What Durham college should I choose??

Watch
linguisticcat
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm applying to Durham for 2019 (doing modern languages) and as I'm also applying to Oxford I have to send in my application in about a week but I still have no idea what Durham college to choose. To be quite honest I still don't know if Durham will be my first choice if I get rejected by Oxford as location wise it is just too far away for me to be happy, which is very annoying as I loved it and the course when I visited.

Anyway I need to decide on a college to put on my application (and who knows, I might end up going to Durham) and I don't really know what.
My main problem with a lot of the colleges that I saw on the open day was the fact that most rooms in first year are shared, which doesn't sound great for me as I'm an introvert and value my personal space tbh.

Could anyone recommend me some colleges that are friendly/welcoming, are quite sociable but are mainly single rooms (preferably ensuite)? Josephine butler seems to fit what I want for accommodation but Idk if it's too far away from the uni and if there's a sense of community.
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Cuth's might be good for you.
linguisticcat
Rep:
?
(Original post by random_matt)
Cuth's might be good for you.
thanks for replying, why would you think it would be good for me?
random_matt
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Janeb120)
It's mostly all single/self-catering/ensuite.
tiny hobbit
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by random_matt)
It's all single/self-catering/ensuite.
Cuth's is NOT all single etc. Parson's Field is single, self catering or 10 meals/week package and largely ensuite. The Bailey accommodation is fully catered and has a lot of shared rooms. However it is possible on the request form to say that first choice is single room on the Bailey and that, if that is not possible, second choice is Parson's field.

I suggest that Janeb120 looks at the information about the colleges' accommodation on the Durham website. Try this page:
https://www.dur.ac.uk/experience/colleges/ug/table/
username4217900
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The only logical choice is the one with the castle
random_matt
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by rumatar)
The only logical choice is the one with the castle
Good luck with that one.
vicvic38
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
My main problem with a lot of the colleges that I saw on the open day was the fact that most rooms in first year are shared, which doesn't sound great for me as I'm an introvert and value my personal space tbh.
:eek:
Glad I dodged that bullet!! My first choice was Oxford as well, with Durham being a backup if I didn't get an offer there. Shared rooms as a standard? Like as in American Roommates shared? God, I could not deal with that. I'll put up with staying in a 6 bed hostel for a few nights, but with another person for an entire term?
:afraid:

Tbh once I got my Oxford offer I was just waiting for Durham to sort it out, so that I could reject them, haha.
linguisticcat
Rep:
?
(Original post by tiny hobbit)
Cuth's is NOT all single etc. Parson's Field is single, self catering or 10 meals/week package and largely ensuite. The Bailey accommodation is fully catered and has a lot of shared rooms. However it is possible on the request form to say that first choice is single room on the Bailey and that, if that is not possible, second choice is Parson's field.

I suggest that Janeb120 looks at the information about the colleges' accommodation on the Durham website. Try this page:
https://www.dur.ac.uk/experience/colleges/ug/table/

So if i chose St Cuth's I could put on the form that i'd prefer accommodation in Parson's Field?
random_matt
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
So if i chose St Cuth's I could put on the form that i'd prefer accommodation in Parson's Field?
They will send out a preference form.
Ann_ette
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm applying to Durham for 2019 (doing modern languages) and as I'm also applying to Oxford I have to send in my application in about a week but I still have no idea what Durham college to choose. To be quite honest I still don't know if Durham will be my first choice if I get rejected by Oxford as location wise it is just too far away for me to be happy, which is very annoying as I loved it and the course when I visited.

Anyway I need to decide on a college to put on my application (and who knows, I might end up going to Durham) and I don't really know what.

Could anyone recommend me some colleges that are friendly/welcoming, are quite sociable but are mainly single rooms (preferably ensuite)? Josephine butler seems to fit what I want for accommodation but Idk if it's too far away from the uni and if there's a sense of community.
DON'T choose Hild Bede - It's the worst place in durham if you ask me, and I live in this college! NO community at all! Rude staff which acts agains student wishes, needs and wellbeing!
AIDAN'S COLLEGE IS THE BEST!!! IF you are looking for an open minded, liberal and diverse community, if you like sports and if you are creative (many fancy dress formals) and if you study at the science site then AIDAN'S !!!
lauraleech
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
castle is oversubcrsibed- 1/25 chance you'll get in.
most students do not live in castle in first year- they get put in blocks outside caslte
living in the actual castle is given to finalists/ 3rd yrs
if you are in castle for ur first year, it will be definitely shared.
theres a new self-catered block ill be going to that offers also meal packages and is ensuite.
everything else catered is shared facilities (unless the slim chance you get into castle 1st yr- u will be sharing a room with somebody else but have an ensuite)
ccmx
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
HELP!! I'm about to apply to durham for psychology but sadly didn't make it to any of the open days... Looking online, I've narrowed my choice of college down to st mary's and st cuthbert's but I really can't decide between the two. I'd be so grateful for ANY opinions from people who have visited the colleges or know something about them.

Thank you!!
mjw85
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ccmx)
HELP!! I'm about to apply to durham for psychology but sadly didn't make it to any of the open days... Looking online, I've narrowed my choice of college down to st mary's and st cuthbert's but I really can't decide between the two. I'd be so grateful for ANY opinions from people who have visited the colleges or know something about them.

Thank you!!
I’m wanting to study psychology too!! I’ve narrowed to down to collingwood, st marys or greys but I have no idea... any opinions would be greatfully received. Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (73)
17.46%
No one else does (130)
31.1%
I'm embarrassed about my background (45)
10.77%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (143)
34.21%
We don't use a video platform (7)
1.67%
I don't have a camera (10)
2.39%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (10)
2.39%

Watched Threads