LUCY1402
Badges: 4
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Deciding on 5th choice for physics degree. Probably applying for Birmingham, Bristol, Lancaster, Nottingham but unsure between Bath (A*AA), Warwick (A*AA) and York (AAA/B). York is generally ranked lower than the other two for Physics, but it seems to be a nicer city whilst Warwick is further from a city. What are your opinion on these 3 uni's and the physics degrees there?
daily_stoic
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Personally I did not like Warwick when I visited, it had like a bad vibe to it for some reason (probably just me though). Not sure about Physics there, but my choices so far for Physics are Nottingham, Bath, Sheffield, Durham and possibly St. Andrews.
LUCY1402
(Original post by TheProctor)
Personally I did not like Warwick when I visited, it had like a bad vibe to it for some reason (probably just me though). Not sure about Physics there, but my choices so far for Physics are Nottingham, Bath, Sheffield, Durham and possibly St. Andrews.
Have you visited Bath yet and what was it that you particularly liked about it? I visited recently and felt a bit like you did at Warwick- there was nothing wrong with it but I think I preferred the campus and physics department in other universities. I know it's meant to be very good for Physics but it's quite far away from home as well. Warwick and York are much closer but haven't visited them yet.
daily_stoic
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by LUCY1402)
Have you visited Bath yet and what was it that you particularly liked about it? I visited recently and felt a bit like you did at Warwick- there was nothing wrong with it but I think I preferred the campus and physics department in other universities. I know it's meant to be very good for Physics but it's quite far away from home as well. Warwick and York are much closer but haven't visited them yet.
Have not visited Bath yet, came back from Sheffield today though and I liked it quite a bit. They have a great Student Union and some of their professors supervised/assisted at CERN for a while (however other professors from other Unis probably do the same).
LUCY1402
Have not visited Bath yet, came back from Sheffield today though and I liked it quite a bit. They have a great Student Union and some of their professors supervised/assisted at CERN for a while (however other professors from other Unis probably do the same).
I've never been to Sheffield so correct me if I'm wrong but I heard the city is quite run down and very industrial so wasn't going o go to the open day. From what you saw what did you think of the city?
LUCY1402
Also I think I'm applying to Nottingham as one of my choices, but I'm just wondering why you liked it? I thought the research facilities were particularly good and the green campus was very nice.
daily_stoic
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I liked Sheffield for it's Union, nice & green environment and nice people. It's not my first choice but it is definitely in my shortlist.

I absolutely loved Nottingham - the nature, the undergraduates there doing physics, the facilities, the Edge Gym and the professors. You know a professor has a passion when he has done a TED Talk and has his own YT channel haha (Philip Moriarty).
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Deciding on 5th choice for physics degree. Probably applying for Birmingham, Bristol, Lancaster, Nottingham but unsure between Bath (A*AA), Warwick (A*AA) and York (AAA/B). York is generally ranked lower than the other two for Physics, but it seems to be a nicer city whilst Warwick is further from a city. What are your opinion on these 3 uni's and the physics degrees there?
You have until January to make your 5 choices. There's no rush...

Have you visited any of them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
LUCY1402
(Original post by Doonesbury)
You have until January to make your 5 choices. There's no rush...

Have you visited any of them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know but with A levels I'm trying to do my research now. I've visited the other four I'm probably going to apply to, have gone to Bath and will be going to Warwick and York soon.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I know but with A levels I'm trying to do my research now. I've visited the other four I'm probably going to apply to, have gone to Bath and will be going to Warwick and York soon.
Visit them all, apply to 2 or 3 you are sure about, see what happens then apply to the last few in time for the January deadline. We see people change their minds all the time on TSR, or find that external circumstances have to be taken into account.

There really is no need to rush.
oktea
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I live just outside of Bath now, and my dad did economic there (After leaving Physics at another uni) I've also stayed in the halls there for a short course.

Its a really good campus, and there are so many buses (literary less than 10 min trips)

Bath is probably one of the safest cities in the UK but there are some really nice pubs and night clubs (I dont go to these but my mates do)

The accommodation is really nice (At least the ones I stayed in)

But as a city Bath is quite quiet (Although a train to Bristol is cheap) its also a really clean city to live in and theres a lot of country side aroun dit.
Depends what you're after.
University of Bath
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi - pleased to hear that you are considering Bath!

Bath is a highly ranked university and the physics course here has a good reputation. Students have good graduate prospects and this is particualrly helped by our excellent placement office. You can find the top 5 reasons to study physics at Bath here.

I am a second year student at the University of Bath. Whilst I do not study physics so I cannot give you much information about being on the physics course, I can give you an insight into being a student at Bath.

As you are aware, Bath is a campus uni. This gives it a real community feel, you always see lots of people you know when walking round campus. We have an excellent Student's Union with lots of groups to get involved with, from sports to media to societies to volunteering. For first years, there is accomodation on campus and in the city, both of which are excellent ways to start uni life! As well as a fabulous campus, the city of Bath itself is lovely. It's fairly small but compact with lots to do. There are plenty of bars and clubs if you are looking for nightlife, as well as shops and museums and other cultural activities. Bath is very well connected, with a coach station and a train station. It is only a 10 minute train journey from Bristol!

If you have any qusestions about Bath, please let me know.

Leah
2nd Year Chemical Engineering
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (192)
29.58%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (107)
16.49%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.94%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.32%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.86%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.72%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.86%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.24%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed