared to others who are taking subjects that universities propose are useful subjects to have going into an english degree. And nope, like i said my school has a very limited offering and have chosen not to offer Historythis year, it's quite annoying but there's nothing i can do.
Original post by Josh5718
Thank you, i was just worrying that i've chosen subjects that may put me at a disadvantage compared to others who are taking subjects that universities propose are useful subjects to have going into an english degree. And nope, like i said my school has a very limited offering and have chosen not to offer Historythis year, it's quite annoying but there's nothing i can do.

To reassure yourself contact the unis concerned .

You can also explain they were the only ones offered.

Am sure they wont care and you are fretting too much over the third. Two on target is enough. It is worth the e-mails/calls though to stop you worrying and wasting time.

Get the grades.
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
To reassure yourself contact the unis concerned .

You can also explain they were the only ones offered.

Am sure they wont care and you are fretting too much over the third. Two on target is enough. It is worth the e-mails/calls though to stop you worrying and wasting time.

Get the grades.

I'll be sure to do so, thank you! i guess all i can do now is work hard.

Quick Reply

Latest