What A levels should I take next year if I am interested in psychology for uni?

Watch
parkavig26
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm in year 11 right now and I need to apply for my sixth form soon. I am interested in psychology so I'm sure I will be taking it if I have the chance. However I am confused on what to take with it. Biology is a popular subject that goes well with psychology but I'm really bad at it. I've been getting poor grades and my teacher isn't good at all. Is biology a really really important aspect of psychology? Can I get away without taking biology and can I please have suggestions for any other possible a levels I could take like geography, maths, sociology etc.
gryffindorjem14
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think Biology would complement psychology well and a lot of people I know have taken both, but if you don’t think you could get a good grade in it then there’s no point tbh and I don’t think it’s necessary.
Not sure if unis would want at least one science a-level but that could be chemistry, maths or even geography tbh
You can literally take anything, from people I know, geography, economics, English and history were all fairly popular.
I would look up uni requirements for psychology courses and some may also have suggestions for which a levels might be good to have
Nmys
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
To study Psychology at uni, most entry requirements say you need at least 1 Science A-level. This does include Psychology, Maths, maybe even Geography. I would suggest you ask. I studied Psychology at uni with A levels in English Literature, Psychology, and Philosophy
bubblecat
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Most universities require at least 1 science a level and this can be 1 of: psychology, maths, biology, chemistry or geography. As long as you have at least one of these subjects you can take anything else. Maths and biology are important I guess, but they teach you everything you need to know within psychology so they aren’t necessary a levels to have if you don’t like them.

I’m going to be applying to study psychology in a few months and I study psychology, sociology + history.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (127)
41.78%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (34)
11.18%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (24)
7.89%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (67)
22.04%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (33)
10.86%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
6.25%

Watched Threads