The Student Room Group

A-level chemistry help

Scroll to see replies

Hello,
I made this little a4 folder, which contained all my summary notes for each topic. So after i wrote my notes, I did these 1 page summary sheets which contained all the necessary information. so i would advise you to make summary notes and also make further notes for the topics you found difficult. I think exam questions are complimentary to notes, so if i saw a question which came up a million times, i would write it in my notes so i have the exact wording the examiner wants. So focus on both note taking and exam questions, but questions more. Make your notes ACTIVELY, so do not just copy a textbook, use multiple sources and paraphrase it into your own words (i think i repeated myself here :tongue:). I can send you over some stuff. This is my email if it is okay for you to contact by email: [email protected]
hope this helps.
Original post by Fakbarpoor
Hello,
Thank you. I did apply last year and got rejected by all 4 unis, but I am happy with a gap year to be honest. I am planning to volunteer in a hospital, in a community centre and in my college to help with chemistry. Also, i would like to travel for sometime after i finish all interviews (hopefully!). Other things i would like to do is focus more on what i like to do (painting,horse riding etc..) and doing online courses on future learn (they have amazing courses on any subject you like!).
Hope this helps!

Ah right- I know this is a lot of questions but do you know why you got no offers? Is there anything you would’ve done differently? It’s just that I’m currently prepping for the bmat as my ukcat was below average and I’m thinking of applying to 3 bmat universities (two of which I have an access programme for).
Hello,
I made this little a4 folder, which contained all my summary notes for each topic. So after i wrote my notes, I did these 1 page summary sheets which contained all the necessary information. so i would advise you to make summary notes and also make further notes for the topics you found difficult. I think exam questions are complimentary to notes, so if i saw a question which came up a million times, i would write it in my notes so i have the exact wording the examiner wants. So focus on both note taking and exam questions, but questions more. Make your notes ACTIVELY, so do not just copy a textbook, use multiple sources and paraphrase it into your own words (i think i repeated myself here :tongue:). I can send you over some stuff. This is my email if it is okay for you to contact by email: [email protected]
hope this helps.

Would it be okay if you sent me some over please? Let me know and I'll give you an email :smile:
Original post by honeybooooo
Ah right- I know this is a lot of questions but do you know why you got no offers? Is there anything you would’ve done differently? It’s just that I’m currently prepping for the bmat as my ukcat was below average and I’m thinking of applying to 3 bmat universities (two of which I have an access programme for).

Hello,
No it's completely fine. I was rejected because of my BMAT and UKCAT, they were average (i emailed the unis). I did the same as you, apply to 3 BMAT and 1 UKCAT unis. Make sure to apply to a uni which is not UKCAT heavy, you can find the info on the ukcat website. Hope this helps.
Original post by CupOfCaramel
Would it be okay if you sent me some over please? Let me know and I'll give you an email :smile:

Yah sure!
Hello,
No it's completely fine. I was rejected because of my BMAT and UKCAT, they were average (i emailed the unis). I did the same as you, apply to 3 BMAT and 1 UKCAT unis. Make sure to apply to a uni which is not UKCAT heavy, you can find the info on the ukcat website. Hope this helps.

Ah right, I know what you mean since I didn’t do too well on ukcat I thought I’d focus on bmat which is a bit of a risk! I’m thinking of Liverpool however I’m not sure how heavy they’ll be. Did u apply for a ukcat heavy uni?
Hello,
Liverpool is a great choice if you have amazing GCSEs because i know someone with Very low UKCAT and she got in! I think cardiff is another one and bristol(but u need an amazing Personal statement for that). This is a very good document : https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2032/msc-entry-requirements-for-uk-medical-schools.pdf and the ukcat website has a document on how med schools use it. Hope it helps.

Ah right, I know what you mean since I didn’t do too well on ukcat I thought I’d focus on bmat which is a bit of a risk! I’m thinking of Liverpool however I’m not sure how heavy they’ll be. Did u apply for a ukcat heavy uni?

