The Student Room Group

Year 9 revision

I know that it may be a year until I start my actual course for most subjects. However, I have very high standards and want do well in my GCSE's as well as comfortably keeping on top of work. I would rather start now than crank it up into full gear halfway through year 10 if you know what I mean. Any tips on how to start revising. I have started my GCSE's in science and religious studies (short course). Info on times, work ethic, organisation, general wellbeing etc would be nice thanks.
youre wasting your time and youre gunna seriously regret it when youre in year 11, you dont need to revise jackshit until like january in year 11 really, i flipped my grades completely in a couple months, anyone can. honestly dont waste your younger years doing pointless stuff that you will forget anyway, you will be taught the same part of the course atleast twice if ur in year 9 so dont worry. id say the same to you if your in year 10, the best thing to do is research effective revision techniques so that when u do revise you know how to do it right. i know people that revised 6+ hours per day from december and did **** becuase they arent revising properly
really please don’t! just revise a little for tests you have and maybe make notes for subjects you’ve started gcse courses in :smile:

i’d suggest starting at the start of year 10 if you’re conscientious, but still don’t crank it up until the start of year 11. it’s what i’ve done and i’m making good progress with high grades :yep:

if you’re starting now - you’re likely to burn out - and it’s pointless for the subjects you haven’t started!

possibly worth making notes for those subjects you have started though (as you go along)

make sure it’s effective revision though as has been suggested above ^^
Try to make notes on your science as you go and learn all the key words and equations as it will make it easier later. With regards to time I’d suggest a maximum of 2hours a week revision on top of homework.
Psshh trust me when i say it's wayy to early to be revising for your gcses. If anything just revise for upcoming tests but don't stress yourself out 2 years early coz then you'll lose motivation
If anything, just make sure you get your homework done on the day you get it so you're in good habits for year 11 (unlike me lmao)
If you're desperate to do something, just revise for every little test/assessment, as by the time you're in year 10/11 it'll likely have stayed in your head a little better
Year 9 is a great year to figure out how you learn best, so maybe try out lots of different styles of learning and see what works so you know how to go about revising for the real exams. I only started to revise (as in for little tests, not for GCSEs) in year 9 so i had no idea what I was doing for a solid few months until I learnt that highlighting notes is NOT a productive use of my time:redface:
Unless you’ve started your GCSE options this year there’s no point revising because nothing you learn this year will be on your exams. If you really insist on revising then the best thing you can do is improve your writing and analysis for English and just make sure you do well in Maths and Science. Anything else is a waste of time.
I don’t even think I knew what the word revision meant in year 9

Quick Reply

Latest