Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I’ll be moving into Founders on the 22nd and I just have a few questions about the hall: What supplies are provided in bedrooms and pantries (e.g. duvets, bins, toasters, microwaves, etc.)? Are fairy lights and desk lamps allowed (apparently the building is highly flammable!)? How much do the laundry facilities cost to use, and will we be shown how to use them? Does the dining hall provide all three meals or just breakfast? And when will catered students be given the cards which show they are catered, and how exactly does this card system work?

Thanks!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by ayylmao100)
    Hi,

I’ll be moving into Founders on the 22nd and I just have a few questions about the hall: What supplies are provided in bedrooms and pantries (e.g. duvets, bins, toasters, microwaves, etc.)? Are fairy lights and desk lamps allowed (apparently the building is highly flammable!)? How much do the laundry facilities cost to use, and will we be shown how to use them? Does the dining hall provide all three meals or just breakfast? And when will catered students be given the cards which show they are catered, and how exactly does this card system work?

Thanks!
    Hi ayylmao100,

We can't wait to have you join us at the end of the month!

Your room in Founder's will be equipped with a single bed (190cm x 90cm) with storage, wardrobe, drawers, desk, waste paper bin, desk chair, mattress protector, single duvet, pillow and pillow protector, some rooms have sinks in them and a desk lamp is also provided for you. You'll need to bring your own sheets, a single duvet cover, pillowcases and towels. You are welcome to bring decorations for your room, but unfortunately due to the nature of the building, fairy lights aren't allowed.

The pantry is equipped with a fridge, toaster, kettle and sink. Founder's Dining Hall offers all three meals during the week and The Hub provides daily lunch and dinner. As it's a pay as you go system, you aren't required to have all of your meals in the catered dining halls, but the 50% discount for catered students only applies to certain catering venues such as Founder's Dining Hall, The Hub (weekends only) and KW's in Kingswood. I lived in Kingswood in my first year and I would make my own breakfast and sometimes a sandwich for lunch and then have dinner in the dining hall. In order to get the catered discount of 50%, you'll need to top up your college card and pay with this. When you enroll and receive your college card, this discount should automatically be added to your card. Your college card will also act as your room key so make sure you keep it on you at all times.

The laundry facilities are located near Founder's West Halls/Residential Reception and we recommend using the mobile app to pay for your laundry. If you don't have an iPhone or Android device, your Halls reception can provide you with a laundry card which can be topped up online. There are instructions on how to register and top up your laundry card and how to use the washers and dryers in the laundrettes. The laundrettes are cashless and cost £2.80 for a wash cycle and £1.30 for drying.

I hope this helps, but please let me know if you have any other questions!

Have you thought about how you plan on decorating your room?

Susana

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the info Susanna! If I want to top up my college card, I assume this money comes out of my maintenance loan, but how exactly can I top it up? Speaking of the maintenance loan, is this money only received once we have completed enrolment? Also, I’m very excited to have received my room number (on my vehicle pass) - it’s W278 - but I was wondering if you might know where abouts in Founders this is. I assume it’s on the west side on the second floor, but do you know anything more about what it might be like (e.g. whether it overlooks a quad or the field)? I was also thinking about clubs and societies - do I have to pay for each one I join - if so, how much? And how do I know which societies have activities which overlap (so I can avoid this happening)? Thanks and sorry for all the questions!!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Thanks for the info Susanna! If I want to top up my college card, I assume this money comes out of my maintenance loan, but how exactly can I top it up? Speaking of the maintenance loan, is this money only received once we have completed enrolment? Also, I’m very excited to have received my room number (on my vehicle pass) - it’s W278 - but I was wondering if you might know where abouts in Founders this is. I assume it’s on the west side on the second floor, but do you know anything more about what it might be like (e.g. whether it overlooks a quad or the field)? I was also thinking about clubs and societies - do I have to pay for each one I join - if so, how much? And how do I know which societies have activities which overlap (so I can avoid this happening)? Thanks and sorry for all the questions!!
    Hi ayylmao100,

You can top up your college card using the online system UPayChilli. Instructions on how to do this can be found here. With regards to your maintenance loan, you should receive this shortly after you complete enrolment.

I've had a look into the room for you and you are on the west side facing in towards the quad.

For clubs and societies, there will be an ongoing fair during Welcome Week where you'll be able to chat to our clubs and societies members and they'll be able to let you know when and what time their regular activities are run. Before you pay for an individual society, you need to purchase a student opportunities membership that contributes to the 'behind the scenes' costs that go into supporting each student group. This can be made to cover one year (£12), two years (£21) or three years (£30). The cost to join a society or club varies depending on the needs of each group and all clubs and societies are run through the Students' Union if they aren't departmental societies.

Susana

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Royal Holloway, University of London)
    Hi ayylmao100,

You can top up your college card using the online system UPayChilli. Instructions on how to do this can be found here. With regards to your maintenance loan, you should receive this shortly after you complete enrolment.

I've had a look into the room for you and you are on the west side facing in towards the quad.

For clubs and societies, there will be an ongoing fair during Welcome Week where you'll be able to chat to our clubs and societies members and they'll be able to let you know when and what time their regular activities are run. Before you pay for an individual society, you need to purchase a student opportunities membership that contributes to the 'behind the scenes' costs that go into supporting each student group. This can be made to cover one year (£12), two years (£21) or three years (£30). The cost to join a society or club varies depending on the needs of each group and all clubs and societies are run through the Students' Union if they aren't departmental societies.

Susana
    Thanks so much, I’m so happy to have a view of a quad! I was also wondering if the basin in my room provides drinking water - I heard from former students that the water from these basins is not drinkable but I’m confused as to what exactly one can do with non-drinking water! Some coming freshers and I were discussing our timetables and all of us doing psychology noticed that we didn’t have anything on Fridays. Could this be the case, or are our timetables not fully updated yet? Also, we’re confused as to whether or not we get half-term-equivalent breaks, e.g. reading weeks, between the long holidays? Finally, out of personal interest, do you know if the old Founders library (I believe it’s called the Founders west reading room) is still operational and accessible to students? I’ve heard rumours that it is to be converted into staff office space, which seems a shame! Thanks again, Susana!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Thanks so much, I’m so happy to have a view of a quad! I was also wondering if the basin in my room provides drinking water - I heard from former students that the water from these basins is not drinkable but I’m confused as to what exactly one can do with non-drinking water! Some coming freshers and I were discussing our timetables and all of us doing psychology noticed that we didn’t have anything on Fridays. Could this be the case, or are our timetables not fully updated yet? Also, we’re confused as to whether or not we get half-term-equivalent breaks, e.g. reading weeks, between the long holidays? Finally, out of personal interest, do you know if the old Founders library (I believe it’s called the Founders west reading room) is still operational and accessible to students? I’ve heard rumours that it is to be converted into staff office space, which seems a shame! Thanks again, Susana!
    Hi ayylmao100,

I apologise for the delay in getting back to you. I've had a look into this for you and all water in Founder's is potable, which means that it's safe to drink.

It is possible that you wouldn't have any classes on a Friday as each department will have a different amount of contact hours. I studied Drama and Theatre Studies and due to the nature of the course, I had four 3-hour classes a week which meant that I had a day off each week. With regards to reading weeks, this is at the discretion of the department.

The ground floor of the Founder's Library has been turned into office space, but the Founder's West Reading Rooms is currently being renovated and will be returned to its original use once this work is completed.

Susana

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 13, 2018
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.