Oh yea i did apply to manchester
Hello,
i did chemistry, biology and maths and got 3A*s. I am taking a gap year currently to apply to medicine (hopefully cambridge). I used to have the same timings as you and it can be difficult sometimes. However, if you utilise the study periods properly and do 1-2 hours at home each night it will be great. Don't push yourself too hard at the beginning because it can become difficult later on. Start by making notes on each topic (or whichever revision method suits you) after finishing each chapter. Use multiple resources to get the full picture e.g. chemrevise, youtube, class notes, textbook (whatever resource you feel comfortable with) when making notes. After each full chapter start questions by topic from A-levelchemistry or physics and maths tutor, it doesn't matter that they are from the old spec they are very useful!!! Then when you start covering more topics start doing old past papers (near christmas time) and save the new spec papers for a few weeks before your mock exams. Try to analyse the new mark schemes especially for the longer questions because they might do stage marking. Try to use old spec practical papers later in the year as well when you do a few practicals and also the new spec ones. I know it might seem overwhelming but it will build up and sink in slowly. Hope this helps (ask me any more questions if i wasn't clear!)

hey I am applying to med this year with 3 B's as my predicted I know they're not the A's but I have applied to unis that do clearing I was predicted a B in bio and chem and got a high B in both of my exams I really would like an A* in chemistry and an A in Biology.... did you achieve higher than your predicted? I just need some inspiration kinda lacking motivation right now things don't seem to be going well for me at the moment.
Original post by kekedoyouloveme?

hey I am applying to med this year with 3 B's as my predicted I know they're not the A's but I have applied to unis that do clearing I was predicted a B in bio and chem and got a high B in both of my exams I really would like an A* in chemistry and an A in Biology.... did you achieve higher than your predicted? I just need some inspiration kinda lacking motivation right now things don't seem to be going well for me at the moment.

Hello,
Well i came out of my exams thinking i got UUU (well more like BBB at most). Believe me i wanted to give up after my rejections and all the work i did for BMAT and UKCAT and still got AVG scores (even below AVG in BMAT). I paid so much money for all the courses and still didn't get what i want ( really doubted myself). Everything seemed to be going against me, but when i knew how many people went through the same process and still got in i got so much more motivation. I still did not do my UKCAT (dreading it), but i am still persevering and trying my best because i know if didn't give it my best shot i will regret it!! So about your grades, i thought you got predicted one higher than your actual grade?? I was predicted 3A*s, but only expected it for chemistry! It is a tough journey, but you will get there if you want it and follow the right path and procedure!
Hope this helps! you can ask me anything you want about chemistry, biology or medicine.
Hello,
Well i came out of my exams thinking i got UUU (well more like BBB at most). Believe me i wanted to give up after my rejections and all the work i did for BMAT and UKCAT and still got AVG scores (even below AVG in BMAT). I paid so much money for all the courses and still didn't get what i want ( really doubted myself). Everything seemed to be going against me, but when i knew how many people went through the same process and still got in i got so much more motivation. I still did not do my UKCAT (dreading it), but i am still persevering and trying my best because i know if didn't give it my best shot i will regret it!! So about your grades, i thought you got predicted one higher than your actual grade?? I was predicted 3A*s, but only expected it for chemistry! It is a tough journey, but you will get there if you want it and follow the right path and procedure!
Hope this helps! you can ask me anything you want about chemistry, biology or medicine.

Yeah I am really doubting myself me and my friend got the same AS grades and she got predicted AAA and I got predicted BBB which is really upsetting for me , I know predicted grades aren't everything but med schools are so strict when it comes to predicted grades I am gonna get rejected straight of the bat. It's not like I am upset with my friend for getting those predictions she worked so hard and I'm so happy for her. But I was just like her we got the same grades in every little test and she just got 2 marks higher than me in bio and chem and now shes predicted an A but when it comes to me they're like nah let's give her a B.

