The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Passport??

Hi! I got the welcome pack recently and on my checklist it very boldly specifies that I need to either provide a password or get a countersignature.. My current passport is not valid, but can I really not use my driving license?
Reply 1
Original post by nyula
Hi! I got the welcome pack recently and on my checklist it very boldly specifies that I need to either provide a password or get a countersignature.. My current passport is not valid, but can I really not use my driving license?

What's this for?
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
You definitely dont need a passport for halls. Unless your an international student, which you cant be because british immigration may be poor, but wouldnt let you into the UK without a valid passport.
Reply 3
Original post by s817
What's this for?

Going based on this which is from the 'your arrival' booket I got in the post.. :tongue:
Then just fill out the ID form - they tell you to do that if you don’t have a valid passport quite clearly.

What’s the fuss about?

NB - it’s not uncommon to have to show your passport in order to register at uni even if you’re British. I’m British and I still had to bring my passport to register at LSE. It’s so they can check that you are a UK citizen and that you’re entitled to be here .
Reply 5
Original post by LeapingLucy
Then just fill out the ID form - they tell you to do that if you don’t have a valid passport quite clearly.

What’s the fuss about?

NB - it’s not uncommon to have to show your passport in order to register at uni even if you’re British. I’m British and I still had to bring my passport to register at LSE. It’s so they can check that you are a UK citizen and that you’re entitled to be here .

Fair enough, I just thought it was a pain for me to find a countersign when I have my drivers license, birth certificate, etc. on hand and wasn't aware it was even common practice. =/
Reply 6
I had to show my passport i our place, too. Wasn't that impressed about them having my passport number on file given how useless admin are, but hey-ho.
It's also to do with student finance as a check to make sure you're attending the institution and who you say you are. They use the passport number to check against SFE records that they download daily. Once the check is complete, payments can be released by SFE.
Yes. Until you’re registered, your student finance can’t be released. And they have to check that you’re entitled to pay home fees.

Quick Reply

Latest