The Student Room Group

Teaching Courses

Hi everyone,

I am currently a swimming teacher and have completed my first GAP year since college. I've always thought about doing sports and exercise science or becoming a teacher in a secondary school or college but have never dug deep to see what its all about.

I'm starting to become lazy since I've had a year off to do what I want and now I've been thinkning of what career path to take which I would love and make very good money from so I'm thinking maybe to become a physical education teacher and then maybe become an Inspector of Education but I'm confused on how to and the process.

Is there anyone that can help me with this topic? I've got the right GCSE qualifications and did a sports diploma at college with D*D*D*.

I just want to know if anyone is a teacher at the moment or is doing a course.
What you need to do to be able to come one? (I did look on UCAS but I do not really understand.)
How many days a week do people go to university in the first year for teaching?
How is the course? Difficult?

Thank you
Eve
Hey!

I'm doing primary ed QTS so it's a little different but I would imagine the basics are the same.

You need B in english and maths and a C in science GCSE I believe (unless it has recently changed). WHen you apply, you will do a literacy and numeracy test which you must pass to teach. I am uncertain whether this would be the same for secondary for PE, but possibly as english is definitely still involved.

Like I said, my course is primary and QTS, which means no PGCE for me, I'm qualified at the end of the degree. My course is 4 days a week 9-5, not including private study time and placement. I did 8 weeks placement year 1 and doing 10 weeks this year. Final year is another 8 I think. You do a lot on learning theories and theorists.

The course is very theory based, which then translates into practice. Unlike other courses, if you don't do reading for your assignments, classes or placement you will really struggle. There is a lot of private study and it is a challenging course; you need to be totally committed and be prepared to have little free time when things start going a bit bonkers (3 assignments and placement all within a month for example).

Hope this helps a bit? Let me know if I can help any more.
Original post by ehod123
Hi everyone,

I am currently a swimming teacher and have completed my first GAP year since college. I've always thought about doing sports and exercise science or becoming a teacher in a secondary school or college but have never dug deep to see what its all about.

I'm starting to become lazy since I've had a year off to do what I want and now I've been thinkning of what career path to take which I would love and make very good money from so I'm thinking maybe to become a physical education teacher and then maybe become an Inspector of Education but I'm confused on how to and the process.

Is there anyone that can help me with this topic? I've got the right GCSE qualifications and did a sports diploma at college with D*D*D*.

I just want to know if anyone is a teacher at the moment or is doing a course.
What you need to do to be able to come one? (I did look on UCAS but I do not really understand.)
How many days a week do people go to university in the first year for teaching?
How is the course? Difficult?

Thank you
Eve

Most P.E teachers often have a sports science degree and then go on to do a PGCE. The requirements for a secondary school and college are quite different.

PGCE secondary requires you to have GCSEs in Maths, English and Science. You also have to take tests in Maths and English known as the Professional Skills Test.

A PGCE in Further Education, i.e. colleges, does not require you to take any tests and some providers may not even look at your GCSEs.

I assume by ‘Inspector of Education’, you mean an Ofsted inspector. To be an Ofsted Inspector, you must have a minimum of five years experience in a leadership role, e.g as a head teacher. Many Ofsted inspectors also have degrees in education, e.g a Masters in Education.
There are some unis that offer PE teaching as an undergraduate degree. Just as a point of clarification, you don't need Science GCSEs to teach in secondary schools, although some unis may ask for them anyway.

Teaching is a job with a high workload and PGCEs and undergraduate teaching degrees will also have a high workload.

Before you apply you should try to get some experience in secondary schools to see what the job/workload is like.

A PGCE is pretty much full time- either you're on placement full time and in uni 9-5 or 9-4. An undergraduate degree may not be as full on, but your placements will still be full time for several weeks each year. It won't be the usual undergraduate experience. If you want a degree that gives you more time for a social life, I think you'd be better off going for a sports science course or similar.
Original post by wonderland.16
Hey!

I'm doing primary ed QTS so it's a little different but I would imagine the basics are the same.

You need B in english and maths and a C in science GCSE I believe (unless it has recently changed). WHen you apply, you will do a literacy and numeracy test which you must pass to teach. I am uncertain whether this would be the same for secondary for PE, but possibly as english is definitely still involved.

Like I said, my course is primary and QTS, which means no PGCE for me, I'm qualified at the end of the degree. My course is 4 days a week 9-5, not including private study time and placement. I did 8 weeks placement year 1 and doing 10 weeks this year. Final year is another 8 I think. You do a lot on learning theories and theorists.

The course is very theory based, which then translates into practice. Unlike other courses, if you don't do reading for your assignments, classes or placement you will really struggle. There is a lot of private study and it is a challenging course; you need to be totally committed and be prepared to have little free time when things start going a bit bonkers (3 assignments and placement all within a month for example).

Hope this helps a bit? Let me know if I can help any more.

hI
When I go to uni I would like to do the same course as you ( I want to become a primary teacher)
do you mind if I ask what you are studying at uni and which one you go to
thanks
Original post by saffie2003
hI
When I go to uni I would like to do the same course as you ( I want to become a primary teacher)
do you mind if I ask what you are studying at uni and which one you go to
thanks

Hey. That's awesome!
When you ask what I am studying, do you mean modules/topic wise or...?
I'm at UWTSD in Wales.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending