The Student Room Group

Why is it so important to keep as and a level notes

I mean if all the contents in the textbook what's the point

And why do we need to read around cuz it's not like it's gonna come up on the exam
Like ik u should be passionate about ur subject and whatever but will it make a difference to ur grade
Reply 1
1. It's useful recall-wise to physically write things down in your own words and organise them how you want
2. Reading around the subject can improve your understanding by giving you a fresh perspective
3. Reading around is also useful when you come to write your personal statement
Reply 2
*That said I never bothered with notes at A-level myself, but maybe that's down to my subject choices
Original post by bryan drozario
I mean if all the contents in the textbook what's the point

And why do we need to read around cuz it's not like it's gonna come up on the exam
Like ik u should be passionate about ur subject and whatever but will it make a difference to ur grade

All the contents might be in the textbook, but just reading over it isn’t gonna make it stick in your memory. Making notes is your way of going through the information at a pace. It’s useful for revision etc.
Original post by FloralHybrid
All the contents might be in the textbook, but just reading over it isn’t gonna make it stick in your memory. Making notes is your way of going through the information at a pace. It’s useful for revision etc.

Nah ik I write notes to revise anyway I jus mean cuz everyone's always saying to keep ur notes like why can't u jus transfer what's in the textbook straight to flashcards instead of taking notes then writing them again in flashcards
Nah ik I write notes to revise anyway I jus mean cuz everyone's always saying to keep ur notes like why can't u jus transfer what's in the textbook straight to flashcards instead of taking notes then writing them again in flashcards

So teachers can keep track of your work.

Plus, when you’re learning content in class, you can’t just sit and do nothing and be like “oh it’s fine I’ll put it on flash cards”

You need to be more elaborate at A-Level, then use flash cards to condense the info down when you’re revising. 👍🏻
Original post by Sataris
*That said I never bothered with notes at A-level myself, but maybe that's down to my subject choices

Which we're???
Original post by FloralHybrid
So teachers can keep track of your work.

Plus, when you’re learning content in class, you can’t just sit and do nothing and be like “oh it’s fine I’ll put it on flash cards”

You need to be more elaborate at A-Level, then use flash cards to condense the info down when you’re revising. 👍🏻

What if I flashcarded in class
And showed teachers flashcards as work
And isn't the info already condensed when taking notes ??? Otherwise what's the point of notes if it's gonna be the same as the textbook?
Reply 8
Original post by A level RPP
Which we're???

Maths further maths and physics
Original post by Sataris
Maths further maths and physics

Wtf did u do for physics bro
did u also happen to get As/A*'s so I can get some tips since I'm doing the same
Wtf did u do for physics bro
did u also happen to get As/A*'s so I can get some tips since I'm doing the same

What did I do? Just kept the textbook close at hand, looked up stuff I didn't understand on the internet and did loads of practice questions. And yeah I did get an A*. One of my lecturers at uni said there's only like 400 questions in physics; if you are familiar with those then you can take anything thrown at you. And that's for uni, at A-level it's even easier since the material is more basic with a more limited scope
Original post by Sataris
What did I do? Just kept the textbook close at hand, looked up stuff I didn't understand on the internet and did loads of practice questions. And yeah I did get an A*. One of my lecturers at uni said there's only like 400 questions in physics; if you are familiar with those then you can take anything thrown at you. And that's for uni, at A-level it's even easier since the material is more basic with a more limited scope

Wow only 400 that's wild, thanks for the advice

Quick Reply