Who remembers using VHS tapes? Watch

Trainboy2002
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
VHS tapes were something I grew up with. I only started using DVDs around 2008, when VHS officially became obsolete and most of the VHS tapes I owned became unplayable because they got worn out with me watching them repeatedly over the years.

I had many VHS tapes. I had quite a few Thomas the tank engine VHS tapes, my favourites being "Chases, Races and Runaways" and "Happy Holidays". I also had the Star Wars trilogy on VHS as well.

Here in the UK (I don't know if they had them in the USA or other countries) we had a film/video game rental shop called Blockbuster. You were able to borrow VHS tapes/DVDs/Video games, like that of a Library. I used to borrow all sorts of VHS tapes from there. Blockbuster unfortunately went out of business around 2012, but they didn't have VHS tapes at that time. I think they stopped taking in VHS tapes around 2006ish?

Who remembers VHS tapes?
username3883544
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My mum still has them and a VHS player.
Sataris
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ahhh, Thomas the Tank Engine VHS was the best :yep:
Trainboy2002
Rep:
?
(Original post by DSutch)
My mum still has them and a VHS player.
I still have a few of my old ones, and my VHS player still works.
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yep. Blockbuster was American.
R3negade
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yep, they sucked. You go to watch your favourite film only to find that your mum has taped over it with corrie.
H20 III
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I had a few, i used to watch harry potter an the philosophers stone on repeat. also had haunted house(eddie murphy), daddy day care, cats and dogs and a video of my christening as a baby. they're better than cd's
_gcx
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah I used to have Thomas the Tank Engine episodes on VHS. That said thank god we have more reliable media now.
Trainboy2002
Rep:
?
(Original post by H20 III)
I had a few, i used to watch harry potter an the philosophers stone on repeat. also had haunted house(eddie murphy), daddy day care, cats and dogs and a video of my christening as a baby. they're better than cd's
I had Harry Potter on VHS as well, and I used to record Coronation Street episodes onto blank VHS tapes.
username2889812
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yep those days...when the tapes contain problems...and when VHS player gets stuck...
I had Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets...:grin:
Trainboy2002
Rep:
?
(Original post by _gcx)
Yeah I used to have Thomas the Tank Engine episodes on VHS. That said thank god we have more reliable media now.
I have the episodes on DVD now. A few of my old Thomas the tank engine VHS tapes got damaged when they got jammed in my VHS player, and I sold a lot of them on a car boot sale.
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Trainboy2002)
I have the episodes on DVD now. A few of my old Thomas the tank engine VHS tapes got damaged when they got jammed in my VHS player, and I sold a lot of them on a car boot sale.
Yeah I think we sold or donated ours too when we got rid of our VHS player. I still have my DVDs from when I was younger. (particularly Toy Story which I watched to no end) I'm not sure if people really even buy physical media much anymore with streaming services and that.
Trainboy2002
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sataris)
Ahhh, Thomas the Tank Engine VHS was the best :yep:
Indeed. I still have the boxes for some of the Thomas the tank engine VHS tapes, but the tapes got damaged.
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Me, but I'm an old.

Does anyone on here remember using VHS tapes to record TV shows?
username4171924
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
mEEEEeaEeeeEeEEeeEeeeEeEEeeeE

And then sometimes you’d have to get a pen/pencil to roll it back tightly ahahahahahaha
Trainboy2002
Rep:
?
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Me, but I'm an old.

I used to record episodes of Coronation Street on blank VHS tapes, in the days before Sky existed.
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Trainboy2002)
I used to record episodes of Coronation Street on blank VHS tapes, in the days before Sky existed.
I remember the struggle of having to decide which show to record over when you ran out of blank tapes
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I still put on Rugrats on VHS for my little brother he likes it more than dvds. The colour was more natural, hearing those noises as it went in, the flickers… it’s a better experience by far.

Miss the good times! I think late 90s - 00’s was perfect. We had the good old stuff but technology, although it didn’t consume us.
GlockInmyRari
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Remember that you had to rewind a tape before you could watch it from the start? Being all excited for a movie, but having to wait a couple of minutes to rewind.

I also remember being a kid, when i wasn't old enough to watch football matches till the end. Like CL matches ended around 22:30, which was way past my bedtime. So i always recorded the second half and watched it in the morning before going to school.
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I still do, recorded two episodes of David Starkey last week.

(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Me, but I'm an old.

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you registered to vote?

18-20 years old (yes) (164)
53.07%
18-20 years old (no) (37)
11.97%
20-25 years old (yes) (50)
16.18%
20-25 years old (no) (4)
1.29%
25-30 years old (yes) (20)
6.47%