The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bio 7
So you are adding in new tech to allow it to survive sooner?

Well it would still depend on how formed it is. Have I not already been clear it needs to have brain activity, formed properly and survive out of the mother with medical aid?

If you can get new tech to have it form and survive sooner than it could now then you haven't refuted my point just made the parasite a life sooner.

Based on what you've said, the right of a fetus to be considered as a life depends on the current developmental stage of medical technology - it varies? Excuse me if I'm wrong in interpreting your statement that way.

I can push this premise of medical advancements further. Artificial wombs are currently in development. In 60 years they may be ready for use on human fetuses. So from that point forward, are all fetuses, regardless of their age, to be considered a life by your logic? Simply because of the new presence of artificial wombs which could sustain them outside of the mother?

(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by Funkymintbrother
So you're saying the right of a fetus to be considered as a life depends on the current developmental stage of medical technology - it varies?

I can push this premise of medical advancements further. Artificial wombs are currently in development. In 60 years they may be ready for use on human fetuses. So from that point forward, are all fetuses, regardless of their age, to be considered a life by your logic? Simply because of the new presence of artificial wombs which could sustain them outside of the mother?

Why can't you read my posts? I said it needs to have brain activity, be fully formed and survive outside the mother. If this mother is artificial or not is essentially the same and is only one part of it. So no, an artificial womb wouldn't mean it is alive at all stages of development as it needs to be formed and survive outside. This womb wouldn't count as outside medical tech.
(edited 5 years ago)
Hmm... my original post was taken down because... it was apparently harassment or teasing of others whose opinions i disagreed with... despite the fact that what i said wasn't even or never really implied that i disagreed with anyone... I kind of just wanted a quick answer since the original post was just so long and difficult for me to read due to lack of paragraphing but, nevermind. I even provided a reason in my second post but...context eh. Morality eh.

Original post by Bio 7
Why can't you read my posts? I said it needs to have brain activity, be fully formed and survive outside the mother. If this mother is artificial or not is essentially the same and is only one part of it. So no, an artificial womb wouldn't mean it is alive at all stages of development as it needs to be formed and survive outside. This womb wouldn't count as outside medical tech.

I don't think the unborn kid necessarily needs to have brain activity to be alive though, all it really needs is the energy necessary to operate them biological processes for maintaining life. I think a person could be brain-dead and still be classified as being alive. Plus, I don't think a child is also "just alive" after it leaves the mother and is fully developed into a born baby. Else... I think they would allow abortions when kids are just two weeks or before due from birth due to em "not being alive". I am curious though, since I am interesting in your perspective on the matter at hand.
Original post by Bio 7

My mistake, sorry. In order for a fetus to be considered alive (by you), it must meet those three requirements. Okay.

If I'm not mistaken, electrical activity in the brain of a fetus typically begins at around the 6th or 7th week. So at 6/7 weeks, that requirement has been met.

Fully formed? What does that mean? Until the baby is within the womb for the biologically intended period of time (being 9 months), it is not "fully formed". Even a baby being born prematurely by only a month isn't fully formed, and it would have a high survival rate... This requirement is unclear to me.

As for survival outside of the mother, I disagree - the artificial womb is outside medical tech. It is technology that sustains the fetus after it has been removed from the mother's internal environment earlier than the mother's internal environment intended...much like the medical technology used to support premature babies today, only at a much more premature phase in the fetus's development.