Acute insomnia causes?? Watch

aimee1014
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I haven’t been able to sleep tonight and it’s really out of the blue. Don’t know what’s caused it.

The bed was pretty hot and I couldn’t get comfy, which may account for it.

Anyone else had similar problems??
daily_stoic
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
1. Use Night Shift mode on all your devices on full yellow from sunset until sunrise. Your body's circadian rhythm is programmed based on two factors - food (digestive enzymes) and light (blue light in particular). If you are using screens without Night Mode in the evening then your body will be tricked into thinking it is day time (as there are certain cells in your eyes which react to blue light - both screens and the Sun shine the wavelength of bluer light).

That means also decrease the amount of normal light in the evening - use a lamp rather than a full room light in the evening for example.

Check out this playlist (there are some other goodies in there aside from sleep but hey, learn it, it will help you):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...D7-1aa_8BXyqLu

Also:
https://youtu.be/pwaWilO_Pig

2. Food intake - your digestive enzymes work in accord with your circadian rhythm also, and they start working with the first bite in the morning until the last bite in the evening. If you activate them (ingest something other than water) in the evening, you are restarting the process and hence tricking your body once again into thinking that it is day time. Once again, your melatonin levels drop, increasing chances of poor sleep.

3. Temperature - when you sleep your core body temperature is low, so you have to compensate for that by slightly decreasing your room temperature (open a window and let some cool air in).

4. Sleep pattern - you have to program yourself (develop a good habit) to sleep from time A till time B every day to set up a stable sleep time. Your body adapts to it and naturally promotes sleepiness and melatonin production when you arrive at time A. Going to sleep at 9 one day, then 11 the other and then 4am the next day is very bad for your circadian rhythm. Personally I try my best to go to sleep at 9:30 and awaken 5:00-5:30 every day.

I heard counting sheep works well too though
aimee1014
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by TheProctor)
1. Use Night Shift mode on all your devices on full yellow from sunset until sunrise. Your body's circadian rhythm is programmed based on two factors - food (digestive enzymes) and light (blue light in particular). If you are using screens without Night Mode in the evening then your body will be tricked into thinking it is day time (as there are certain cells in your eyes which react to blue light - both screens and the Sun shine the wavelength of bluer light).

That means also decrease the amount of normal light in the evening - use a lamp rather than a full room light in the evening for example.

Check out this playlist (there are some other goodies in there aside from sleep but hey, learn it, it will help you):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...D7-1aa_8BXyqLu

Also:
https://youtu.be/pwaWilO_Pig

2. Food intake - your digestive enzymes work in accord with your circadian rhythm also, and they start working with the first bite in the morning until the last bite in the evening. If you activate them (ingest something other than water) in the evening, you are restarting the process and hence tricking your body once again into thinking that it is day time. Once again, your melatonin levels drop, increasing chances of poor sleep.

3. Temperature - when you sleep your core body temperature is low, so you have to compensate for that by slightly decreasing your room temperature (open a window and let some cool air in).

4. Sleep pattern - you have to program yourself (develop a good habit) to sleep from time A till time B every day to set up a stable sleep time. Your body adapts to it and naturally promotes sleepiness and melatonin production when you arrive at time A. Going to sleep at 9 one day, then 11 the other and then 4am the next day is very bad for your circadian rhythm. Personally I try my best to go to sleep at 9:30 and awaken 5:00-5:30 every day.

I heard counting sheep works well too though
Thank you so much!! 🤗
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever accessed mental health support services at University?

Yes (44)
24.31%
No, but I have thought about it (48)
26.52%
No (89)
49.17%

Watched Threads