I guess now I really need to work hard and get 2A* and an A if that is even possible considering my predicted are 3 B's
Does anyone have the OCR B salters AS Chemistry practice papers set 1 and 2 because I would like to revise from them since the school won't print any for me? Thanks
Original post by kekedoyouloveme?
Yeah I am really doubting myself me and my friend got the same AS grades and she got predicted AAA and I got predicted BBB which is really upsetting for me , I know predicted grades aren't everything but med schools are so strict when it comes to predicted grades I am gonna get rejected straight of the bat. It's not like I am upset with my friend for getting those predictions she worked so hard and I'm so happy for her. But I was just like her we got the same grades in every little test and she just got 2 marks higher than me in bio and chem and now shes predicted an A but when it comes to me they're like nah let's give her a B.

I guess now I really need to work hard and get 2A* and an A if that is even possible considering my predicted are 3 B's

You know, predicted grades are not accurate. you must be able to achieve at least 3As. I know people who got 2A* and an A with CCC predictions. It all depends on your work ethic. If you want any help just email me or tell me on this forum. I know people aren't always fair and it is so annying and i hope that i can help!
Original post by aminamarwa
Does anyone have the OCR B salters AS Chemistry practice papers set 1 and 2 because I would like to revise from them since the school won't print any for me? Thanks

Hello,
what do you mean by set 1 and 2? and which year's papers do you want?
Reply 34
Hello,
i did chemistry, biology and maths and got 3A*s. I am taking a gap year currently to apply to medicine (hopefully cambridge). I used to have the same timings as you and it can be difficult sometimes. However, if you utilise the study periods properly and do 1-2 hours at home each night it will be great. Don't push yourself too hard at the beginning because it can become difficult later on. Start by making notes on each topic (or whichever revision method suits you) after finishing each chapter. Use multiple resources to get the full picture e.g. chemrevise, youtube, class notes, textbook (whatever resource you feel comfortable with) when making notes. After each full chapter start questions by topic from A-levelchemistry or physics and maths tutor, it doesn't matter that they are from the old spec they are very useful!!! Then when you start covering more topics start doing old past papers (near christmas time) and save the new spec papers for a few weeks before your mock exams. Try to analyse the new mark schemes especially for the longer questions because they might do stage marking. Try to use old spec practical papers later in the year as well when you do a few practicals and also the new spec ones. I know it might seem overwhelming but it will build up and sink in slowly. Hope this helps (ask me any more questions if i wasn't clear!)

Hi, how do you plan to spend your gap year?
Original post by A*my
Hi, how do you plan to spend your gap year?

Hello,
I want to do volunteering in my college, hospital and a community centre. Also i would like to do a few online courses on future learn and maybe do a course on medical sciences in open university. I would love to go back to doing more of my hobbies and also I might open a youtube channel (educational most probably). Finally, the most interesting thing i would like to do is travel after all the interviews. Also, i might do A-level arabic (it is my first language) as an external candidate. Hope i answered your question:tongue:
Hi Fatima,

Have you used Exampro for Chemistry and Biology and do you recommend using it, Please can you PM me your email so in case I need any help or get stuck I can contact you.

Thanks in advance.
Original post by helpintransfer
Hi Fatima,

Have you used Exampro for Chemistry and Biology and do you recommend using it, Please can you PM me your email so in case I need any help or get stuck I can contact you.

Thanks in advance.

Hello,
yeah definitely, this is my email: [email protected], i don't mind sharing my email! I would have loved to have exampro myself (it is amazing!!). I asked my teachers for questions from exampro. Also for bio, you can buy the tailored tutors course if you can afford it, it is amazing (you can do monthly subscriptions). Hope this helps.
Yah sure!

Would it please be possible for you to send the resources to me too? I will pm you my email.
Original post by iniajayi
Would it please be possible for you to send the resources to me too? I will pm you my email.

sorry i forgot which resource it was, can you tell me what you want plz?

Quick Reply