LSE Government/Poltics and Economics 2019 Applicants Watch

gmike8301
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi guys,

Thought I'd make a thread for people applying to LSE for Government and Politics for 2019 Entry

If you're thinking of applying for this course it would be great if you state:
- Your GCSE and/or AS grades
- Your predicted grades and subjects

I'm thinking of applying with A*AA in Economics, Maths and Biology and my GCSE's were 4A*'s 6A's and a B (not the strongest but hopefully it's fine)
ss_at22
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Wow, I hardly knew this thread existed!
Anyways I'm a year 13 student studying Maths, Economics and Chemistry.

I got 10A* at GCSE level and am predicted A*A*A.

I applied for Government and Economics, though I semi feel like switching... maybe to pure econ. Maybe even finance. Or, I might just stick with it, lets see.
OxbridgeRejectTT
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by ss_at22)
Wow, I hardly knew this thread existed!
Anyways I'm a year 13 student studying Maths, Economics and Chemistry.

I got 10A* at GCSE level and am predicted A*A*A.

I applied for Government and Economics, though I semi feel like switching... maybe to pure econ. Maybe even finance. Or, I might just stick with it, lets see.
Did you write about "government" in your personal statement? If so, how much on it and how much on economics?
ss_at22
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by OxbridgeRejectTT)
Did you write about "government" in your personal statement? If so, how much on it and how much on economics?
Ah okay well I would say that it was pretty much a 50-50 split. Having said that, however, I didn't really split my personal statement into an "econ section" and a "gov/politics" section. They were kinda weaved together, so I didn't really make it explicit that I was talking about econ at one point and politics at another. They complemented each other in that sense. I didn't want to explicitly mention politics TOO much since I am also applying to UCL for pure econ, but overall, I think it works as an econ statement and an economics and politics statement.
pukkapad123
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
thanks for making this thread!! its taken me so long to find other people also applying for politics and econ

gcse grades: 3a*,2a, 4b,C,D (not the best i know so i dont have any high expectations lol)
A level Predictions: a*a*aa(maths, economics, chemistry, further maths as)

what other unis are you all applying to?
gmike8301
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
i’m applying to Kings, Nottingham, Bath and Loughborough- already heard back from all the unis apart from the london ones :// wb you guys?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
ss_at22
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by gmike8301)
i’m applying to Kings, Nottingham, Bath and Loughborough- already heard back from all the unis apart from the london ones :// wb you guys?
I applied for Oxford (PPE), LSE (Politics & Economics), UCL (Economics), Durham (Economics & Politics) and Warwick (Economics, Politics & International Studies).

I sent my application on October 10 and received an offer from UCL on 2 November. I'm still waiting on the other unis, so lets see.
gmike8301
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
anyone heard from LSE??
Pancakesontoast
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by ss_at22)
I applied for Oxford (PPE), LSE (Politics & Economics), UCL (Economics), Durham (Economics & Politics) and Warwick (Economics, Politics & International Studies).

I sent my application on October 10 and received an offer from UCL on 2 November. I'm still waiting on the other unis, so lets see.
Do you mind my asking why not PPE at Lse, if applying to ppe at Oxford?
ss_at22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Pancakesontoast)
Do you mind my asking why not PPE at Lse, if applying to ppe at Oxford?
Ah well to be honest, I don't really know that much about philosophy and it's not my prime interest in the same way economics and politics most definitely are. I don't know an awful lot about philosophy but I know a fair amount about politics and economics, thus I decided to apply for it instead over PPE. That, and the fact that the LSE PPE course is 4 years as compared to 3 which seems somewhat inconvenient.
gmike8301
Rep:
?
has anyone got any offers yet?
ss_at22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by gmike8301)
has anyone got any offers yet?
I'd be interested to know this as well.

I applied for Gov&Econ on 10 0ctober, and received my UCL (econ) offer within 20 days, but am still waiting on LSE. The only thing I've received so far from LSE is the initial application confirmation letter, nothing else. According to the official LSE 2019 thread though, it seems that quite few people have received rejections in the past few weeks, and a handful of offers for smaller courses.
hark61
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hey, ive also applied for Economics at UCL but my personal statement is based on PPE. Was yours too? im worried my personal statement being about PPE will stop me from getting an offer. Also applied for politics and economics at LSE.
hark61
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
To all Politics&Economics applicants, what is your grade profile, if you dont mine me asking?
gmike8301
Rep:
?
(Original post by hark61)
To all Politics&Economics applicants, what is your grade profile, if you dont mine me asking?
i’ve mentioned this at the start but i have a*aa, B at AS for chem, 4a*s, 6as and a b in my GCSEs. my profile is not that strong and i’m not expecting an offer - just thought i’d give it a go!
ss_at22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hey, ive also applied for Economics at UCL but my personal statement is based on PPE. Was yours too? im worried my personal statement being about PPE will stop me from getting an offer. Also applied for politics and economics at LSE.
Yes my personal statement was PPE-ish. The reason for the '-ish' is the fact that it was mostly politics and economics, with a little bit of politcal philosophy near the end. I didn't put any other strands of philosopy like philosopy of religion, metaphysics or epistemology. The philosophy I used focused entirely around political issues like "equality", for instance. It could pass as a politics and economics statement or a PPE statement either way though, so I don't think it should be a huge problem.

One thing I will say though is, upon doing a little research on the UCL Economics course, it seems to have quite a strong qualitative component as compared to LSE Economics and focuses a lot on politics too, so I really don't think putting politics in it, at least, would put you at any disadvantage.

All in all, I wouldn't worry.
ss_at22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
It's at the start but I'll repeat for your benefit: 10A* at GCSE and A*A*A predictions in Maths, Chemistry and Economics. What about you?
hark61
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
anybody heard anything yet?
gmike8301
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
no but i think people got rejected from politics and international relations on the LSE official chat. they are the same department so i’m guessing decisions have been made
The HCGhost
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Bit late to this, but only just found this thread, despite being active in the main LSE thread for months!

7A*s, 3As at GCSE and a B in FSMQ. Predicted A*AA in Politics, Economics and Maths at A-Level.

Also applied to King’s College London (Political Economy), Bristol, Sussex (offer received) and Southampton (offer received).
Last edited by The HCGhost; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• London School of Economics and Political Science
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (44)
12.26%
Yes - a food allergy (39)
10.86%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (11)
3.06%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (9)
2.51%
No (256)
71.31%

Watched Threads