Original post by Maths1210
Write the equation without a fraction

1/(x-2)(x+1) = A/x-2+B/x+1

can someone also explain? Thanks.

Are you trying to find A and B? If so use partial fractions
Reply 2
Original post by Howie_2114
Are you trying to find A and B? If so use partial fractions

It says that A and B are constants that remain in my answers.
Reply 3
Moved to Maths.

Start by treating it like an equation. 1(x2)(x+1)=Ax2+Bx+1\dfrac{1}{(x-2)(x+1)} = \dfrac{A}{x-2} + \dfrac{B}{x+1}.

When you multiply both sides by (x2)(x+1)(x - 2)(x + 1), you get 1=A(x+1)+B(x2)1 = A(x + 1) + B(x - 2)

So you substitute in different values of x to cancel out one of the unknowns and find the values of A and B. x is a variable, you can let it equal whatever you want.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Sinnoh
Moved to Maths.

Start by treating it like an equation. 1(x2)(x+1)=Ax2+Bx+1\dfrac{1}{(x-2)(x+1)} = \dfrac{A}{x-2} + \dfrac{B}{x+1}.

When you multiply both sides by (x2)(x+1)(x - 2)(x + 1), you get 1=A(x+1)+B(x2)1 = A(x + 1) + B(x - 2)

So you substitute in different values of x to cancel out one of the unknowns and find the values of A and B. x is a variable, you can let it equal whatever you want.

What do you mean by cancel out one of the unknowns?
Reply 5
What do you mean by cancel out one of the unknowns?

Supposing you let x = 2. What happens then?
Reply 6
Original post by Sinnoh
Supposing you let x = 2. What happens then?

Oh right so it would get rid of the bracket next to B. Wouldnt that answer be okay though since it is no longer in a fraction?
Reply 7
Oh right so it would get rid of the bracket next to B. Wouldnt that answer be okay though since it is no longer in a fraction?

Wait until you've found the values of A and B, then put those values into the format they're asking for.
Reply 8
Original post by Sinnoh
Wait until you've found the values of A and B, then put those values into the format they're asking for.

Okay well I put 2 into it and 1= A(3) + B?
Reply 9
Okay well I put 2 into it and 1= A(3) + B?

It would be 3A + 0B, because you have B(2 - 2). So 3A = 1, A = 1/3, so one part of your fraction is 13(x2)\dfrac{1}{3(x-2)}. Now substitute -1 for x to find B
Reply 10
Original post by Sinnoh
It would be 3A + 0B, because you have B(2 - 2). So 3A = 1, A = 1/3, so one part of your fraction is 13(x2)\dfrac{1}{3(x-2)}. Now substitute -1 for x to find B

would B be -1/3?
Reply 11
would B be -1/3?

Yep :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Sinnoh
Yep :smile:

But then how would I not get it into a fraction?
Reply 13

Just subtract them?
Reply 14

Remember we're trying to get it so that you've got two fractions being added together, each with a linear denominator - as opposed to the original one, which had a quadratic in the denominator.

Since
Unparseable latex formula:

\dfrac{A}{x-2} \equiv A*\dfac{1}{x-2}

, we can substitute our values of A and B that we found to get our linear partial fractions:

131x2131x+1\dfrac{1}{3} * \dfrac{1}{x-2} - \dfrac{1}{3} * \dfrac{1}{x+1}

So just multiply them together and you have your partial fractions.

Back in 15-20
Reply 15
Original post by Sinnoh
Remember we're trying to get it so that you've got two fractions being added together, each with a linear denominator - as opposed to the original one, which had a quadratic in the denominator.

Since
Unparseable latex formula:

\dfrac{A}{x-2} \equiv A*\dfac{1}{x-2}

, we can substitute our values of A and B that we found to get our linear partial fractions:

131x2131x+1\dfrac{1}{3} * \dfrac{1}{x-2} - \dfrac{1}{3} * \dfrac{1}{x+1}

So just multiply them together and you have your partial fractions.

Back in 15-20
what does the star mean?
Reply 16
what does the star mean?

Multiplied
Given that the original post was simply to "write the equation without a fraction", I do wonder if it was not just a case of multiplying through by the two denominator factors and perhaps rearranging, and leaving it at that (especially as A and B are to remain in the answer); rather than doing the full blown partial fractions. I suspect the question is leading into partial fractions, but that's not yet been covered.
Reply 18
Original post by ghostwalker
Given that the original post was simply to "write the equation without a fraction", I do wonder if it was not just a case of multiplying through by the two denominator factors and perhaps rearranging, and leaving it at that (especially as A and B are to remain in the answer); rather than doing the full blown partial fractions. I suspect the question is leading into partial fractions, but that's not yet been covered.

Yeah I think you're right.

Well hopefully there's a part b or something

Quick Reply

Latest