The Student Room Group
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames

Missing lectures for Doctors appointments.

Hi im starting in september and i wanted to ask if there is any sort of procedure for when u gotta miss a lecture for a doctors appointment. Since ive currently got a health issue going on ive been scheduled for appointments every 3 months as well as a ultrasound scan on my kidney. I have looked at my timetable and this means that i have to miss maybe one or two lectures (maybe two because of the time it will take to travel there)
I cannot go on the weekends as the department i need to go to is only open Mon-Fri and so i was wondering if i have to let someone know in advance or just not show up. And if i do that would it be recorded on my attendance?
If you have a personal tutor this is a good question to ask him or her early on.

Many universities don't monitor lecture attendance, in which case no-one will notice that you aren't there. Some do monitor attendance, in which case there might be a form to fill in or person you should e-mail.

It's polite to e-mail the lecturer (although she probably won't know whether you're there or not if it's a large class) to let them know. Ask if there is anything you should do to catch up. Good idea to ask a friend to share notes with you afterwards.

There may well be a policy document buried somewhere in the departmental/university website for these situations but good luck trying to find it! Best thing is to ask a personal tutor or course leader or relevant lecturer as soon as you can.
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames
Reply 2
Original post by chazwomaq
If you have a personal tutor this is a good question to ask him or her early on.

Many universities don't monitor lecture attendance, in which case no-one will notice that you aren't there. Some do monitor attendance, in which case there might be a form to fill in or person you should e-mail.

It's polite to e-mail the lecturer (although she probably won't know whether you're there or not if it's a large class) to let them know. Ask if there is anything you should do to catch up. Good idea to ask a friend to share notes with you afterwards.

There may well be a policy document buried somewhere in the departmental/university website for these situations but good luck trying to find it! Best thing is to ask a personal tutor or course leader or relevant lecturer as soon as you can.

Thanks! Ill surely do that when i meet them during my induction week😊

Quick Reply