The Student Room Group

I feel embarrassed to talk about my mental health

for the past year now I have been struggling so much with mental health but whenever I try and speak to family and friends about it they just dismiss it and it makes me feel stupid and isolated. I have considered talking to someone via something called 'iapt' which was recommended to me but I am scared that my issues aren't gonna be taken seriously because it is not as bad as other people's issues. I don't want to not be listened to or helped and I feel so alone and vulnerable and I don't know what to do.
Original post by Anonymous
for the past year now I have been struggling so much with mental health but whenever I try and speak to family and friends about it they just dismiss it and it makes me feel stupid and isolated. I have considered talking to someone via something called 'iapt' which was recommended to me but I am scared that my issues aren't gonna be taken seriously because it is not as bad as other people's issues. I don't want to not be listened to or helped and I feel so alone and vulnerable and I don't know what to do.

Honestly I understand what you’re going through. I also don’t want to speak to friends and family. Have you considered counselling? Is it anxiety or depression? Or something else? Even if it’s a small thing compared to others as you say, doesn’t mean it’s less of mental health issue. Confide in someone you trust. If your friends and family make you feel stupid even when u try to make them see it from ur view and they don’t listen, then stop. I think counsellors would be good or places like “pause if you’re from Birmingham. They aren’t official counsellors just a place with mental health professionals where you can talk. Not the whole formal thing. Literally pop up in for chats and they help you free of charge. Try other apps to talk to and YouTube vids I’m sure they would help . On apps you may find people like you and you can relate to them so it may help.
And stay strong !!
Reply 2
They will take you seriously, I think you should access IAPT. Your loved ones might just not understand. When people don't understand something they usually dismiss it. MH is still not widely understood, and it's sad that it isn't, but it is what it is.

Quick Reply

Latest