MKaur18
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Do we need a printer for uni? Experiences would be good to here. I am unsure on whether I will be writing or typing uni notes.. any advice, and any good suggestions for printers pls! - which are good quality and cheap for students.
Noodlzzz
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Check if you get credit/allowance on your department or university wide printers. At UCL we were given £25 over the 3 years which was plenty for moderate use and printing off a number of dissertations.
ihatePE
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
dont buy a printer. the ink cartridges are extremely expensive in the long run.
MKaur18
Rep:
?
(Original post by Noodlzzz)
Check if you get credit/allowance on your department or university wide printers. At UCL we were given £25 over the 3 years which was plenty for moderate use and printing off a number of dissertations.
I will definitely check that out, can I find that out online? I tried googling it but I couldn’t find anything.

I’m thinking of printing the lecture notes, it won’t be more expensive than £20 for the whole year though? I prefer paper copies and writing things out, but I do like to vary it.

Thank you both for sharing btw.
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I have a Canon printer and I recommend having one. I used it a lot in first year, for when I had to print out and send off forms etc. I also printed out revision posters and notes a lot. I'm planning on doing the same in second year.
MKaur18
Rep:
?
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
I have a Canon printer and I recommend having one. I used it a lot in first year, for when I had to print out and send off forms etc. I also printed out revision posters and notes a lot. I'm planning on doing the same in second year.
Did you think it was more cost effective then to buy your own printer? Other than the fact it was useful.

I wouldn’t print every single slide, just the ones that seem useful, and i’d shrink them. It’s a good shout to hand write them. Did you uni give you a printing allowance and if so, how much? I get it’s not great for the environment, so I would be printing wisely. I just need a rough estimate how many pages do you think you printed throughout the whole year and was your degree heavy on like essays (ie were you printing lots of essays)?
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by MKaur18)
I wouldn’t print every single slide, just the ones that seem useful, and i’d shrink them. It’s a good shout to hand write them. Did you uni give you a printing allowance and if so, how much? I get it’s not great for the environment, so I would be printing wisely. I just need a rough estimate how many pages do you think you printed throughout the whole year and was your degree heavy on like essays (ie were you printing lots of essays)?
Sorry the app won't let me quote your reply to me!

I have no idea about the cost. But it was so much easier. I lived 40 minutes away from uni in first year. I didn't want to have to travel all that time just to print out one sheet of paper. It was much easier to just click a few buttons and print it out in my room instead.

Same with this year. I'm 20 minutes away from uni, I don't want to travel that far in order to print out something.
MKaur18
Rep:
?
Sorry the app won't let me quote your reply to me!

I have no idea about the cost. But it was so much easier. I lived 40 minutes away from uni in first year. I didn't want to have to travel all that time just to print out one sheet of paper. It was much easier to just click a few buttons and print it out in my room instead.

Same with this year. I'm 20 minutes away from uni, I don't want to travel that far in order to print out something.
How much did you pay for yours and what was the printer called? I’ll probs wait and see when I get to uni, but it’s something to think about.
frostfly
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This one.

Here are the cartridges: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-302-Bl...EAAOSwMqBaX74H
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think it was around £30-50 (my dad bought it so I'm not sure) and I don't know the name sorry! Just that it's a Canon one.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
Do we need a printer for uni? Experiences would be good to here. I am unsure on whether I will be writing or typing uni notes.. any advice, and any good suggestions for printers pls! - which are good quality and cheap for students.
Depends how you study and what you are studying.

For my personal use then i think one is essential because I cant be bothered trailing to the library and like to have a printing facility on hand.

You can just get a cheap black and white laser, even second hand .

I find hard copes are useful for notes , research and writing essays.

It doesnt have to be expensive plus i would avoid inkjets.

It might be the flat can pool resources for one.

When you are chasing a deadline then having a printer is pretty important.
MKaur18
Rep:
?
Thank you. How long will they last roughly?
I think it was around £30-50 (my dad bought it so I'm not sure) and I don't know the name sorry! Just that it's a Canon one.
No worries. Thanks though, I know that Canon and Hp are good.
(Original post by 999tigger)

For my personal use then i think one is essential because I cant be bothered trailing to the library and like to have a printing facility on hand.

That’s quite true. If you don’t mind me asking, what course are you studying? What printer do you own and how much did it cost you for the printer and cartridges? At A level, I mainly used a printer for past papers, making revision notes, printing out resources, photocopying and for forms at home. I do prefer hard copies of important documents eg equation booklets, important information etc..

I am looking at a HP Envy or Canon Pixma MG3650.
MKaur18
Rep:
?
(Original post by Noodlzzz)

(Original post by ihatePE)
dont buy a printer. the ink cartridges are extremely expensive in the long run.
(Original post by 999tigger)

In the end, my uni charges for printing. There’s no allowance allocated like £25 for the year so was better of just investing in one.

Thanks all
TensorTympani
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You will need a printer for uni.
I recommend Epson XP-355
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU9AqMe952Q
MKaur18
Rep:
?
(Original post by TensorTympani)
You will need a printer for uni.
I recommend Epson XP-355
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU9AqMe952Q
Yeah ^ look at my last post.
Thanks.
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You won’t need it probably, most things should be submitted online which means printing off is really just for your own benefit. Waste of time and space.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I really think this is unnecessary.

So much is done by electronic copies of PDFs nowadays.

Most unis give you printing credits, both unis ive been to have always provided ample free printing to cover my needs.
MKaur18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by mnot)
I really think this is unnecessary.

So much is done by electronic copies of PDFs nowadays.

Most unis give you printing credits, both unis ive been to have always provided ample free printing to cover my needs.
Hi this was 2 years ago for me now. My uni gave us no credits, and personally preferred having real copies in front of me. That’s just what works for me. Thanks
markova21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hello just found this thread. My son wants a new laptop for September, and I assumed the smart thing to do would be to have his own small printer in his room. However he said it won't be needed as everything is done on Turnitin anyway. So will his own printer really not be needed? Thanks.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by markova21)
Hello just found this thread. My son wants a new laptop for September, and I assumed the smart thing to do would be to have his own small printer in his room. However he said it won't be needed as everything is done on Turnitin anyway. So will his own printer really not be needed? Thanks.
Hello markova21!

He will probably never need to hand in a written copy of anything that side of it will be online.
However I'd say it depends on his learning needs as to whether he needs a printer or not. if he's someone who likes to physically see notes infront of him then a printer will be helpful.
If not then he won't need one and if he does need to ever print he can always use the printers in the library!

Eloise - Official Student Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (83)
18.61%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (90)
20.18%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (84)
18.83%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (97)
21.75%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (44)
9.87%
I haven't started researching yet (48)
10.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise