The Student Room Group
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde

Transferring degree at start of first year

Hi everyone. I'm about to become a first year Law student at Strathclyde. I chose to study Law because I thought it would be a great degree to have, something I'd be relatively good at and the career options were appealing. However my true interest for a long time has always been politics, however it wasn't something I had in mind as a potential career but the past couple of months my thoughts have changed and I am starting to question my choice of course.

I would be interested in changing to either law & politics or just politics on it's own. I've read online that it is possible to change within your first few weeks at uni. Do any Strathclyde students have experience of this? Is there a high likelihood that I will be allowed to change? and I do fit the entry requirements. Also who would I speak to?

Thanks.
Original post by Sophie.Bx
Hi everyone. I'm about to become a first year Law student at Strathclyde. I chose to study Law because I thought it would be a great degree to have, something I'd be relatively good at and the career options were appealing. However my true interest for a long time has always been politics, however it wasn't something I had in mind as a potential career but the past couple of months my thoughts have changed and I am starting to question my choice of course.

I would be interested in changing to either law & politics or just politics on it's own. I've read online that it is possible to change within your first few weeks at uni. Do any Strathclyde students have experience of this? Is there a high likelihood that I will be allowed to change? and I do fit the entry requirements. Also who would I speak to?

Thanks.

https://www.strath.ac.uk/studentlifecycle/transfer-exchange/

Make enquiries as above but also try and give your own course a go.
If they have space it should be straightforward.
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde

Thanks.

Hi @Sophie.Bx - thanks for your message and welcome to Strathclyde! Is it the LLB Law you are currently enrolled in? Or the general BA Law?

Transfers can be possible particularly in the first few weeks, but it does depend on space within classes and timetabling etc. If you are certain you would like to change I would contact your Class coordinator/Adviser of studies as soon as possible. Perhaps you have an induction meeting or lecture taking place this week and someone you could speak to then?

Ps - hope you enjoy Freshers week this week!

Best wishes - Sarah - Strathclyde Rep
Reply 3
Original post by University of Strathclyde
Hi @Sophie.Bx - thanks for your message and welcome to Strathclyde! Is it the LLB Law you are currently enrolled in? Or the general BA Law?

Transfers can be possible particularly in the first few weeks, but it does depend on space within classes and timetabling etc. If you are certain you would like to change I would contact your Class coordinator/Adviser of studies as soon as possible. Perhaps you have an induction meeting or lecture taking place this week and someone you could speak to then?

Ps - hope you enjoy Freshers week this week!

Best wishes - Sarah - Strathclyde Rep

Its the LLB, and yeah I sent my adviser an email so will wait and see.

And thank you:smile:

Also my SAAS payment hasn't arrived, should I contact SAAS directly or speak to the uni?
Its the LLB, and yeah I sent my adviser an email so will wait and see.

And thank you:smile:

Also my SAAS payment hasn't arrived, should I contact SAAS directly or speak to the uni?

Hi @Sophie.Bx - that's great. Your adviser is definitely the best place to start for any enquiries around transfers or changes!

And yes - it would be best to contact SAAS directly with any concerns. From their website it looks like they are expecting busy phone lines today but they have given a few different methods of contacting them http://www.saas.gov.uk/index.htm

Hope this helps!

Sarah
Reply 5
Original post by University of Strathclyde
Hi @Sophie.Bx - that's great. Your adviser is definitely the best place to start for any enquiries around transfers or changes!

And yes - it would be best to contact SAAS directly with any concerns. From their website it looks like they are expecting busy phone lines today but they have given a few different methods of contacting them http://www.saas.gov.uk/index.htm

Hope this helps!

Sarah

Ok thank you very much!
Hi Sophie,

Did you manage to get your course sorted? How have you found your first week of classes so far? I'm in my final year of the LLB so if you have any law related questions or other questions in general then feel free to get in touch.

Melissa- Strathclyde Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending