Can I get into investment banking with my A Levels?

Watch
01aze10
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I took Maths Chemistry and History for A Levels. Can I get into investment banking or should I swap a subject?
vicvic38
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Well, what degree do you need for that?

Economics? Accountancy? You can definitely get into economics I think.
TomDRV
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yes you can, best to do an economics degree but DON'T take it at A level. Lot's of A level economics is twisted to make it easy enough for A level and it kinda lies. Economics departments usually prefer you not to have it so they don't have to knock you down to build you back up again.
01aze10
Rep:
?
(Original post by vicvic38)
Well, what degree do you need for that?

Economics? Accountancy? You can definitely get into economics I think.
Accountancy my brother
01aze10
Rep:
?
(Original post by TomDRV)
Yes you can, best to do an economics degree but DON'T take it at A level. Lot's of A level economics is twisted to make it easy enough for A level and it kinda lies. Economics departments usually prefer you not to have it so they don't have to knock you down to build you back up again.
Aha bro thanks for this
SomMC1
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by 01aze10)
Accountancy my brother
You'll need to learn finance, though

If you arent at a target or at least a semi-target school, then the answer is no.
01aze10
Rep:
?
(Original post by SomMC1)
You'll need to learn finance, though

If you arent at a target or at least a semi-target school, then the answer is no.
What do u mean a target?

Also we can't do finance at A levels
SomMC1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What do u mean a target?

Also we can't do finance at A levels
I meant for your study degree - you need to study economics, or accounting and finance in order to have a shot at IB, as those degrees would offer you the best knowledge for IB. Pure accounting is not ideal either. LSE doesnt offer pure accounting; only in combination with finance ,for example.

Target for IB: Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Imperial, Warwick. in no particular order

Semi-target: King's, Cass Business School, Durham, Exeter, Bath, Bristol, Manchester, Nottingham, etc. There are other but those should give you a good idea. Again, in no particular order.
01aze10
Rep:
?
I meant for your study degree - you need to study economics, or accounting and finance in order to have a shot at IB, as those degrees would offer you the best knowledge for IB. Pure accounting is not ideal either. LSE doesnt offer pure accounting; only in combination with finance ,for example.

Target for IB: Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Imperial, Warwick. in no particular order

Semi-target: King's, Cass Business School, Durham, Exeter, Bath, Bristol, Manchester, Nottingham, etc. There are other but those should give you a good idea. Again, in no particular order.

Yeah I get that bro. But can I study accounting at A levels by doing Maths Chemistry and History for A levels
SomMC1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yeah I get that bro. But can I study accounting at A levels by doing Maths Chemistry and History for A levels
how can you study accounting at A level by doing those 3 subjects? doesnt make any sense.
01aze10
Rep:
?
how can you study accounting at A level by doing those 3 subjects? doesnt make any sense.

Why not? If I take maths Y would the other 2 matter?
SomMC1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Why not? If I take maths Y would the other 2 matter?
so youre taking 4 A level subjects? maths, chem, history and accounting?
01aze10
Rep:
?
so youre taking 4 A level subjects? maths, chem, history and accounting?
No I aint taking accountancy at A level. I want to take it at uni
SomMC1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No I aint taking accountancy at A level. I want to take it at uni
oh thats different. this whole time you were always referring to it at A levels lol.

it'll be tough to get to IB with just accountancy though, as you will have no knowledge on Finance during the summer intern interviews, if you get any or even on the job you will be completely lost, as you will be studying a vocational accounting degree.

And im not talking about Finance at A level; that's rubbish. Im talking uni level.
01aze10
Rep:
?
oh thats different. this whole time you were always referring to it at A levels lol.

it'll be tough to get to IB with just accountancy though, as you will have no knowledge on Finance during the summer intern interviews, if you get any or even on the job you will be completely lost, as you will be studying a vocational accounting degree.

Bro I'm going to take the risk. I fully haven't decided what I want to do. I just want to take accountancy. Do u think I could just get into accountancy with these A levels
SomMC1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Bro I'm going to take the risk. I fully haven't decided what I want to do. I just want to take accountancy. Do u think I could just get into accountancy with these A levels
It's not really a risk at all bc if you dont get into banking (which is a good chance you wont), you can go into the Big 4 and work there.
Why accountancy though? and it widely depends on what unis and what predictions you'll have, but sure those subjects arent bad.
username738914
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
the op seems very confused in this thread

Posted from TSR Mobile
SomMC1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Princepieman)
the op seems very confused in this thread

Posted from TSR Mobile
well, it's a new school year so ideas get a bit confused
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Your A-levels alone aren't going to determine much about your future, there are a lot of possible ways to end up doing investment banking. Similarly, there is no one degree that leads to IB. Sciences, maths, economics, PPE, it doesn't matter that much either.

So in short - don't worry about your A-levels. Don't even worry that much about your degree choice.
DominicW123
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Take Physics and do a Physics degree. If you do a Physics degree at one of the target universities you could be guaranteed employment before you've even graduated.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (25)
13.16%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.32%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.74%
I need help with my personal statement (79)
41.58%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (47)
24.74%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.58%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (15)
7.89%

Watched Threads