The Student Room Group

Do student loans pay for Wi-Fi

just like the title implies, do student loans pay for Wi-Fi? I know that universities use eduroam which is free but im still confused. Only tuition fees, does that include internet usage?
Reply 1
Original post by Sairah00
just like the title implies, do student loans pay for Wi-Fi? I know that universities use eduroam which is free but im still confused. Only tuition fees, does that include internet usage?

The tuition fee loan only pays for tuition fees, it goes straight to the uni. The maintenance loan goes to you and can be used for anything.

Eduroam is free to use at all universities. It is covered by your tuition fee as part of an inclusive service provided by the university.

If you are talking about personal internet usage such as your phone bill or home package, you have to pay for that yourself with either the maintenance loan (provided directly to you by student finance) or by other means.
(edited 5 years ago)

The university pay for the WiFi so yes, in theory, our tuition fee loans pay for the WiFi. However, universities have several different ways of making money and I don't imagine you can always know exactly which source of money paid for what.
eduroam is a worldwide network, maintained and provided in the UK by an organisation called Jisc, it's not something you'll need to pay for and it's accessible at educational institutions around the world for you to use so long as you attend a university enrolled to use it. If you're staying in halls, you'll likely have Internet access included - as for your mobile Internet usage or private WiFi (if you're living in a shared house), that would be your responsibility to pay for.
Unless you live in private housing...

As a fresher with this question internet will of course be provided in halls as its on Uni grounds, most student accomodations also offer wifi included in rent. But of course not in a private house as stated, as this is a non university property, or one offered with students in mind and is just rented from the open and free economy.
Reply 6
Original post by Paracosm
eduroam is a worldwide network, maintained and provided in the UK by an organisation called Jisc, it's not something you'll need to pay for and it's accessible at educational institutions around the world for you to use so long as you attend a university enrolled to use it. If you're staying in halls, you'll likely have Internet access included - as for your mobile Internet usage or private WiFi (if you're living in a shared house), that would be your responsibility to pay for.

ok, i see. Thank you. But im right in assumimg that the university pays for eduroam.
ok, i see. Thank you. But im right in assumimg that the university pays for eduroam.

Yes. They will pay for this with income from tuition fees, research grants and other local funding.

Quick Reply

Latest