The Student Room Group

If you have measle and mumps can you still do the nursing degree

Original post by Muna21

I don’t understand your question, can you clarify? Are you asking about vaccinations?
:smile:
Reply 2
My friend has applied for the nursing and they have asked for a GP occupational group form which is about the vaccinations she has had in the past. She had a blood test recently and it shows that measles and mumps have been detetected and The rubella level is 45. She now has to send the results back to the university and she is wondering whether those results will affect her place at her university for adult nursing as she will be doing placement
If she’s immune then it’s not a problem.
You need to have been vaccinated against MMR. Check your red book immunisations page.
Reply 5
Ok so even you have been immune ata young age But the blood test shows that mmr is detected in you body system

The blood test also shows that her rubella levels is 45 but the average needs to be a 10 the least
will that affect her place at the university as the disease is contagious
(edited 5 years ago)
i am not sure you understand how diseases, vaccines and blood tests relate to one another and therefore you are presenting information in a really weird way, which i cannot understand (but maybe i am just stupid)
if a person x either had the disease y, or the vaccination for y, the test would turn up positive for the disease (depending upon the kind of test, ofc). i am not going to go into the details of the biology of how it works. either way, i would say you should be honest about everything. if you are not, i am not sure you belong anywhere in the healthcare field. if you are willing to lie about this, can i really trust you with my life?
Reply 8
No body is talking about lying
Reply 9
You have completely misunderstood my question
Original post by Muna21
You have completely misunderstood my question

Maybe that’s because, for whatever reason, your question is poorly worded.

If if your friend has mumps or measles, they will have symptoms and be infective. I’d have imagined that would have prompted them to see their doctor beforehand. If they have been infected with measles or bumps in the past, they will have antibodies to these viruses, which are usually what is detected on a blood test, it shows that the person being tested has developed immunity to these viruses through past exposure to them.

If your friend is not immune to rubella, then it’s likely they will offer to vaccinate them with the MMR vaccine prior to them being able to go onto clinical placement.
Reply 11
Ok thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending