I don't know where to start on my Personal Statement Watch

robyns2403
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am so lost with writing my personal statement. I have no idea of what to write because I am a relatively simple person. Any advice or tips?
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Have you looked at the personal statement builder on TSR? That might be a good place to start:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wik...statement_help
terminally_chill
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I had the same problem starting mine earlier, this UCAS doc helped me a lot!
https://www.ucas.com/file/4251/download?token=KIC9lMgH
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by terminally_chill)
Ignore "• How your previous studies relate to the course(s)." - that's ******** advice that teachers give out to students who don't know what to write who need to fill up space. Links between current subjects and a degree are either obvious (and a waste of space) or tenuous (and a waste of space). Admissions staff are well aware what different A levels involve and don't need that explaining to them in 50+ PSs a day.

If you want to talk about your current/previous studies then you need to be specific. Talk about a specific topic or project or piece of work that you enjoyed, what you liked about it, what you found tricky, how you approached it, what went well, what didn't go well, how it links to other things you've studied or external reading/lectures/documentaries etc etc etc. Specifics make a PS personal. Saying "Maths improved my numeracy and English gave me good communication skills" is not personal.
robyns2403
Rep:
?
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Have you looked at the personal statement builder on TSR? That might be a good place to start:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wik...statement_help
Thanks I will give it a try
robyns2403
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Ignore "• How your previous studies relate to the course(s)." - that's ******** advice that teachers give out to students who don't know what to write who need to fill up space. Links between current subjects and a degree are either obvious (and a waste of space) or tenuous (and a waste of space). Admissions staff are well aware what different A levels involve and don't need that explaining to them in 50+ PSs a day.

If you want to talk about your current/previous studies then you need to be specific. Talk about a specific topic or project or piece of work that you enjoyed, what you liked about it, what you found tricky, how you approached it, what went well, what didn't go well, how it links to other things you've studied or external reading/lectures/documentaries etc etc etc. Specifics make a PS personal. Saying "Maths improved my numeracy and English gave me good communication skills" is not personal.
Thank you. This advice is golden. Going to give it a try now hopefully it will help me get into a flow.
robyns2403
Rep:
?
(Original post by terminally_chill)
I will check it out. thanks
Plus7
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I just read other personal statements from the same course followed their structure and just reworded it haha. Don't worry, pretty sure I wrote a load of mindless crap and blabbered on but it's okay. Just don't do lame cheesy jokes or write in bad style (informal, speaking to the reader, quotes etc).

A paragraph could be what books you've read on it. Literally just don't worry and just write about why you're interested.

Oh and I got into all my Unis (applied twice for different courses too). So I conclude that they really don't care what you write as long as it's well written. (obviously Oxbridge do, but anywhere else I doubt it).
robyns2403
Rep:
?
(Original post by Plus7)
I just read other personal statements from the same course followed their structure and just reworded it haha. Don't worry, pretty sure I wrote a load of mindless crap and blabbered on but it's okay. Just don't do lame cheesy jokes or write in bad style (informal, speaking to the reader, quotes etc).

A paragraph could be what books you've read on it. Literally just don't worry and just write about why you're interested.

Oh and I got into all my Unis (applied twice for different courses too). So I conclude that they really don't care what you write as long as it's well written. (obviously Oxbridge do, but anywhere else I doubt it).
I just am struggling because i don't do anything like enrichment wise so its a bit lack luster.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by robyns2403)
I just am struggling because i don't do anything like enrichment wise so its a bit lack luster.
Focus on the course itself then - after all that's what you go to university for: your degree. Anything you feel like you don't do, you can turn into things that you are aiming to do in the future. What specific areas of interest are you really looking forward to pursuing at university?

HINT: If these particular interests are also very similar to one or two of the modules at your favourite universities, this could be helpful.
Plus7
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by robyns2403)
Oh well neither did I lol. Trust me they don't care lool.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (115)
17.37%
It's just nice to be back! (182)
27.49%
Not great so far... (238)
35.95%
I want to drop out! (127)
19.18%

Watched Threads