Priyanboss517
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm not sure of that many good universities for geoscience. I would preferably like the entry requirements to be ABB but most are AAB. Also do you necessarily have needed to pick A level geography to pursue a geoscience course???

All comments and advice are appreciated
username2088165
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Priyanboss517)
I'm not sure of that many good universities for geoscience. I would preferably like the entry requirements to be ABB but most are AAB. Also do you necessarily have needed to pick A level geography to pursue a geoscience course???

All comments and advice are appreciated
Aside from the obvious highly ranked unis like Oxford and Imperial, universities which have a good reputation for geology include Aberdeen, Exeter, Durham, St Andrews and Bristol.

I know it wasn't part of the question, but I would base my decision to apply more on the course content rather than the ranking of the uni/course. Although geology degrees share many fundamental topics such as sedimentology, igneous and metamorphic petrology, mineralogy and economic geology (i.e. mining, oil and gas), there is quite a lot of variation in the additional modules offered - some degrees are focused more on traditional geoscience subjects whereas others take a more cross-disciplinary approach.

An A Level in geography isn't needed, A Levels in the core sciences, geology and environmental science are sufficient (typically 2 science subjects are required)
Priyanboss517
Rep:
?
(Original post by Leviathan1741)
Aside from the obvious highly ranked unis like Oxford and Imperial, universities which have a good reputation for geology include Aberdeen, Exeter, Durham, St Andrews and Bristol.

I know it wasn't part of the question, but I would base my decision to apply more on the course content rather than the ranking of the uni/course. Although geology degrees share many fundamental topics such as sedimentology, igneous and metamorphic petrology, mineralogy and economic geology (i.e. mining, oil and gas), there is quite a lot of variation in the additional modules offered - some degrees are focused more on traditional geoscience subjects whereas others take a more cross-disciplinary approach.

An A Level in geography isn't needed, A Levels in the core sciences, geology and environmental science are sufficient (typically 2 science subjects are required)
Thank you for the advice! Its extremely helpful. You see, right now i'm struggling to decide on what i want to do at university. Everyone thinks i'm going to do electronic engineering which I am considering but i just don't know if I will enjoy it let alone be good at it. What i love is geoscience and everything about it. Electronic engineering is a really good degree and its sustainable as in it has good job prospects and would be a useful degree no matter what. Where as a degree in something like geoscience i would absolutely love learning about but I just don't know if it will be useful and have good career prospects. It a decision that i'm seriously struggling on deciding. But even with geoscience i have no clue if i will be good at it.
username2088165
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thank you for the advice! Its extremely helpful. You see, right now i'm struggling to decide on what i want to do at university. Everyone thinks i'm going to do electronic engineering which I am considering but i just don't know if I will enjoy it let alone be good at it. What i love is geoscience and everything about it. Electronic engineering is a really good degree and its sustainable as in it has good job prospects and would be a useful degree no matter what. Where as a degree in something like geoscience i would absolutely love learning about but I just don't know if it will be useful and have good career prospects. It a decision that i'm seriously struggling on deciding. But even with geoscience i have no clue if i will be good at it.
If I were in your situation, I would go for geoscience - (not just because it's my subject ) - if you pick a subject you enjoy learning about, then you're more likely to stay motivated to work hard and understand the concepts being taught. There are still a lot of job opportunities in geoscience, not just in oil and gas but also in hydrogeology, contaminated land, climate change and research. You could also consider studying geology and another subject as a joint honours degree (available at a few unis), if you don't want to limit yourself to geology only
Priyanboss517
Rep:
?
(Original post by Leviathan1741)
If I were in your situation, I would go for geoscience - (not just because it's my subject ) - if you pick a subject you enjoy learning about, then you're more likely to stay motivated to work hard and understand the concepts being taught. There are still a lot of job opportunities in geoscience, not just in oil and gas but also in hydrogeology, contaminated land, climate change and research. You could also consider studying geology and another subject as a joint honours degree (available at a few unis), if you don't want to limit yourself to geology only
That's awesome that your doing geoscience! I'm just worried if i'll be good at it as well. Because i loved the physical side of geography as i did it in year 10 which is quite a while back now. And I didn't know that you can do a joint honours with geology? What with? Because I've hardly seen any joint honours with geology, maybe for geography but i haven't seen any for geology as far as i know.
username2088165
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
That's awesome that your doing geoscience! I'm just worried if i'll be good at it as well. Because i loved the physical side of geography as i did it in year 10 which is quite a while back now. And I didn't know that you can do a joint honours with geology? What with? Because I've hardly seen any joint honours with geology, maybe for geography but i haven't seen any for geology as far as i know.
You can do a joint honours in geology at Keele (my uni) with a variety of other subjects including astrophysics, physics, biology, chemistry, geography and computer science. Joint honours geology degrees are also offered at Derby; and many unis offer joint courses in geology and physical geography
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (189)
29.3%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.43%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.99%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.37%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.91%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.84%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.89%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.26%

Watched Threads